Best 8 string pickup set out of these?

• Thread starter MaxAidingAres
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
Hello i have an 8 string guitar that I'm buying new pickups for, my most favorite pickups ive played to date were the custom5/jazz set from seymour duncan. Obviously SD doesnt offer these in 8 string sets and i dont want to go custom. I'm going for a decently pushed PAF sound that isnt mid heavy and pretty crisp and clear across the strings

Ive narrowed my choices down to
SD Pegasus/Sentient
SD Alpha/Omega
Dimarzio Eclipse

I'm open to other pickup brands but trying to keep the cost below $300 if possible. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
In my opinion the closest Duncans to a Custom5/Jazz are the Pegasus/Sentient.
Here is a pretty good comparison video that shows how similar the Pegasus and Custom 5 are. The Pegasus has more mids and lower output though.

The Omega is a little more scooped in the mids, like a Custom 5, but doesn't have as much low end.
I don't know much about the eclipse so can't help there.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
pegasus has a rounder/spongier low end than the omega and is a bit more mellow in terms of output. It'll do nearly any genre you throw at it but it isn't the tightest tracking pickup around so it takes some tweaking for super tight technical riffing. Slightly darker sounding than the omega or eclipse but still clear on the low end. If you swap a ceramic mag into a pegasus it's essentially an omega (I a/b'd the 2 of them and it's pretty obvious).
omega has a snarly midrange and is my personal favorite out of the 3 sets (also the most versatile imo, has nice cleans with good spanky split sounds). Great for modern metal/death metal and even stuff like jazz/blues when you roll off the volume/tone knobs. Very clear sounding overall.
eclipse feels the hottest of the 3 in terms of output and has a relatively mid forward voicing like the omega. Feels quite aggressive and modern overall. cleans are good, split sounds aren't that great imo.
It really depends on what you want exactly. If you want the most versatile overall I'd take the pegasus or omega (depending on budget/ whether the snarling midrange is your thing).
I have soundclips of all 3 here :
https://soundcloud.com/skwisgaar-sandervaal/sets/overload-rea-8-pickup-shootout

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
Nice clips. I dig the pegasus the most from the three different sound clips from each pickup. The eclipses have the thing that all dimarzios have that i hate which is this mushy lowend. The omega is nice but it sounds similar to the lundgren m8 i have in my agile pendulum. I'm heavily considering the pegasus now

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Nice clips. I dig the pegasus the most from the three different sound clips from each pickup. The eclipses have the thing that all dimarzios have that i hate which is this mushy lowend. The omega is nice but it sounds similar to the lundgren m8 i have in my agile pendulum. I'm heavily considering the pegasus now
If you want a tighter low end then the omega would work better. the pegasus has a spongy/looser bottom end compared to the eclipse/omega. It's not really flubby per se but it's not super tight/stiff like the m8 either.
Here's a comparison of the pegasus/ceramic pegasus vs the omega:
http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/ceramic-pegasus-vs-omega-comparison.322708/

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
The Pegasus/Sentient is the closest set to the Jazz/Custom 5. The Custom 5 is severely scooped, though, and while the Pegasus isn't as scooped, I think the overall tone is better than the Custom 5 (on a non-mid heavy guitar). The Sentient is actually not far off from a Jazz neck.

Latest posts