Boss Katana gen 3…SOON

• Thread starter complex-barb.0t
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I don't really get why people love these amps so much. The kid across the street has one and I played it one day when him and his friend were jamming in the garage. I thought it sounded terrible 🤷‍♂️

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't really get why people love these amps so much. The kid across the street has one and I played it one day when him and his friend were jamming in the garage. I thought it sounded terrible 🤷‍♂️
Yeah I mostly agree. You can make the head sound good with tuns of tweaking but the combo leaves something to be desired. Good practice amps though.

I wish there was an all in one desktop unit that is similar hardware to a HX Stomp. Like the Boss Katana air but less potato.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Yup just a minor update. They still require you to buy a Bluetooth add on. Seemingly no revision to their dated amp models.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Line6' Catalyst combo amps got a firmware update recently with the Badonk amp from Helix family, I'm thinking of grabbing one of these soon...

Shask

Reaction score
Line6' Catalyst combo amps got a firmware update recently with the Badonk amp from Helix family, I'm thinking of grabbing one of these soon...
That is interesting. The Badonk was pretty much the only amp I liked on the Helix family.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
In a world where we get a new ampsim every week, one of the biggest music companies sticks with 2010 tech on their digital modelling amps and has the balls of doing 3 gens of it without ever upgrading them.

This is SO disappointing. I was expecting this to be an opening window to a new version of the MS-3 with the GT-1000 algorythms, but it's just Boss being Boss. Lame. :lame:

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In a world where we get a new ampsim every week, one of the biggest music companies sticks with 2010 tech on their digital modelling amps and has the balls of doing 3 gens of it without ever upgrading them.

This is SO disappointing. I was expecting this to be an opening window to a new version of the MS-3 with the GT-1000 algorythms, but it's just Boss being Boss. Lame. :lame:
They don’t need to change anything because every single “noob needs a good amp” thread on Reddit or thegearpage has everybody replying Katana. I imagine if you walk into a Guitar Center the same thing will happen.

They sell well via word of mouth, YouTubers and price.

Boss is still lame for this though.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
IME they also sell because they're one of the only popular practice amps that doesn't have a screen on it, and screens intimidate people. Knobs are easy to understand and show you everything you can do with the amp (except not really bc you can swap amps out over USB) on the front, whereas something like a Fender LT25/50 has all sorts of parameters you can fuck around with - which is good if someone like me were looking for an amp, maybe not so good if it were for someone buying their first ever amp.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Y
That is interesting. The Badonk was pretty much the only amp I liked on the Helix family.
Yeah either get the new Catalyst CX or get an old Catalyst and upgrade the firmware.

Absolute fucking shocker: can't find any decent demos of the Catalyst using the Badonk model lmao

One day I gotta see if I can find a decent deal on a Catalyst, do the firmware update, do a speaker swap, and make it closed back

Reaction score
... so after seeing the the video, I think that this is a very fine amp for those about to start. It doesn't sound bad and it can be super customized, so thumbs up! It's like an amplified guitar multiFX processor...

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
... so after seeing the the video, I think that this is a very fine amp for those about to start. It doesn't sound bad and it can be super customized, so thumbs up! It's like an amplified guitar multiFX processor...

Yeah. I think that’s one reason some people are ripping on them. What is practically every other brand with modeling amps doing that Boss isn’t? They’re building in amp models and leveraging other brands’ products (either directly or with the sly naming) to beef up their list of amp types.

Even Boss does this with certain products that don’t fill an amplifier-shaped hole. The Pocket GT has over two dozen amp types, many of them with pretty specific names referencing amps from other companies.

It seems like they’re trying to build brand capital on the amp market by squeezing out thoughts of Marshall, Fender, Vox, Peavey, Mesa, Soldano, etc. I guess that’s smart if you’re looking to expand market share in the square-box-with-knobs-and-speaker space, as disappointing as it may be when you’re trying to understand why they couldn’t just throw in a bit of old tech from a $120 plastic headphone amp.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
It's kind of funny... I was just thinking the other day about how expensive pedals and gear in general have been getting over recent years and one thing ocurred to me...
In 1991, you could buy a Boss Metal Zone for about $159. If I go to the local guitar shop today,I can buy a brand new Boss Metal Zone for $159, even though it's 35 years later.

Shask

Reaction score
It's kind of funny... I was just thinking the other day about how expensive pedals and gear in general have been getting over recent years and one thing ocurred to me...
In 1991, you could buy a Boss Metal Zone for about $159. If I go to the local guitar shop today,I can buy a brand new Boss Metal Zone for $159, even though it's 35 years later.
A cheapo $200 guitar is WAY better than a $200 guitar in the 90s, lol.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That’s insane. Really?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Boss is sure getting a lot of mileage out of those old ass models.
Tends to be how they work. Introduce "new" (already outdated) amp modeling and ride that for about 15 - 20 years. It was okay with the Katana Gen 1 since that was a practice amp but now it's getting out of hand lol.

Shask

Reaction score
Tends to be how they work. Introduce "new" (already outdated) amp modeling and ride that for about 15 - 20 years. It was okay with the Katana Gen 1 since that was a practice amp but now it's getting out of hand lol.
It seems like very small changes on the generations of Katanas. I am not even sure what Gen 3 is changing, other than letting you change the order of effects blocks.

I have even been looking at the GT-1000 CORE, wondering if it would be a good effects loop effects unit. It still seems like more of the same though.

Latest posts