Blackmachine new headless models

• Thread starter Ziricote
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Is the "and double ball end strings for toolless string changes" a concern for anyone? I'm hoping that's optional, because double-ball string availability is minimal (at best) and is a limitation for scale length and string count.

JSanta

Reaction score
Looks like an old Ibanez Voyager if it were headless :shrug:

spudmunkey

Reaction score
People shit on some of the modern headless guitars as "defeating the whole purpose" by having bodies that aren't also shrunk down to the smallest possible size, even though most of these guitars only make the bodies wider so they look more proportionate on a human person and it keeps the guitar just as portable since the length is the same. While i disagree with the sentiment...this has the wider body but then also adds what looks like 2-3" after the end of the bridge tuners, making the body much longer than most other headless guitars on the market. So, it's still shorter by the length of a headstock, but seems to then also lose any body-shortening advantage. That said, there are still some folks who thing that these modern "larger" headless guitars still look too small on them, so this might be right up their alley.

I am also on the side of thinking that this is a prototype, as the control cavity cover is surface mount, the binding looks like it's covered in file/rasp marks. Definitely not a fan of the 3 different pickup covers, either.

Last edited:

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
Is the "and double ball end strings for toolless string changes" a concern for anyone? I'm hoping that's optional, because double-ball string availability is minimal (at best) and is a limitation for scale length and string count.

Yes, double ball is a superior system. Unfortunately, only for those of us at 25.5 in basic set gauges.

There's like 3 of us.

It's also why I prefer the j custom headpieces.

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
Funny, with more headless designs available than ever I'd still take a Klein built to my specs or a Canton.

ThtOthrPrsn

Unconventional
Reaction score
I like it except for that lower cutout, it doesn't "flow" or work with the body like a lot of the other headless guitars out there do. It doesn't feel like it was designed as a headless guitar, if that makes sense?

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
I like it except for that lower cutout, it doesn't "flow" or work with the body like a lot of the other headless guitars out there do. It doesn't feel like it was designed as a headless guitar, if that makes sense?
I agree with this sentiment. It looks like they took a blackmachine and said how could we make this a headless without changing anything else about it. I'm a fan of the wood choices of the body but the entire execution is poor. So I hope that this is a REALLY rough prototype.

xzacx

Reaction score
The double ball ends are pretty much the only thing that's appealing about this to me. This is not a very elegant take on a headless IMO. RBM2 was the first thing I thought when I saw it, but this isn't nearly as cool.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
Double ball end is a questionable idea in 2018 and for his market specifically. Dramatically limits string choices. The clamp-style headpieces that take standard strings are what brought headless back to viability in the market. Using double ball end strings could lead to guitars essentially being bricked because of lack of string availability. Look at the Floyd Rose Speedloader guitars. They stopped making the strings so once they're gone the guitars are unusable without mods.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
This ones been in the works for a while, it had 2 pickups originally, he wanted this guitar voiced differently to the B2 so adding another middle humbucked was another step. You can order these now from Doug, he's eager to get building again but you will pay a LOT. The headstock is one of the defining BM parts so it's a bit odd to see a headless.

Cool to finally see a floyd on one of his guitars.

Latest posts