Chuck Schuldiner's Personal Green Custom Shop Stealth Up for Bid

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
So, what exactly are the diehard fans upset about with the auction?

Is it the fact that they themselves will never own the instrument? Or that the instrument will be shuttered behind bulletproof glass in someone’s castle, never to be seen again from 2024 onwards? Or are they upset that a guy who fortunately happened to be born into being the nephew of an influential musician decided to stop working a day job and instead opted to just cash-in on the name of said influential musician by selling off items that formerly belonged to the now-deceased musician?

Someone fill me in on the actual details here.
I somehow doubt that the nephew is able to live off the mass wealth he's accumulated from selling niche death metal guitarist's collection.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I see it's at 20k US, £15-16! Probably will go for more by the end of the auction. Hopefully Chuck's family manages to make a dent at their debts with the amount of money they get. Whoever gets it, hopefully makes good use of it and not just flip it.
Please don't be those Essex Recording Studio guys, I despise them with a passion. Or the Vitriol guy as Knightbroler will flip his lid lol!
lol I doubt kyle could afford it. If he could we'd get a pretentious essay about it and how it needs to be paired with one of his bespoke vegan leather spike straps or some shit.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
It's the "he doesn't love you the way I would love you" of the celebrity owned metal guitar gear genre.
Ah... So, they are pretty much turning into Gollum over the guitar.

giphy.gif

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
If someone can make 30k out of selling a guitar to some random dude on the internet, more power to them. People shake their heads when they see Kurt Cobain's pick being sold at hundreds or whatever. If people are stupid enough to give that value to something that doesn't have it (and in some cases totally worthless), then who am I to shit on people smart enough to make money out of them? It's not like the potential buyers are living under a bridge. I regret selling my Duality DX now that they're literally flying at $1k on Reverb.

When I die I'd rather prefer to have all my guitars sold to help my living relative ones that have them all standing on a wall (or cases). Maybe keep one or two for the memory but that's it. They will eventually get inherited and sold by someone that never knew me anyway.

Last edited:

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
When I die I'd rather prefer to have all my guitars sold to help my living relative ones that have them all standing on a wall (or cases). Maybe keep one or two for the memory but that's it. They will eventually get inherited and sold by someone that never knew me anyway.
I've got my guitars outlined in my will. They will go to my wife and it's up to her... she can do whatever she wants with em but I told her that if she doesn't sell them, to consider donating them to some kind of music program or low-income young aspiring musicians. I don't want them in a landfill. Life's short, folks... Don't take your best years for granted.

Whoman Bean

Pointy only.
Reaction score
I told my wife to raffle off all of my guitars here for free but there’s a list of names to avoid.
How old are you? How is your health nowadays? How many guitars do you have? And last but not least - who's on that list? 😀

jaxadam

Reaction score
How old are you? How is your health nowadays? How many guitars do you have? And last but not least - who's on that list? 😀

I’ll answer each question on a scale of 1 to 100:

1. Between 45 and 100
2. Between 75 and 76
3. Between 1 and 50
And last but not least I recognize a few of those names in this thread!

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
CCF38190-8426-4B5E-AD46-E5AC0FB1360B.jpeg

I remember his nephew selling this one for sale back in 2018. I wonder if the buyer had it restored.

Ikaruga

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but unfortunately not everyone is going to be that gracious after spending a ridiculous sum of money on an instrument, and understandably so. It's essentially throwing your money away. It just sucks to see famous musicians instruments go this route, at least to me. A lot of the time this happens and they just disappear into obscurity.
its just a guitar, chill

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
its just a guitar, chill
Yup. Also buying Chuck’s guitar is not throwing your money away. It’s only going to get more valuable over time. The black one he played live will probably always be the most valuable one since it’s so strongly associated with him.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
It is just a guitar though. I don't think it makes any more sense for it to be in a museum than to be in some random collector's hands. As long as they don't end up being destroyed like that one guy did with all his Viks, what's it matter? Should it be hanging in some Hard Rock Cafe? I'm sure Chuck would have just loooooved thaaat.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
It is just a guitar though. I don't think it makes any more sense for it to be in a museum than to be in some random collector's hands. As long as they don't end up being destroyed like that one guy did with all his Viks, what's it matter? Should it be hanging in some Hard Rock Cafe? I'm sure Chuck would have just loooooved thaaat.

To state it again, you guys are right. My only thing was not wanting to see it sold just for the sake of a quick buck (this isn't the case) or disappearing from this point on, but really, would it even matter?

Some of these people have done great things when purchasing gear like that, such as what the guy did with Alexi's gear after he bought all of it. I think people just don't want to see part of a beloved musicians memory die is all.

manu80

Reaction score
+1
"It’s only going to get more valuable over time"
with all due respect, unfortunately, I'm not that sure. Death/ Chuck isn't EVH or Hendrix, at least for the mass who plays guitar. It talks to us 40/50 yrs old , it's a niche but in 20 yrs, honestly, who will care ?. i think some members had the same discussion about Dimebag in another thread.... it's valuable now because we still remember Chuck but then.....

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I told my wife to raffle off all of my guitars here for free but there’s a list of names to avoid.
Did I ever tell you how dope sweep taps are? And just so I cover all my bases, teep swaps are also dope.