Complete Gauge String Table.

AC.Lin

Poopy-di scoop & Scoop-diddy-whoop
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

First of all, :imnew: but i want to share a table i made in order to pick the set you might need for the tuning you want.

You'll find string set recommandations for:
- 24.75" neck
- 25.5" neck
- 26.5" neck (7 string guitar)
- tuning going from E standard to Drop F.

You can find the table here.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18rsvvZFdBDYamFm6eZd766dAYgouDTCe/view?usp=sharing

As i don't own a 8 string guitar with a 27" or 28" neck, i can't really add it but i could research about it.

I don't pretend to have the best answers, but i wish to give you the tools you need to find what suits you the best and maybe create your own set :banana:

Feel free to comment and give recommandations.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Thanks this is awesome

I used to have Hedi Xandt art as my avatar :yesway:

THEGRISWOLDS_HIGHTIMESFORLOWLIVES-1024x1024.jpg

AC.Lin

Reaction score
Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AC.Lin

Reaction score
Stop with these, heres a great tool for string tension. Tip 10-46 give you 17 pounds of tension on 25'5.

http://nabulator.nabusound.com/#/E2,A2,D3,G3,B3,E4,,/44,34,24,16p,12p,9p,,/25.5

Problem is that not everyone care about the tension or understand it.
Also, it's great to be able to calculate, but it's better when someone directly give you the set of strings you need to match that tension, with the reference etc.

Give that tension calculator to someone who's a total newbie and i bet he won't understand a single thing.
Because at the end, his reaction will be: "Ok, but what do i buy ?"
That's the point of my post, so assume you didn't bother checking the table.

The Silent Man

Savatage,Evergrey, Shadow Gallery,Vanden Plas fan
Reaction score
Nice work! I was looking for something like this.

AC.Lin

Reaction score
NEW EDITED VERSION HERE

update 3:
- added FULL TABLE CHART FOR ACOUSTIC GUITAR ('cause why not).
- added Standard E# for 24.75"
- added Standard E# for 25.5"
- added Standard B# for 26.5"
- added more factory setups for Ibanez, Schecter & Fender
- added comments
- fixed list order

New file available here : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KyGAShR59rfRVjzIJEDn5d3i5mPClcWX

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Good efforts here and useful for sure and definitely good average choices that many people are using. But as far as putting together a chart as a guide, it doesn't really make much sense in a lot of areas. E standard to Eb standard - why keep a 10 on top instead of move to 10.5? Why jump from 46 to 52 instead of using a 49? These translations are often not too accurate and the different between 24.75 and 25.5 is exaggerated in a similar way. I have to second the above suggestion of just using a string tension calculator really. Not trying to bash the work, it's a good resource and definitely a good general guideline especially if string set selection is limited, but it's not very accurate or scientific like you might expect such a resource to be when we have string tension calculators around. Have a play with some calculators and try it using more options from the D'addario catalogue.

Super easy formulas:
Increase gauge 1.06x every semitone.
The difference between gauges on 24.75 and 25.5 should be this at most, too, because the tension change between the scale lengths is only 1.03x. Generally the same set provides the closest possible feel on either scale. Sometimes 0.5 increments are handy. 0.5 increments for every semitone up or down generally works well too :)

AC.Lin

Reaction score
Good efforts here and useful for sure and definitely good average choices that many people are using. But as far as putting together a chart as a guide, it doesn't really make much sense in a lot of areas. E standard to Eb standard - why keep a 10 on top instead of move to 10.5? Why jump from 46 to 52 instead of using a 49? These translations are often not too accurate and the different between 24.75 and 25.5 is exaggerated in a similar way. I have to second the above suggestion of just using a string tension calculator really. Not trying to bash the work, it's a good resource and definitely a good general guideline especially if string set selection is limited, but it's not very accurate or scientific like you might expect such a resource to be when we have string tension calculators around. Have a play with some calculators and try it using more options from the D'addario catalogue.

Super easy formulas:
Increase gauge 1.06x every semitone.
The difference between gauges on 24.75 and 25.5 should be this at most, too, because the tension change between the scale lengths is only 1.03x. Generally the same set provides the closest possible feel on either scale. Sometimes 0.5 increments are handy. 0.5 increments for every semitone up or down generally works well too :)

Basically everything you are saying is correct.
Why i do not put for example a 10.5 instead of a 10 for Eb standard is because the only set available for that matters is the EXL110+ (10.5-48), which could perfectly be fine, but it would be a bit of tension lose, and it lacks a bit of versatility in case the person wants to Drop or try something a bit different.
I could calculate everything and do that in the most scientific way, but i would have to create custom sets for a lot of tunings. But since i'm only aiming at the existing premade sets....

So your point is totally correct and your formula is also good :cheers:
But as i said "I don't pretend to have the best answers, but i wish to give you the tools you need to find what suits you the best and maybe create your own set"

Last edited:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Totally understood - they are good options like I said , just thought it was worth pointing out in case people that don't calculate tension as you mentioned above, assumed these were perfect translations. I wouldn't have a problem with any of these sets though :)