Best amp for post/sludge/atmospheric metal

• Thread starter Sephirangel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Pretty incredible, right? I've been told the guy is super down to earth and super cool too. :yesway:

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
That reminded me of this:

Navtone.
Really small amp maker out in California. Sounds pretty good to me. No idea how to contact the guy though.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
Okay aside from the fact that my guitar tech buddy barely missed the opportunity to purchase an old Sunn Model T head from Goodwill for $100 today (he got there when it went on reserve! :( ), this thread is putting me in a stoney sludgey mood and I like the GAS that it fuels me :yesway:

:)

Also came in here to recommend Laneys! :metal:

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I recommend a Dual/Triple Rectifier, or a 5150/6505 as well! Gainy, huge tone out of these amps. Don't really listen to sludge much, but I know The Ocean used rectos for a while, and Precambrian is one of my favorite metal albums ever!

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Well, before I had a brain aneurysm and went solid state, I really enjoyed my Laney GH50L. It's dirt cheap and very good for this sort of stuff. Orange amps are still the tits for the sort of thing though, no matter what.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Okay aside from the fact that my guitar tech buddy barely missed the opportunity to purchase an old Sunn Model T head from Goodwill for $100 today (he got there when it went on reserve! :( ), this thread is putting me in a stoney sludgey mood and I like the GAS that it fuels me :yesway:

:)

Also came in here to recommend Laneys! :metal:

When I saw Sunn Model T for $100... What? I wish I could find shit like that...

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
^This, precisely. I couldn't even think straight for a moment.

Also, what about old Laney Klipps?

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
When I saw Sunn Model T for $100... What? I wish I could find shit like that...

yeah I know... I never see them like that either. My buddy is an old school guitar tech for the last 25 years and he frequents goodwills and pawn shops looking for sweet amps. He went to Goodwill yesterday and found a Model T that was sold already for $100! I was like NOOO damn when I heard this :scream:

Oh well lol.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
I REALLY wish I would have kept my Laney GH50L, since a couple months after I let it go I decided to start writing an album full of sludgeyness.

rug

Reaction score
A bit on the pricey side (or not, depending on how much you consider pricey), but the Orange Thunderverb 200 would probably work out well for you. Especially since it's 200 watts...so it's twice as loud as a 100 watt amp!!!! Sludge needs to be LOUD!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Atomshipped

Reaction score
A bit on the pricey side (or not, depending on how much you consider pricey), but the Orange Thunderverb 200 would probably work out well for you. Especially since it's 200 watts...so it's twice as loud as a 100 watt amp!!!! Sludge needs to be LOUD!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
200W is not twice as loud as 100W... ~1000W is twice as loud as 100W. You will never even crank a 50W all the way for any gig. Lower wattage would actually be better for the sound he's trying to get as it would allow for more power amp distortion at lower volume levels.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score

rug

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would believe I was serious, and I just got my answer. :D

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Pretty incredible, right? I've been told the guy is super down to earth and super cool too. :yesway:

I can vouch for this. He posts quite a bit in the doom room thread in the fx forum at HC. Cool dude and very responsive and informative

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
And his amps sound like absolute sex. :agreed: