Classic-looking 7 string; clear-sounding neck pickup

• Thread starter plf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Monster With .

Death row, water buffalo
Reaction score
Schecter has done some 7 string PT models, which is tele based. Current one on the website is the PT-7 MS Black Ops, but no neck pickup unfortunately.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

plf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not sure what your budget is but if you can swing it, why not give an Ibanez AZ24047 a try?

If clarity in the neck is important and you aren't married to the idea of a chrome-covered humbucker in the neck, I can't think of much that's clearer than a single coil.
img_0907-jpg.17760
I love the look of the AZs, but I strongly dislike tremolos. Even blocked, knowing it's there bothers me, lol. More substantially, though, I've been steering clear of anything with true single coils because I haven't been able to find any noiseless 7 string singles
Schecter has done some 7 string PT models, which is tele based. Current one on the website is the PT-7 MS Black Ops, but no neck pickup unfortunately.
Yeah, those look cool! I really wish the Black Ops had a neck pickup; I've given some thought to having one added...

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
Regarding neck pickups, I've found the SD Jazz and BKP Holydiver to be the brightest/clearest that I have used. Dimarzio D-Activator as well, but that doesn't sound like it would be a good match for what you are looking for. I currently have a BKP Holydiver set in my mahogany bodied RG8 and they are very versatile and clear. They would likely sound great in an Ibanez ARZ! Like a refined JB/Jazz set (which would also likely work well for you for less $). Wired up Petrucci style on a 3 way switch with the center split coils is also really nice for a hum cancelling single coil esque sound.

Reactions: plf

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
Hey, all. I'm just starting out in the world of extended range guitars, and could use a little direction.

I'm interested in moving to a seven string for solo guitar. I'm mostly playing solo gigs these days (not exactly jazz, but if you think Bill Frisell-y cleans, you'll be close to the right idea, tonally.) Because of the nature of some of my gigs (i.e., ones where you have to wear a suit,) I can't really get away with bringing a super strat or a Strandberg. So I'm interested in what options exist that are a little more aesthetically understated. Think Tele, Les Paul, 335. So far, an Ibanez ARZ307 seems like the best option, but I'm not sure what else is out there that I may be overlooking.

My other quandary is pickups. Because most of my music is so contrapuntal, it's really important for me to have a really clear lower register. My main 6 string is a Tele with a Dimarzio Area 58 in the neck, which works perfectly. I've been playing another Tele tuned B to B in advance of actually buying a 7, and even though it has a Dimarzio Air Classic in the neck-- putatively a very clear humbucker-- I find it to be far too soft and indistinct below about A2.

So, assuming I get the ARZ307, I'll likely need to replace the neck pickup (and eventually both) with something much clearer sounding, but I'm having a hard time finding anything beyond PAFs. My applications (often very low volumes) also require whatever I use be noiseless. Something like the Humbucker from Hell, EJ Custom, etc., in a 7 string shape would be great. A noiseless, 7 string humbucker sized single coil would be even better. Something in a chrome cover would be perfect. Again, aesthetics.

Thanks, all! Hope I haven't rambled too much.
The Matt Heafy signature. Perfect for weddings, bar mitzvahs, Proms...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240619_213138_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240619_213138_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 43

plf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Regarding neck pickups, I've found the SD Jazz and BKP Holydiver to be the brightest/clearest that I have used. Dimarzio D-Activator as well, but that doesn't sound like it would be a good match for what you are looking for. I currently have a BKP Holydiver set in my mahogany bodied RG8 and they are very versatile and clear. They would likely sound great in an Ibanez ARZ! Like a refined JB/Jazz set (which would also likely work well for you for less $). Wired up Petrucci style on a 3 way switch with the center split coils is also really nice for a hum cancelling single coil esque sound.
The Jazz is a great suggestion! I remember that pickup having a reputation for being terrible for jazz, on account of how bright it is. I wasn't aware til now that there was a 7 string version
The Matt Heafy signature. Perfect for weddings, bar mitzvahs, Proms...
Everything about that is sort of perfect, actually, except for the very modern looking pickups. But hey, who among us hasn't bought a $1,000 instrument only to immediately take a soldering iron to it?

ToRNOuTLaW

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Everything about that is sort of perfect, actually, except for the very modern looking pickups. But hey, who among us hasn't bought a $1,000 instrument only to immediately take a soldering iron to it?
Or maybe just build less-modern looking covers for the Fishmans, if you actually like their sound. The different voicings actually give nice options for clean tones.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Not sure what your budget is but if you can swing it, why not give an Ibanez AZ24047 a try?

If clarity in the neck is important and you aren't married to the idea of a chrome-covered humbucker in the neck, I can't think of much that's clearer than a single coil.
img_0907-jpg.17760
I would love to try one of these out myself. :agreed:

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
The Jazz is a great suggestion! I remember that pickup having a reputation for being terrible for jazz, on account of how bright it is. I wasn't aware til now that there was a 7 string version

Wait - are we not supposed to do that? :lol:

I think I have two guitars total with stock pickups in them haha.

• Haha

The Monster With .

Death row, water buffalo
Reaction score
Or maybe just build less-modern looking covers for the Fishmans, if you actually like their sound. The different voicings actually give nice options for clean tones.
Not a bad idea. I remember seeing someone do a wood vernier on a pair of Fishmans, looked pretty cool.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score

Meh, as other sage members have suggested, try em first.

On reflection, having the signature guitar of the guitarist of Trivium as a Jazz guitar is kinda twisted. A few arm tats and a Baby Carrier and this could be you, playing Stella By Starlight at the next Rotary Club Christmas Dinner...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240620_182935_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240620_182935_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25

bmtf

Reaction score
Ibanez Ax7521? Heres a pic of mine that needs some love, I mean new strings.

24.75 inch scale tuned to B with a jazz in the neck and a JB in the bridge. Never had a "les Paul wiring" guitar, before swapping the electronics in this one (that pickup ring is covering an aftermarket EMG route). It's so much fun dialing in the 3 positions. These pop up for cheap in Japan (the stained oil ones) a lot, I guess the cherry fudge version was a GC exclusive in the states.

plf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ibanez Ax7521? Heres a pic of mine that needs some love, I mean new strings.

24.75 inch scale tuned to B with a jazz in the neck and a JB in the bridge. Never had a "les Paul wiring" guitar, before swapping the electronics in this one (that pickup ring is covering an aftermarket EMG route). It's so much fun dialing in the 3 positions. These pop up for cheap in Japan (the stained oil ones) a lot, I guess the cherry fudge version was a GC exclusive in the states.

This was actually the first model I had my eye on-- I like the look of them a lot, especially with that oil finish. How's the 24.75 scale treat you, re: clean tones?

bmtf

Reaction score
@plf Good question, unplugged it sound snappier / maybe brighter. plugged in on cleans I like it but theres a lot of different variables. the closest guitars i can compare that are 25.5 have dimarzios and different bridges and bodies. I'll do some more testing in a bit!

plf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, after a fair bit of hemming and hawing, I pulled the trigger on an ARZ307. M I found one on Reverb in which someone had already installed PAF 7s, which seem about as clear a 7 string pickup as is out there. I'm imagining I'll add pickup covers to complete the look, assuming it's a keeper. Updates to follow...

S4M4R1N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another vote for Vola from my side. Check out their OZ7 (strat) and Vasti 7 (tele) offerings. Build quality to price ratio is excellent! There are great deals on Reverb right now if you want to test the waters of made in Japan 7 string for very low price: Corvette Yellow OZ7 and Kadinja signature OZ7 that easily rival aforementioned Ibanez AZ24047.

If you use pre-EQ, then don't worry about pickups too much. Vola in-house pickups respond nicely to all sorts of tweaking and it was hard to justify swapping other passives into it. I love 80's style ultra cleans (The Fixx, Def Leppard) and modern ultra gain (Fear Factory, Dying Fetus) at minimum noise floor, so I swapped in EMG 85-SA-SA combination with EXG and RPC for tone knobs.

Here's mine before and after the mods:
IMG_0267.jpeg
DSC05156.jpeg

TimmyPage

Reaction score
On the contrary that makes it perfect for jazz, as it remains clear while you roll off the highs with the volume and tone pots. The PAF7s in the guitar you got should be a joy too, enjoy!