Completely forgot to post this here - I've been writing solos for a new release

• Thread starter Drew
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I shot this video a couple months ago after writing and demoing out the song, in part just so if enough time passed before it was time to record I'd have video to help me go back and learn it, and then left town for a race right after recording this and forgot all about sharing it anywhere. :lol:

My first album I improvised all the solo sections, but this time around I've been trying to write solos. In the past whenever I did that they sounded too "arranged," so what I'm doing this time is starting by improvising until I get something I like, figure out what I like about it and learning that part, and then improvising over the parts I DON'T like until I come up with something I do and punching that in, with the aim of creating a solo that sounds like it could have been improvised, but I was just absolutely killing it on that particular day. And, that it's something I can go back and play over and over again and repeat, rather than having to improvise something new if I were ever to perform this.

Long story short it's been a lot of fun.

Anyway, this is the point where the song, in A minor, modulates to D minor for a solo section, which is a move I 100% stole from Joe Satriani. The very end you can hear me returning to A minor again, with the chorus melody, but with the intensity taken way back.

Let me know what you think!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thanks man! Drums need some jazzing up, these are basically just placeholders, but the project is coming along...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I like it. Reminds me of Brian May / Queen a bit. Because there always has to be that guy that says your stuff sounds like someone else. lol. Sound quality is good too.

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Good stuff. Just the wrong guitar for it with the single coils.

I don't like to critique other players but, personally, more picking and less legato would been better to my ears.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Good stuff. Just the wrong guitar for it with the single coils.

I don't like to critique other players but, personally, more picking and less legato would been better to my ears.
Honestly, I'm not sure what I'll ultimately use to play this - for various reasons this Strat is the guitar I've been reaching for the most lately, and it very well could make the final recording, but I at least want to audition a H-H Suhr as a potential alternative. The semi-clean riff stuff is almost certainly going to still be singlecoil though, I think the in-between Strat sound really works for that (though, with the initial unaccompanied gain levels, rather than the slightly higher ones when I join in).

And I'm a legato junkie. Can't help it. :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I like it. Reminds me of Brian May / Queen a bit. Because there always has to be that guy that says your stuff sounds like someone else. lol. Sound quality is good too.
I'm glad to hear it's May, someone who I don't really listen to a ton of, and not one of the guys I AM influenced by, at least. Paradoxically that's probably a good sign that I'm not drawing too heavily on my influences. :lol:

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not sure what I'll ultimately use to play this - for various reasons this Strat is the guitar I've been reaching for the most lately, and it very well could make the final recording, but I at least want to audition a H-H Suhr as a potential alternative. The semi-clean riff stuff is almost certainly going to still be singlecoil though, I think the in-between Strat sound really works for that (though, with the initial unaccompanied gain levels, rather than the slightly higher ones when I join in).

And I'm a legato junkie. Can't help it. :lol:
Single coil sized rail humbuckers would suit your lead playing style well. I was unfamiliar with them until I put an Air Norton S in my Charvel and it become one of my favorite pickups.

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really like my Fender Gen 4 Noiseless set. My Strat has been my main guitar lately.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I really like my Fender Gen 4 Noiseless set. My Strat has been my main guitar lately.
I'd be curious to give those another try - I remember being very underwhelmed with the original gen 1 set, compared to the Gold Lace Sensors I had in this guitar at the time, but I feel like noiseless singlecoils have really improved recently and the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage set I was using for a while before I went to the Suhr ML Standards in here now were really pretty excellent. I imagine the Fenders are likely also a lot less sterile than they used to be... but I also haven't played a bar gig in close proximity to neon lights or anything in YEARS so i don't mind the hum as much as I used to. :lol: