Black Water Guitar Company

• Thread starter explosivo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

explosivo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've spent the past few months stockpiling lumber and tooling up/prepping my new shop space, and now I'm finally ready to open the doors and start taking orders.

I've got four prototypes in the works (two sixes, a baritone seven, and a fanned-fret eight) with a bunch of build progress pics that I'll post here when I get a chance (most of them are uploaded here).

Check out the site and let me know what you guys think :)
Black Water Guitars

Thanks,
Aaron.

explosivo

Reaction score
The seven and eight string prototypes will be for sale when completed. The single-cut six string is spoken for, and I'm keeping the neck-through six around for a shop guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

explosivo

Reaction score
Some specs? Sure.

Carved-Top Seven
Body: African mahogany w/ flame maple cap
Neck: 5pc African mahogany/padauk/flame maple w/ scarf joint
Fretboard: Wenge
Headstock Plate: Wenge
Scale Length: 27.00"
Number of Frets: 24
Construction: Bolt-on w/ threaded inserts and stainless bolts
Electronics: SD Invader (bridge), generic (neck) - if sold, I'll install pickups of the buyer's choice (off-the-shelf SD's or Dimarzio's - or different pickups if provided by the buyer)
Controls: 1 vol. 1 tone & pickup selector switch
Tuners/bridge are generic units, and if sold, I'll install hardware of the buyer's choice.

Price will be in the neighborhood of $1200-1500, depending on hardware/pickup choices.

Fanned-Fret Eight
Body: Padauk w/ wenge flat top
Neck: Goncalo Alves
Fretboard: East Indian Rosewood
Headstock plate: Wenge
Scale Lengths: 28.00" - 25.00", 7th fret parallel
Number of Frets: 24
Construction: Bolt-on w/threaded inserts and stainless bolts
Electronics: Lace Deathbars
Controls: 1 vol. 1 tone & pickup selector switch
The bridge are some custom aluminum baseplates that I had cut on a waterjet with stainless steel Gotoh-style saddles

Not sure on the pricing on this one yet. I'll have a more clear idea once it's complete, or at least closer to complete.

But as far as custom pricing goes, it's going to be in the neighborhood of $1300 or so to start and then go up from there depending on the options.

explosivo

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the eight string fanned fret:

120115_092.jpg

Gluing the wenge laminate to the padauk body.

120115_093.jpg

120116_094.jpg

AutoCAD layout of the fretboard, to be used as reference while slotting the board.

120116_095.jpg

Unclamped and trimmed to shape. I'm loving the wenge/padauk contrast.

120116_096.jpg

120118_097.jpg

Gluing up the scarf joint on the goncola alves neck.

MetalGravy

Making a meat suit
Reaction score
The back of the neck on that sixer looks pretty flat. Am I seeing that right? Will the 7 and 8 have similar neck profiles? What is the radius on the 7 and 8?

Those are some saxxy, saxxy axes!

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Whoa... Will you be making ERGs like this? I love that upper horn. Reminds me of Claypool's basses. :yum:

11.jpg

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
Sexy guitars man, and solid pricing. Careful not to get too overwhelmed with orders, with those prices you can expect a lot of inquiries :lol:

Good luck with this, I'll check back in frequently to see some of your work :cheers:

explosivo

Reaction score
The back of the neck on that sixer looks pretty flat. Am I seeing that right? Will the 7 and 8 have similar neck profiles? What is the radius on the 7 and 8?

Those are some saxxy, saxxy axes!

The neck on the six is very thin (~0.750" at the first fret, 0.850" where it starts transitioning into the body), but it is round and feels really comfy in my hand. The seven and eight should have a relatively similar profile, but be a tad thicker.

Radius is 12" on both the sixes and the seven. The eight string will get a flatter radius, something like a 16 or a 20.

Whoa... Will you be making ERGs like this? I love that upper horn. Reminds me of Claypool's basses. :yum:

http://www.blackwaterguitars.com/pics/11.jpg
Haha, yeah. I'm a huge Primus fan and love the shape of Carl Thompson basses.

I actually have been wanting to make another guitar in that style for myself for a while now (the spalted guitar in the header image is a better idea of the shape), and yeah, I'm totally willing to do that shape in extended ranges (the lower horn shape would actually suit ERGs really well).

Sexy guitars man, and solid pricing. Careful not to get too overwhelmed with orders, with those prices you can expect a lot of inquiries :lol:

Good luck with this, I'll check back in frequently to see some of your work :cheers:

Thanks man :)

I'm trying to walk that fine line between pricing that drives business off (too high) and pricing that drives me under (too low).

Qweklain

Reaction score
Wow, that single cut in the "Guitar Gallery" looks gorgeous!! Do you do/plan on offering a 7-string model of that with a possibility of fanned-fret?

explosivo

Reaction score
Wow, that single cut in the "Guitar Gallery" looks gorgeous!! Do you do/plan on offering a 7-string model of that with a possibility of fanned-fret?

And yes, I'll gladly build anything you see in the gallery with 6, 7, or 8 strings, straight scale or multi-scale.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
@explosivo - Something like the one in the header is exactly what I had in mind actually.... YGPM

explosivo

Reaction score
I got some more work done on the prototypes this weekend.

Eight-String
120121_008.jpg

Extra bits glued on the headstock.

120122_013.jpg

Removed most of the neck pocket material with a forstner bit.

120122_014.jpg

The neck pocket, routed.

120122_015.jpg

Laying out the pickup/bridge locations.

120122_016.jpg

A nice, tight neck pocket and some big old routes for 4.5" wide Lace Alumitone Deathbars.

120122_017.jpg

120122_018.jpg

120122_019.jpg

I'm personally a huge fan of the core wood showing through the cap wood at the forearm curve.

120122_025.jpg

The body carves roughed out.

120122_026.jpg

The heel carve, roughed out.

120122_027.jpg

We're getting there... pretty sleek, but we can do better, right?

120122_028.jpg

120122_029.jpg

120122_030.jpg

Not too shabby for a bolt-on neck heel, eh?

explosivo

Reaction score
Six-string Single Cut
120121_006.jpg

120121_007.jpg

A nice, tight neck joint. Roughly a 2° angle for the non-recessed TOM style roller bridge.

120121_009.jpg

All marked out for the top carve "stair-stepping"

120121_010.jpg

Top carve roughed out.

120121_011.jpg

Top carve all smoothed out and mocked up.

explosivo

Reaction score
Baritone Seven-string
120122_012.jpg

All mummified and ready to spray lacquer on the natural binding.

120122_023.jpg

Dyed black.

120122_024.jpg

Black dye sanded back and ready for color.