Boss Katana gen 3…SOON

• Thread starter complex-barb.0t
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
1716172654500.png

I wonder if this will have an actual improvement to the modeling or just the same product they have sold for what feels like a million years.

I find it funny that everyone is doing an announcement about a future announcement. “SOON”

Is it even worse that I made a thread about an announcement about an announcement?

What would make you buy one? Let’s speculate what they did or didn’t change. One thing is for certain is that it will get little to no software support post release hahah.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't hate the Mk2, so as long as they don't inflate the price too bad or go silly with layout I don't think they'll do too bad.

I think we all know Roland/BOSS only cares about updates if you buy a very expensive keyboard/synth...sometimes. :lol:

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't hate the Mk2, so as long as they don't inflate the price too bad or go silly with layout I don't think they'll do too bad.

I think we all know Roland/BOSS only cares about updates if you buy a very expensive keyboard/synth...sometimes. :lol:
I’m interested becuase I’ve been wanting a small all in one practice amp that has great amp modeling. Nothing really exists in this space short of using a floor modeler or tonex pedal plus an FRFR. I would like a self contained box. Currently use a Nux Mighty Space which I think is pretty decent and even works hooked up to a real cab.

Sorta doubting even this new Katana can unseat it.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
If they upgrade it with the GT-K algorithms, it can be a killer rig.

If not, same old thing.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
What are the odds that they're gonna go the Line 6 route and try to pair up the Katana with a tube power section ?
I get the feeling we'll never get that again. Seems like Peavey ditched it after the Vypyr gen 1 and Line 6 hasn't done a modeling hybid amp since the Spider 3. It doesn't seem like a worthwhile venture.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I get the feeling we'll never get that again. Seems like Peavey ditched it after the Vypyr gen 1 and Line 6 hasn't done a modeling hybid amp since the Spider 3. It doesn't seem like a worthwhile venture.

You are forgetting the Spider Valve MKI and MKII..... i loved my MKII, still have it too! Still have my old Spirder 3 as well, though i only use its AUX port as a monitor lol

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score

Currently rocking the Spider 5 MKII and I couldnt be happier. Bought it on Amazon with Hilton points HAHAHAHA

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
You are forgetting the Spider Valve MKI and MKII..... i loved my MKII, still have it too! Still have my old Spirder 3 as well, though i only use its AUX port as a monitor lol
That's what I was referencing lol. The Spider Valve was part of the Spider 3 series IIRC. Spider 3 preamp with a Bogner designed power amp

I forgot about the MKII, though. So it's actually Spider IV. WHoops

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
That's what I was referencing lol. The Spider Valve was part of the Spider 3 series IIRC. Spider 3 preamp with a Bogner designed power amp

I forgot about the MKII, though. So it's actually Spider IV. WHoops

no bigs, ive been a Spider user since the Spider 2 lol

Spinedriver

Reaction score
True... However if we've learned anything from gear makers, they will never miss an opportunity to take a bad idea and repeat it over and over... LOL
The picture kind of looks like it could be an amp head, so maybe Boss will turn the Katana into their version of a Vetta head with a display so you can make legit patches on it ?

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looking at the leaked info from thegearpage it seems like this might be a fairly lazy refresh. Like finally changing the USB port to a C port type stuff.

It would be rad for it to be awesome, but they can only do so much for like a $229 50w combo. It might have the AIRD models like their recent ME-90, but those models don’t exactly set the world on fire. Still would be an improvement though.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Looking at the leaked info from thegearpage it seems like this might be a fairly lazy refresh. Like finally changing the USB port to a C port type stuff.

It would be rad for it to be awesome, but they can only do so much for like a $229 50w combo. It might have the AIRD models like their recent ME-90, but those models don’t exactly set the world on fire. Still would be an improvement though.
I just took a glimpse and either the dude was given MSRP or the amp is going to be nearly twice as expensive at $399.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
View attachment 143798

I wonder if this will have an actual improvement to the modeling or just the same product they have sold for what feels like a million years.

I find it funny that everyone is doing an announcement about a future announcement. “SOON”

Is it even worse that I made a thread about an announcement about an announcement?

What would make you buy one? Let’s speculate what they did or didn’t change. One thing is for certain is that it will get little to no software support post release hahah.

They need to add the slot for the Bluetooth adapter (like the Katana Bass amps have), along with a mobile version of Katana Tone Studio. They also need to put a power section in the head version that can drive a 4-ohm cabinet with authority.

I’m interested becuase I’ve been wanting a small all in one practice amp that has great amp modeling. Nothing really exists in this space short of using a floor modeler or tonex pedal plus an FRFR. I would like a self contained box. Currently use a Nux Mighty Space which I think is pretty decent and even works hooked up to a real cab.

Sorta doubting even this new Katana can unseat it.

Boss have yet to bring their more serious efforts in amp modeling to the Katana amps. Even then, I wouldn’t count on them being at the top end of amp modeling platforms. Have you noticed that the Katanas tend to specialize in modeling Boss pedals more than anything else?

I think that gimmick has run its course.

If they said the Katana was powered by a tube amp lol

There’s no way I’d buy it if they put tubes in it. Part of the appeal of the Katana Head Mk II for me was the consistency and convenience of a small solid-state amp paired with pretty extensive app capabilities.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you want a Katana with tubes, get a ME90 and run it into a tube power amp

Easy, huh? Besides, what’s the point of digitally modeling tube amps if you still need a tube amp to make it sound right? Wouldn’t you have to run through a set of power tubes like what’s in the original amp being modeled?

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I know that Im talking about Spiders in a Katana thread but I think I can agree about the tube power thing being unneeded. When I compare side by side my Line 6 Spider Valve that has a tube power amp, with my Line 6 Spider 5 that does not...... theres been no noticeable difference for me in their tones/performance. They breath about the same, and I get just as much power out of my Spider 5 which is all digital as I do with my tube driven Spider Valve.

I know that they are Line 6 products and this is a discussion about Katanas, but i was really only trying to speak about tube power amps vs solid state modeling. hope it helps

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It looks like the modeling is mostly the same with a new like crunch mode (pushed?). That is really lame if true.