Black Label Society is pretty cool!

• Thread starter Brett89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I really don't get why people are so pissed off about the Ozzfest thing with Iron Maiden. Bruce Dickenson made fun of Ozzy while playing Ozzfest(which is a really stupid and ass like thing to do), so Sharon ,being a total bitch, ruined the Iron Maiden performances. Both sides fucked up. How the hell can Black Label Society be dead to someone because Zakk took the side of someone that gave him a career.

Actually, I got the impression Zakk just wanted to stay out of the whole thing whenever he was asked about it afterwards.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
How the hell can Black Label Society be dead to someone because Zakk took the side of someone that gave him a career.

The Black Label Society crew, groupies, and evidently even a few members of the band were the ones who started throwing eggs at Iron Maiden. It wasn't fans, it was BLS and their entourage themselves. That's how.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
This thread got me listening to old Zakk again.

In the mid-late 90's all I cared about was Vai, Petrucci and Wylde.

I was 13 or so when I saw the video for "Perry Mason" and thought the guitars sounded fucking badass. So ballsy and those fucking pinch harmonics! Got that album then bought the Live & Loud VHS...then No More Tears. That dude had a huge influence on me in my early days.

Ozzy Osbourne Live and Loud.dvd1.1993. full - YouTube

I was stoked when I heard about the first BLS record coming out...loved the first 2-3 albums then just stopped paying attention. Still watch a ton of Zakk vids on youtube though, from all the years.

Even though he's been using the same rig for years, his tone back in the day was better to.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I was stoked when I heard about the first BLS record coming out...loved the first 2-3 albums then just stopped paying attention. Still watch a ton of Zakk vids on youtube though, from all the years.

Yeah this. Obviously the band is tremendous, and their live shows are incredible, and he's a fantastic, fantastic guitarist. But the last few albums have been low on inspiration. Though The Order Of The Black was a lot better I feel that they didn't try very hard for a long time writing-wise, from Hangover Music (which I liked) on for a good 5 or 6 years the songs just weren't that great.

Would LOVE to see them live though, they have a great back catalogue by this point, even if the standout songs are almost entirely from the first three albums.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Seen BLS twice at festivals, they came two years in a row at hellfest and it was the same exact damn show, props and song order included. And with that annoying 10 mn solo that gets the crowd yawning.
The no more tears album is one of the records that seriously got me into something else than thrash metal and to me Ozzy=Zakk, was too young to get their previous records at their time of release.

slapnutz

Reaction score
I'm a "aware of a distance" BLS listener ... but I do love this song which was a cover...

..just love how much more darker/mellow it is.

ChaNce

Auto-banned?
Reaction score
Yeah this. Obviously the band is tremendous, and their live shows are incredible, and he's a fantastic, fantastic guitarist. But the last few albums have been low on inspiration. Though The Order Of The Black was a lot better I feel that they didn't try very hard for a long time writing-wise, from Hangover Music (which I liked) on for a good 5 or 6 years the songs just weren't that great.

Would LOVE to see them live though, they have a great back catalogue by this point, even if the standout songs are almost entirely from the first three albums.

No, you really don't need to bother seeing them live. The live DVD is pretty good, but now Zakk is just a parody of himself. I saw them with Sevendust a few years back, basically sing-dap chest-point to sky-play-spit-dap chest-point to sky- repeat.

Made it 2.5 songs before I left. This someone, btw, who watches/listens to the Budokan disc religiously.

Randyrhoads123

Got a 7
Reaction score
:squint: I like them.

They are what they are, and I like everything they've put out up until Order of the Black. It just doesn't sound as good as anything else they've done and it's just lazily written. I think that's mostly due to Zakk recording everything at his home studio with one engineer, as opposed to an actual pro studio.

klami

Reaction score
Saw them at Norway Rock Festival in 2011 and left halfway in Zakk's 15-20 min solo. I just couldn't be bothered.
Not my cup of tea at all :shrug:

cronux

Reaction score
i love BLS!

but my favorite album is 1919 and all that early stuff, zakk had a deeper voice and the solos were more diverse. one of his best performances (at least imo) are Boozed, Broozed & Broken-Boned: Live With The Detroit Chapter dvd and Live at Budokan with Ozzy. still jack off on the older stuff, something like

SloeGin

Reaction score
I'd take random web clips from SS.org members over anything Zakk's done since 1991's No More Tears album.

You clearelly haven't listened to Pride&Glory and Book Of Shadows buddy!

craigny

Winning...duh
Reaction score
Love me some BLS...its just some good time rock n roll man, nothing more nothing less.......Blessed Hellride is probably my favorite, i also dig 1919 Eternal and Mafia too...i think people get on Zakk too much for the squealie thing, yeah he does it alot...its his trademark, like Robb Flynn doing those harmonics on his riffs....like them or not you cant deny Zakk's ability though, the guy is a monster player...check some vids of him playing outside of BLS..