Conan Tuning

• Thread starter ArtDecade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
You can go as low as you want, using proper string gauge.

If one wants to play with ''bass'' strings on a 6 string and Gibson scale and leave their fingertips on the wound , then why not?
Put the proper string gauge, tune, intonate, adjust truss rod (not in this particular sequence) and you're good to go.
Why not? I can use a screwdriver as a hammer, but I would rather save time and use the hammer. At some point, all of the work required to setup a guitar as a pseudo-bass eventually leads one well down the path of diminishing returns. Conan can certainly do whatever floats their boat.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BillK

Reaction score
Why not? I can use a screwdriver as a hammer, but I would rather save time and use the hammer. At some point, all of the work required to setup a guitar as a pseudo-bass eventually leads one well down the path of diminishing returns. Conan can certainly do whatever floats their boat.
I really don't get the fuss about it...
Is it so hard to do a guitar setup?

You can throw .013 – .015 – .019p – .028 – .038 – .058 on a strat in standard Eb (some SRV played that) or use 0.54 bottom for A (Dino Cazares)...

ErockRPh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My main guitar has been a LP tuned to C# standard (11-58 custom Stringjoy set), and I recently decided to add a 30" baritone Harley Benton for playing in the 8-string range (F# standard/Drop E). I gotta say, I hate the feel of the 30" scale. It feels like playing a bass. I know part of it is the shape of the neck, but a lot of it is the scale length. I can totally see why someone would rather deal with floppy strings at a lower scale length. Even at a "normal" tension in the 18-20 pound range, the 30" scale guitar just doesn't chug right, and fast palm-muted riffs feel like you're fighting the string's vibration.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw an article that Conan tunes their instruments to Drop F on 6 string guitars. That almost seems impossible, but even it so, why not move over to baritones or 8 strings? Geezus.
Because he knows the riddle of steel

Captura-de-pantalla-148.png

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
You can go as low as you want, using proper string gauge.

If one wants to play with ''bass'' strings on a 6 string and Gibson scale and leave their fingertips on the wound , then why not?
Put the proper string gauge, tune, intonate, adjust truss rod (not in this particular sequence) and you're good to go.
In my experience you can't intonate a thick string on a short scale guitar. It will always be sharp on the 12th fret, even if you pull the saddle all the way back. Happens on all my "normal" guitars.

BillK

Reaction score
In my experience you can't intonate a thick string on a short scale guitar. It will always be sharp on the 12th fret, even if you pull the saddle all the way back. Happens on all my "normal" guitars.
Then you need even thicker gauge.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I really don't get the fuss about it...
Is it so hard to do a guitar setup?

You can throw .013 – .015 – .019p – .028 – .038 – .058 on a strat in standard Eb (some SRV played that) or use 0.54 bottom for A (Dino Cazares)...
I've been setting up instruments for 35 years. If someone brings me a Les Paul and 80 gauge string, I am going to look at them like they have lost their shit.

BillK

Reaction score
You know guys there are thicker strings than 9s and 10s, right?

I don't get the laughter.

I have already justified my opinions, only for getting back comments like:

''If someone brings me a Les Paul and 80 gauge string, I am going to look at them like they have lost their shit.''??

WTF is that?

If someone brings you such thing, you will do your job, instead of insulting him or they will find a proper professional to setup their instrument to their preferences.

Thank god I setup and maintain my instruments by myself for the last 31 years, instead of throwing my money to ''pros'' who cannot even perform a basic setup.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

''If someone brings me a Les Paul and 80 gauge string, I am going to look at them like they have lost their shit.''??

WTF is that?

If someone brings you such thing, you will do your job, instead of insulting him or they will find a proper professional to setup their instrument to their preferences.

Thank god I setup and maintain my instruments by myself for the last 31 years, instead of throwing my money to ''pros'' who cannot even perform a basic setup.

Jeez man, just get a tea or something :lol:

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score

WTF is that?

The [fricker] are you talking about? I'm not a professional luthier, son. I am a player that has been doing his own work for a long time. My only job is calling out dopes on SevenString.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score

WTF is that?

As someone who has tuned "standard" scale guitars down into the E1 range and moved on to baritones, I've spend a lot of time messing gauges, intonation, action, etc and at some point a larger string becomes MORE difficult to intonate. The more mass across a shorter distance gets more and more rigid

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tried to put my SCA220 in A#-Standard today, just for the fun of it. Also because I loved the stupid idea of a Les Paul or Explorer going as low as the lower 6 strings of my RG2027XL, but with the ability to quickly drop tune for messing around and writing. I really stress the "messy" part of the word here, I'm a trash player (not thrash).
It actually sounds so funny and raw, but as someone pointed out, the intonation in the upper registers on the low strings is all over the place. Used 12-60 since it was all the shop had, but might try 13-64. Droping the A# to G# is actually to much and only usable for DOOOOM. But it was a fun experiement and it might stick around, since the thought of a "classic" guitar sludging around where my two ERGs are super spot on seems like a fun addition to the studio.

P.S.: Is there something like a D-Tuna for Lo Pro Edges?

oracles

Reaction score
You definitely can, I'm doing it right now on a 24.75" lawsuit LP in F#.

That said, no one in doom is playing past the 12th fret anyway, so it doesn't matter 😂

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
You definitely can, I'm doing it right now on a 24.75" lawsuit LP in F#.

That said, no one in doom is playing past the 12th fret anyway, so it doesn't matter 😂
How? Is it an expensive guitar thing? Did you send the nut to fit huge strings? I've had 6 or 7 guitars, all of them the thicker the string and the lower the tuning, the more they struggle to intonate.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Jon does have some guitars that are not Gibson scale, and in an interview I read he said his guitar is a "special" scale length or something like that... I don't necessarily think that means it's a super long baritone scale, maybe it's just 25" or 25.5" or something that isn't typical for an LP. Also he has some custom guitars that I've seen him post on IG, so point being, like other dudeman said, he's got some other guitars and he's not only playing Gibson LPs.

The other day I got a 26.5" guitar and I put on 12-62 string set, and I had it tuned to drop F no problem. I know that's nearly 2" longer than a traditional LP, but my point is you don't need a 30" Meshuggah guitar to play in F.

What would Conan even do with 8 strings? lol the dude literally just plays 1 finger power chords on the low 2 strings. He could probably get away with a 4 string guitar. Maybe 3.