Can you use vocal compressor for guitar?

Max Griffiths

Reaction score
I am buying a behringer composer locally and I was just wondering if I could use it for guitar because it is a gate/compressor/limiter. It has 1/4" jacks so I would think so, but would rather see what you guys think.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
If you can adjust the parameters of the compressor I.e. Attack, release, ratio, etc you could use it for anything. I use a rack mount tube compressor all the time on bass after my sansamp

morethan6

Reaction score
Hold on, depends what you mean - in a mix situation yes, you could insert it on a channel or track a miked-up guitar amp with it.

You cannot, however, just run the guitar through it before an amp like a stompbox - it operates at line level and your guitar is at a tiny Hi-Z voltage.

What goes in would be way too low for the comp, and what comes out would be way too hot for an instrument input on an amp or interface.

Hope that helps! :)

Max Griffiths

Reaction score
Sorry but I didn't understand that all too much (I've never used compressors before:/). Would I be able to use it if I went through my FX loop on my amp?

b7string

Reaction score
Sorry but I didn't understand that all too much (I've never used compressors before:/). Would I be able to use it if I went through my FX loop on my amp?

Yes if you were running it through your fx loop, seeing as that should be a line level signal (or if it has a switch, make sure its set to line level) then it should work. May not have the desired intent depending on what type of sound you were trying to achieve though, some people like to run a compressor before the amp, because it changes the dynamics with which your guitar interacts with the preamp.

Max Griffiths

Reaction score
I plugged it in and messed with it for a while, and found out that the noise gate works pretty well. I still have to explore the compressor but so far it seems pretty cool. I traded old gear I didn't use for it so I'm ok with it.