Best amp for post/sludge/atmospheric metal

• Thread starter Sephirangel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sephirangel

Reaction score
Hi there!

I am new to the forums so hello!

I am looking for a new amp. I tend to play a bit of everything but my band is a doom metal band with a melodic edge and I want peoples opinions in regards to which amps I should be looking at.

I have played a few Engl's and while they are pretty awesome, I can't help feel that they are better suited to tech metal players etc.

Any ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
If you can afford Engl, Matamp or Orange sounds like it would suit you. Or if you want something more budget friendly, look into a Laney GH100TI or GH100L.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I think a few people here have had some fun with the GH100L and VH100R (Basically the same thing, just with a clean channel).

But for a doomy sound, the GH100TI has to be my favorite.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
I use a Vh100R and I highly recommend them. Has plenty of gain, and it roars like no other. It is a bit "dry" and it's quite expressive, so you'll hear just what you play. Very versatile amp with awesome features. Love mine tons. I'm running it through an Emperor 2x12 and it's super loud and ballsy.

Look around for old Laney AORs, Peavey Butchers/VTMs, and, of course, old Sunn heads. Original Model Ts have been rather pricey lately, though.

You can also buy doom in a can:
fz2.jpg

Jus Oborn's (Electric Wizard) distortion tone is pretty much that pedal + a clean Sound City 120. Or Orange/Matamp, or whatever high-wattage amp.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
When i see "atmospheric" and "a bit of everything" i think effects - maybe something with some built in effects? Spider Valve, Vyper tube series - When does the blackstar modeler come out?

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
I used to own an ENGL, and I kind of agree with what you said they seem best for faster playing. There is no sag, or warmth.

I suggest, 5150, or Dual/Triple Rectifier, or even the Peavey XXX (around $400 used? can't go wrong).

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
Hi there!

I have played a few Engl's and while they are pretty awesome, I can't help feel that they are better suited to tech metal players etc.

Any ideas?

As a current Engl owner... I agree. They are best suited for the faster, more technical, more articulate stuff.
:shred:

My recommendation would be a Mesa Dual Recto.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
I used to own an ENGL, and I kind of agree with what you said they seem best for faster playing. There is no sag, or warmth.

I suggest, 5150, or Dual/Triple Rectifier, or even the Peavey XXX (around $400 used? can't go wrong).

Dual/Triple Rectos are a good choice as well. Aaron Turner of Isis used, I believe, a Dual Rectifier for Mosquito Control. I'm not certain if he used it on later albums.
I've also seen him using Sunn Model Ts, and, towards the end of Isis' duration, a VHT/Fryette Ultra-Lead.

One guitarist in Pelican uses a Triple Rectifier, the other a Sunn Model T.
The guitarist of Russian Circles uses a Sunn Model T.

The Model T is pretty much the doom/sludge/post-metal amp. :lol:

Sephirangel

Reaction score
Everyone says model T on a few forums, but they are very expensive! (Suppose because of their rarity and awesomeness).

Again, a few people saying Laney's. My M13 comes with a few fuzzes which sound good.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Everyone says model T on a few forums, but they are very expensive! (Suppose because of their rarity and awesomeness).

Well, if you want a cheaper Sunn amp, theres always the Beta Lead. Its solid state, but it can get some pretty good, sludgy tones.

Case in point:

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
^I have a Beta Bass and it is that tone. Killer sound for doom.
Sunn Concert Lead is another good one to look out for.