Big cabinets going out of style? (New cab day)

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Last time I played my 4x12 was years ago. It was left in a friend's house before COVID, so I may not see it for a long time.

Several years ago, I got a little stereo 2x8 cabinet loaded with Celestion and EarCandy 100 watt drivers so that I would have a compact and portable cabinet capable of handling my Mesa Simul 2:Ninety.

I was able to get a little Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 1x12, but always find it harsh and lacking depth. I have yet to figure out if it is the small internal space of the cab, a lack of break-in, or just the overall build.
20230528_225626 2.jpg
But, that brings me to my current new toy... I snagged a Mesa/Boogie Road King 2x12 (stereo, Vintage 30 and Mesa-Celestion Black Shadow MC-90 loaded) cab and put it in my studio this weekend. It plays really nicely with that little EarCandy stereo cabinet, although it does take up a huge amount of floor space, being a full 30" wide by 14" deep. The sound of the speaker combination is smooth, full, and robust. The MC-90 does a great job of compensating for the Vintage 30's midrange peaks.

Anyone else loving 2x12, 2x10, or even 2x8 cabs in any combination?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Ah you had me confused. My old bandmate now runs a 612 and a few other friends do too. I am still sane :lol:

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Ah you had me confused. My old bandmate now runs a 612 and a few other friends do too. I am still sane :lol:
If I get my old Crate 4x12 back, I may pull off a 3/4 stack at some point. With as heavy as the Road King 2x12 was, I would be wary of the 4x12 version at 109 lbs. I used to run two 4x12 cabs side by side. That seems a bit excessive since I am not actively gigging though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

0rimus

Reaction score
Kinda expensive for what it is/was but Quilter makes a little weird 2x8 speaker cab thing that was the best sound I ever got outside of 12" speakers. It was pretty badass. Despite the price I've often thought about picking up another one.

Reaction score
At home I have 2x 112 home made cabs that seldom get used (when there's no wife and kids around and is daylight time, but I mostly play with headphones at home) but in the rehearsal studios I generally go to, I use 2x 412 cabs... It helps to keep the overall volume relatively low (it's at half way both channels' volumes) and still have a good sound dispersion (?). everyone can hear me well, myself included...

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I use a Mesa 2x12 with the 3/4 back; it's an awesome general use cab. It's compact but fills the room a little more having the semi-open back, while still having a bit of thump. Mine has a V30 and an M65 creamback.

I have a Mesa OS 4x12 also, but it would be way too much for a lot of the venues here IMO. People still jam with 4x12s in those places, but I feel like it's usually too much unless the stage and room are properly big enough to accommodate for it.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
I literally got a 1x12 delivered today (just a Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30) after only playing through those tiny Orange PPC108 cabinets (the ones that are matched to the Micro Dark) for the last few years. My initial reaction after getting it out of the box was "damn, this thing's huge". Those Orange micro cabs are impressive for how small they are, but they still sound small.

I have an Orange PPC112 and an EarCandy 2x8 ("Bailey", I think) in storage back in the US. Miss them both but they're probably not worth the cost of shipping over here.

I don't really play out, and I have neighbors so it really doesn't make sense for me to get anything larger than a 1x12.

Shask

Reaction score
I mostly use a 412 and 212 in stereo to play at home. I also have a few other 212s in another room.

I keep thinking about buying more higher quality 412 cabs because I think it would sound better, but I always wonder if that is extreme overkill and just silly for the space it takes and playing at home. My studio monitors / sub setup it plenty loud enough and takes up far less space. I can never decide on what direction I want to go, so I just stick with what I have.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Kinda expensive for what it is/was but Quilter makes a little weird 2x8 speaker cab thing that was the best sound I ever got outside of 12" speakers. It was pretty badass. Despite the price I've often thought about picking up another one.
I think that Quilter was using the Celestion TF0818 speakers in those. I recall reading some reviews while I was searching for small speakers. The TF series are considered PA midrange drivers, but they carry downtuned, 7 string, and extended range guitars really well!

0rimus

Reaction score
Yeah, I like to slap those TF0818's into those little Orange PPC 8" cabs or the Randall ones. They work great, especially for higher wattage.

But there is some magic to the design of the Quilter Frontliner beyond just the speakers.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are millennials killing off the full stack?
What's the point of owning a full stack when you can't crank it without offering a soul to the devil just to be able to afford a house. A cabin in the woods with a diesel generator maybe..

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Are millennials killing off the full stack?
I am that weird generation between Gen X & millennial. I have thought that full stacks were a bit much for a long time. I would love a 3/4 stack at some point, but more for just appearance rather than actual need for volume. Anything jamming without a drummer, I can get along with my Mark 525 and EarCandy cab. I pretty much got the Mesa Road King for more variety of sounds for recording rather than the need to move more air.

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I went from a 4x12 to 2x12 to 8x10 and back to 2x12. I think the larger cabs are overkill at this point. Any place that doesn't mic you is probably small.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
So I had some time today to A/B/C my cabinets pictured above.

The Mesa 1x12 mini Rectifier sounds significantly thinner than just running through the Vintage 30 side of the Road King 2x12.

I am stuck wondering if the cabinet depth is making that much of a difference or if the speaker in the 1x12 just hasn't had a good break-in period. I have never really cranked the 1x12 since it always sounded harsh on its own. I have pretty much always used it to just reinforce the sounds I was getting from my 2x12 combo or my 2x8 cabinet.

Any ideas?

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I would love a 3/4 stack at some point, but more for just appearance rather than actual need for volume.

I mean, I have my Peavey that's already loud enough to keep up with a PA sitting on a Marshall 412 because it looks cool and makes me happy, and I keep one the amps I actually use on top of that.

amps.jpg

jonsick

Reaction score
I mean, if you're sat at home and doing your thing, or you particularly want a small rig, go for it.

For me, I'm all about the big 4x12s. If they're going out of style, that's grand. I'll hoover some choice pieces up on the used market while everyone goes with that flow. To me, I know what I like the sound of. And small cabs and digital stuff isn't it.