Blackmachine new headless models

• Thread starter Ziricote
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There was people ready to take care of everything so Doug is wouldn’t have to do anything. For whatever reason he said no. Talking to one of his friends he doesn’t build that much and never did. Only a few months a year even back when the brand was popular. Funny that most of the mysticism was caused by genuinely not wanting to build. Every step he took to try and reduce demand like the B6 or closing the queue only drove it up.

I don’t like the headless but when the B2 is made with the right woods it’s still a killer looking guitar that has such a clean look that is very difficult to replicate.

Not everyone wants the guts and glory.

I can respect that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
Doug seemed like the kind of guy who just wanted to make some guitars for some friends and it sort of exploded out of control, and instead of growing rapidly and haphazardly and then burning in a marvelous flash of light, he sort of rejected it and just kept doing things on his own terms.

Design wise, I think it's fairy clear the "B" and it's derivatives were something of a flash in the pan. He's not a master designer, he just sort of got one thing pretty much perfect. That's not a slight, most don't even get that.

I can certainly respect someone who wants to do their own thing or decides that the obvious thing isn't for them.

Having said that, there is a used B2 up on reverb right now for 30 grand. And you know it looks nice. But it's superstrat, and whatever else it might be, it's not obviously special.

That's really the weird thing to me. Okay sure Doug didn't want to become a big corporate affair, fair enough. But he also didn't become just a straight up bespoke builder either. Maybe some of that was accidental and I don't hold it against him as a person that some guitar hipsters pay so much for his work, but it's still a weird place to be.

I'm just saying, the way @pondman works the wood is a thing of beauty and I would kill to get my hands on one of his creations, but I wouldn't pay no 30k for one.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Blame all the dorks propping them up and writing pamphlets as to why they're worth XX thousands of dollars. Sure wasn't Doug doing that.

This.

From what I remember of Doug's pricing it wasn't even close to what certain people post them for on the internet.

Let's also not be coy, it's a small club of like a dozen, mostly shady as shit, guys doing it.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
i could not get the website to load
Probably because the link is several years old.

Don't get too interested. Only a few of these were made, sold new for $12k and up, and were probably all bought by scalpers who intended to sell them for twice as much.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
This.

From what I remember of Doug's pricing it wasn't even close to what certain people post them for on the internet.

Let's also not be coy, it's a small club of like a dozen, mostly shady as shit, guys doing it.

They started off about £1500-1800. Then once he got popular about £2300 for a B2. One of the first auction builds went for £4000 while second hand B2s had been at that price for about 2 years. Then the shills got in and pushed the price to five figures. Someone got a B2 for a lower price from him and flipped it for about £18k profit. Last time I talked to someone it was about £7-10K for a basic build now and there is no shortage of people prepared to pay it.

This is info you can find on Facebook and various forums if anyone is wondering. The good second hand B2s still go for a lot but the ones on reverb have been there a long time. I’d be curious to see what kind of price a 7 or 8 would still make.

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
Website works on my end. Doug has a B1 tele-style up for sale from his early years.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
They started off about £1500-1800. Then once he got popular about £2300 for a B2. One of the first auction builds went for £4000 while second hand B2s had been at that price for about 2 years. Then the shills got in and pushed the price to five figures. Someone got a B2 for a lower price from him and flipped it for about £18k profit. Last time I talked to someone it was about £7-10K for a basic build now and there is no shortage of people prepared to pay it.

This is info you can find on Facebook and various forums if anyone is wondering. The good second hand B2s still go for a lot but the ones on reverb have been there a long time. I’d be curious to see what kind of price a 7 or 8 would still make.
Years ago, I knew some one in a local band who had bought one of the first B7s back around 2004. I think he paid around £1700 for it, pretty standard affair with an ebony top. Imagine would that would sell for now.