bestest-ish drum software 2022?

• Thread starter thebeesknees22
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It was about the same tbh. I don't get crashing though. The main issues I have are sometimes hits being cut short and it doesn't seem to save presets with everything I've changed. i.e.) it won't actually save the output settings on the individual mics and i have to reset those every time I put down a new one. Perhaps that's user error on my part, or maybe that's just a limitation of kontakt.

Oh i'm on a macbook pro 2019. I haven't tried it yet, but i'm wondering it it would be more consistent if I did a purge before printing.

edit: i'm running multi outs always. And I'm in Cubase fwiw (which my issues could be cubase related as well)
Maybe it's an Apple/Cubase issue, or just a configuration thing?

I use Reaper and render/bounce the whole session. I used to print stuff being a former Pro Tools user, because it couldn't handle having a moderate amount of plugins and VI's running and crashed frequently. I haven't had that problem since changing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe it's an Apple/Cubase issue, or just a configuration thing?

I use Reaper and render/bounce the whole session. I used to print stuff being a former Pro Tools user, because it couldn't handle having a moderate amount of plugins and VI's running and crashed frequently. I haven't had that problem since changing.
It very well could be. I don't remember having the issue on cubase 10, but it's definitely been there from 10.5 - 12. I'll have to do some more digging and see what might be optimized

tedtan

Reaction score
I don’t have have issues with Kontakt on a last gen intel i9 based Macbook Pro, so the Kontakt issue may be related to the new M1 processor. Kontakt is supposed be compatible, but it is the only NI software they state is compatible with the new Apple processors and may still have some hiccups. Also, you may need to make sure your OS and Kontakt are up to date, as, I think, they have only been compatible as of the last couple of months.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don’t have have issues with Kontakt on a last gen intel i9 based Macbook Pro, so the Kontakt issue may be related to the new M1 processor. Kontakt is supposed be compatible, but it is the only NI software they state is compatible with the new Apple processors and may still have some hiccups. Also, you may need to make sure your OS and Kontakt are up to date, as, I think, they have only been compatible as of the last couple of months.
oh yeah actually mine (for better or worse) was riiiiight before the M1's got released. So i'm not on that. Everything is up to date though.

It's probably just some settings that I need to adjust in either cubase or kontakt.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I can run 10 tracks of amp sims, a bunch of Ample Sound Guitar and Toontrack Drums + bass plus lots of mixing plug-ins with barely using a few percent of CPU power, a Logic project loads in a few seconds but one instance of Kontakt bricks my M1 Mac. Audio stuttering, freezing, clicks, pops, lagging audio, CPU up at 90% etc

People are reporting other programs are doing the same with the M1 chips. I don't understand how Toontrack and many other programs work flawless without an update yet some other programs are unusable even with updates. The companies blame Apple but that doesn't explain how other companies have had no issues.

Masoo2

Reaction score
I'm really liking the bandmate feature of EZDrummer 3 - works much better than I anticipated, especially due to having a large MIDI library. I've never found EZDrummer to be "too" premixed though, it's just nowhere near as raw as Superior.

Other than that, current favorites include:
- Prenc Audio Kinglake Drums - my preferred raw library. Check here for some examples of quick demos I've made with the library:

- Roomsound Kurt Ballou Drums - great library but a little bit different stylistically
- Perfect Drums - my preference for a drag-and-drop premixed library
- Ugritone Kvlt Drums II and Riot Drums II - great for rawer type mixes, used them in some grindcore/powerviolence-type demos

I've always had varied results with Getgood Drums, not sure why. Modern and Massive is my favorite of them, though I would like to check out the One Kit Wonder Metal and Architects packs.

Really want to check out premixed packs from Mixwave, they seem fantastic.

Skimmed over the a bit thread and saw some mentions of Kontakt problems, so apologies if I through in too many libraries for you OP.

Last edited:

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
...The companies blame Apple but that doesn't explain how other companies have had no issues.
I can't comment on the specifics for these programs, but often the blame is misplaced. For example, >90% of the software that stopped working on Catalina was due to the fact that Apple had been saying for over a decade: Don't write new 32-bit apps and port your 32-bit code to 64-bits. But, developers not only did not port their code, but wrote new 32-bit code.

With the M1 issues there are three basic areas for problems:
1) Use of depreciated APIs that just simply don't play nice in Monterey and/or Rosetta II (the Intel on M1 emulator)
2) Shortcuts, bad code and/or use of undocumented/unofficial APIs/internals that do not work well through Rosetta II
3) Shortcuts, bad code and/or use of undocumented/unofficial APIs/internals that do not work well even when compiled natively for the M1 Macs
4) APIs that have been depreciated without modern replacements and/or are buggy on Monterey/M1 Macs
5) Valid Intel code that just simply doesn't play nice in Rosetta II

Only the last two can be blamed on Apple. I would say the majority of issues with current hardware and/or macOS, falls into the first three categories. Then, add to the issues you have developers like Line 6, Razer, etc. that don't utilize the developers' releases, so they even start testing for compatibility until after the latest OS/hardware starts shipping.

Rowboat

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can't see ever being able to throw money at a Mac. The Asus B550 rig I built has Thunderbolt 3 baked in, UA Apollo works fine (for what it's worth: a pricey paperweight to run a few plugins). I switched to Quantum 2626 because I got fed up with the Apollo's insufficient line ins/outs. No problems running Cubase, Mixbus 32c and Softube Console.

Riffage

Reaction score
Ive only used EZ2 And SD3. I was getting pretty solid results out of EZ2, but the samples were processed, & the difficulty of editing midi using piano roll was a pain in the ass.
Using SD3, the samples are raw, but they have presets, & editing midi is much easier. SD3 is more of a perfectionists/tweakers paradise, but the results leave MY listeners pretty much clueless as to whether it a real drummer or not.

MystycalFanfare

Reaction score
Choose Toontrack and looking no further. AD2 is good also, their newest Fairfax and United is damn good but it has mapped differently, things you must have to consider. GGD is okay but sounds lil bit fake. I believe it's because lack of round robin numbers and dynamic layers, and you will sounds like thousands of djent guy on the internet.

JoeuJGM

Reaction score
I've used AD2 for years, had SD before that, and I feel no need to try out GGD or anything else. The interface is intuitive and I don't need to do much to get it sounding good in a mix. The kits have good dynamic range and sound very natural to my ears. I've gotta be honest, they all sound the same to me (quality wise) when properly mixed. Between the top drum programs, it seems entirely a matter of picking one that suits your needs (kits, samples, integrated eq/mixing features, etc.).

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Kind of annoying superior drummer 3 doesn't do a demo/trial version. It's kinda a lot of money to throw down to hope one likes the workflow 🤔

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I use BFD which is not the most intuitive interface but much like the Fractal lineup, once you've gotten in there a bit it pretty much covers anything you'd need to do.