Born of Osiris MegaThread! - All things BoO

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I got the CD of the new album in the mail a few days ago. Listened through it 3 or 4 times. It's a good album, I guess, but there was not one single moment that surprised me or had me thinking "WOW". And after 3-4 times of listening to the album I felt like "Ok, that's the latest BOO album, now I want to listen to something else." And I'm not surprised if I won't listen to this album in a while again.
My favorite BOO album is The Discovery (surprise, I know, right?!), but I still liked TWDA, but I found the album after that (Soulsphere?) less interesting and the latest release is yet less interesting to me than their previous release. My 2c, of course.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Silence2-38554

Mobius Guitars
Reaction score
Yeah.... TWDA was my favorite BOO album, followed by The Discovery. This new album is..... fine? I'd say I like it about the same as Soul Sphere, except the mix on the new album is so strange. Like others have stated, unless your playback system is capable of reproducing sub frequencies, there is no low end at all. The lack of low mid makes it sound so bad that I won't even listen to it unless it's through certain systems.

Masoo2

Reaction score
It was a Nick Sampson mix, right?

I honestly don't know a single mix of his that I like other than maybe his work with Polyphia

No meat, no substance, no shine, nothing

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
The last two have felt like they just went back to the guitar stems from TWDA and chopped out bits and made new riffs. There were a few cool leads and a few cool riffs, but the "sing-scream" stuff and the Linkin Park (lets love each other over our stuggle bullshit) lyrics all over the place aren't doing it for me. I'll probably listen to it a few more times just to be sure, though.

oddcam

Reaction score
There is no bass in the mix? What happened?
I like the the instrumental composition quite a bit, the guitars are great actually. ^ Gunpointmetal said it right, here's the real question:

How many albums will BoO put out before they realize Joe's "sing-screaming" is FUCKING IRRITATING!?

Mathemagician

Reaction score
They could put out an album where the singer says “Just Fucking Bow Down!” on every track before the solo and I would still buy it.

oath5

Reaction score
I'm a fan of them but why did they decide to to an And justice for all to their bassist?

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
I saw them about a week back here in San Francisco. Got to stand in the left front row corner right in front of Lee so I could watch him solo and check out all his Kiesels. They put on a solid show. No mention of any new material.

Nlelith

Motion Designer
Reaction score
One week after a new release, and nobody even bothered to bump this thread. This says a lot, doesn't it?

Music-wise it's nothing spectacular. All songs are at least somewhat enjoyable, but not a single one of them is a hit. And there's a lot of questionable parts that spoil otherwise promising tracks.

What I'm really surprised about is how could they manage to screw up the mix on the second release in a row. It's a step above The Simulation, aye, but the overly-loud click-clackitty kick drum is still a tad overpowering everything else. Some synths still use random presets from 'dance' folder. And rhythm guitar tone jumps between a nice one and "the driest tone you can dial in on a good practice amp".

Perge

Reaction score
I enjoyed it. Felt like there was more of a focus on songs then on previous albums IMO. Mix was fine to me, but I've only listened to it on studio monitors, and one of those large Marshall speakers which puts out a decent amount of low end.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I jammed the new one a couple of times and didn't bother to add it to the library or buy it. I feel like there's such a formula to the sound at this point that it's hard to focus on it, like its the music playing in the background in a department store, where it's there but nothing is reaching out of it to pull you in. It's by no means bad, it just seems like all the surprises ran out on TWDA and have been replaced by generic cinema hits and sub drops.

Paul Gilbert

newborn baby
Reaction score
I can’t believe that this is the same band that has written one of my favorite albums ever (A higher place).

There’s plenty of filler on this album, listened to it several times while going in long drives with my partner. They mentioned that they couldn’t tell the difference between any of the tracks aside from 2 or 3 songs, which I hate that I have to agree. I’m pretty much set on believing they won’t be able to put out an album/song structure that flowed seemlessly that was included in A higher place/the discovery. This is purely speculative but it doesn’t sound like Cameron’s writing anymore and more so someone else in the band is writing everything, maybe lee? Lots of stuff here sounds like it could be on his solo album. It may also sound silly but I’m wondering if this is Sumerian records doing with how these albums been churned out.

A bit bummed out that we haven’t seen the simulation pt.2.

Latest posts