Best inlay ever thread

• Thread starter crowbones
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Polythoral

Hipster Mustaine
Reaction score
Always been a fan of this.

Ibanez6.jpg

Yesss, the Ibby offset 12th fret thing is so awesome, I love my S5470's.

KkHZH3N.jpg

Their offset dots in general are fantastic, by far the best standard sorta inlay I've ever seen.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I think if you have a thread like this you have to start by mentioning Larry Robinson, then about 50 images later you can start to bring in some other guys. He's not well known on these forums since he mostly gets commissioned for high end acoustics, but unbelievably detailed inlays.

img_5690e.jpg

img_5681e.jpg

Art-Nouveau-fingerboard-detail1.jpg

One of the only guys that can inlay faces that actually maintain some personality:

And yes, some of his stuff is really gaudy, but customers ask for what they ask for.

IkarusOnFire

Reaction score
Well, I love both intricate and simply inlays. I designed a simple one for my latest custom :) So while there are many awesome inlays out there, this would have to be my favourite right now.

gt_fretboardinlay_zpse162d8e5.jpg

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I absolutely love the water drop inlay on that Daemoness. I really like the one on EtherealEntity's 9 string ViK, too.

But holy fucking mother of shit those Larry Robinson ones are incredible. :eek:
Some of them are gaudy, sure but the immense amount of detail is flabbergasting. Just, holy shit man. /thread indeed.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Those Celtic knots are incredibly hard to do on any medium...much less as an inlay. Many kudos to that artist as well as all the other talents here. I couldn't even imagine trying to figure out how to do that

daemonessaxes

Reaction score
Someone told me about this thread, thanks guys for your praise of my work. Larry Robinson is the absolute outstanding hero of inlays, and I alway look at his book "the art of inlay" for inspiration in what I do. I'm glad he's getting more props in our metal community. I'm just putting this little message up to tell people about the work of a fantastically talented but little known lady called Athena Kekenes. Her website seems to be down but her work can be viewed on her facebook here..

http://www.facebook.com/athena.kekenes/photos_stream

Her work is beyond incredible and I think she is open to commissions.

CaptainLuckeyBeard

El Capitan
Reaction score
I know its not completed, but I'm crazy excited about this inlay. I'm a little out there to say the least so I wanted a bass that reflected that. The inlay will glow red in the center and fade out to a white on the edges :metal:

Attachments

• Final concept.jpg
    Final concept.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 166