Boutique cables

• Thread starter spudmunkey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I splurged after getting my Axe FX III while awaiting my 080 and bought a Vovox Sonorus. This video helped make the decision:

With my S8 and passive pickups, the Vovox definitely sounded clearer and more detailed compared to the Mogami Gold I was running. With the 080, which has X series EMGs, there's still a slight difference. A fair bit smaller of course, but the Vovox still seemed to be clearer to an minor extent.

The one thing that stood out to me in the video I linked above is that the onboard electronics of the Majesty almost completely negate the differences. Even more than the EMGs seem to be doing to my ears with my headphones on. So, kudos to EBMM.

I used to have DI files of the cables, but the hard drive they were on died, and I lost my Mogami cable in a tragic boating accident. (I actually crushed it in part by setting a heavy dresser on top of it accidentally.)

I don't know if I'd buy the Vovox again, as the damn thing is stupid expensive for what it is. And like I wrote at the beginning, this was a splurge. I figured "go big or go home" since it was literally the only thing between my guitar and Axe. If I could catch a sale or something on Vintage King or elsewhere, I'd probably hop on it since I know I like the Sonorus and want a direct backup, but it's not a priority right now and even if something happens to my current Sonorus, I may explore elsewhere first.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Use to have many brands the most notable being Mogami and George L's years ago, but the truth is the truth, and I tell you cheap Radio Shack molded cables in the chain are best and a basic Horizon coming from the guitar itself. I hate to believe it because the Radio Shack's are basically cheap tin molded plastic but they sound best and seem to reject noise best too. The Horizon's rejected well too. I still really like the silver plated George L's too but no point in spending the cash, plus they can come apart if you don't solder them. My thinking on the Radio Shacks is they're probaby so cheap they have no capacitance and probably reject well because they're molded. If you can still find them try them for everything but the guitar cable itself. They're just to cheap to stand up to moving around like that. lol.

Darkscience

Reaction score
It is true that there is a lot of snake oil marketing in some of the expensive cable options, but I guarantee that if you did true A/B testing with various cables you would find that they actually do sound different. Not necessarily better or worse, but it is a fact that capacitance varies from cable to cable depending on a number of factors and therefore the amount of high end content in your signal will vary. It's up to the end user how much this matters, and honestly a short cheap cable can sound damn close to a longer expensive cable.
I guarantee you would not be able to tell a difference. Make it a blind A/B test if you wish.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I splurged after getting my Axe FX III while awaiting my 080 and bought a Vovox Sonorus. This video helped make the decision:

With my S8 and passive pickups, the Vovox definitely sounded clearer and more detailed compared to the Mogami Gold I was running. With the 080, which has X series EMGs, there's still a slight difference. A fair bit smaller of course, but the Vovox still seemed to be clearer to an minor extent.

The one thing that stood out to me in the video I linked above is that the onboard electronics of the Majesty almost completely negate the differences. Even more than the EMGs seem to be doing to my ears with my headphones on. So, kudos to EBMM.

I used to have DI files of the cables, but the hard drive they were on died, and I lost my Mogami cable in a tragic boating accident. (I actually crushed it in part by setting a heavy dresser on top of it accidentally.)

I don't know if I'd buy the Vovox again, as the damn thing is stupid expensive for what it is. And like I wrote at the beginning, this was a splurge. I figured "go big or go home" since it was literally the only thing between my guitar and Axe. If I could catch a sale or something on Vintage King or elsewhere, I'd probably hop on it since I know I like the Sonorus and want a direct backup, but it's not a priority right now and even if something happens to my current Sonorus, I may explore elsewhere first.

That Pedal Show did a video about buffers a while back and compared the sound of a buffer into a long cable and a guitar straight into the amp with a very short cable. They sounded the same and this is why the Majesty does that too.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Add me to the "if it works it works" group.

I'm not picky with cables, I've never had issues with anything other than component breakage on very cheap cables. Otherwise they've all sounded the same with no tonal differences.

Any of the expensive ones I have (Monster or Mogami) are still going strong many years later or were replaced free of charge years ago if they broke.

Free replacement is probably the only factor to me if I were to buy an "expensive" cable.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I've done A/B comparisons and the difference is quite clear. I preferred the Winspear cables, but my friend preferred the Mogamis.

It's worth noting that despite price point , Mogami Gold aren't low capacitance cables by any means. Mine would be comparable to the Mogami Platinum :) There are much clearer cables than Gold available at a lower price point, one that comes to mind is Planet Waves. So clarity isn't all about price (though the low cap cable stock does tend to be pricier) - just a spec that you may as well assume is chosen at random unless it is listed

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
It's worth noting that despite price point , Mogami Gold aren't low capacitance cables by any means. Mine would be comparable to the Mogami Platinum :) There are much clearer cables than Gold available at a lower price point, one that comes to mind is Planet Waves. So clarity isn't all about price (though the low cap cable stock does tend to be pricier) - just a spec that you may as well assume is chosen at random unless it is listed
This tallies with my experience. My Planet Waves are second preference after your stuff. Much like with strings 😅

mattier303

Reaction score
best cable I have ever used was given to me by Eric Johnson’s guitar tech, super nice smart guy. Basically a high end Mogami clone.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Anything pricier than a Sommer LLX is not worth my money. Specially considering it's one of the lowest capacitance cables on the market.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Anything pricier than a Sommer LLX is not worth my money. Specially considering it's one of the lowest capacitance cables on the market.

Didn't realise they sold stock cables. Yes, great stuff! Don't mind saying it's what mine use :) Incredible cable

spudmunkey

Reaction score
As mentioned before, it's sometimes fun to also support someone's small business, even if there's not objective, "absolute" value.

Does one need to quantify "boutique"? Rattlesnake cables are sold on Amazon, for example.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like "boutique" anything, there are diminishing returns, and while some spec sheets might be great in a bubble, real world use tends to be the great equalizer.

Get what makes you happy.

Meeotch

Reaction score
I guarantee you would not be able to tell a difference. Make it a blind A/B test if you wish.
The tonal differences in a cable with high vs low capacitance is very similar to the differences you will hear when adjusting the tone knob on your guitar. Obviously if the difference in capacitance is small then it would be very difficult to distinguish a tonal difference, much like a micro adjustment on your tone knob. Larger differences in capacitance will be more distinguishable. Like I said, not better or worse just more or less high end content in the signal.

JediMasterThrash

Reaction score
What about cable position in the chain? Does the cable quality even matter anywhere other than the first cable from guitar to amp/pedalboard? That's probably the only pedal carrying a passive signal, and also the only cable of any length.

The first connection from the guitar is always a buffer for me, and all the pedals are connected with 18" cables, and any lengths under 3ft that capacitance different won't even matter. At this point the connector is far more important, as you're passing through maybe half a dozen more connectors from first pedal to poweramp.

The preamp output runs at line level. The only other cable probobably of importance is the speaker cable, as that may be long and is carrying strong current.

I got all neutrix connectors for my pedalboard. The downside is the right angle plugs are relatively large, it's impossible to make a compact pedalboard. I often wonder if I'd hear any sonic difference going with those cheap flat-connectors optimized for pedalboards..

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I plug active pickups into a modeler. All that matters to me is that they don’t make noise when I move them. The mid-grade GC house cables and Pig Hog hold up well.

Wusthof XIII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve have always loved Lava cables which are 23 pF/ft capacitance. Never had an issue with them.

lost_horizon

Reaction score