considering tone block replacements for trems

• Thread starter soldierkahn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
As i near the end of my journey of getting a guitar suited for every purpose i can think of, ive now shifted into upgrading my current lineup. This isnt me saying there is anything wrong with them currently with stock hardware, but I am curious as to the benefits/downsides of getting a replacement tone block for my LoPros. While replacing them with titanium LoPros from Hantug is a bit cost-prohibitive at $1000 a piece, I am curious about replacing the stock Ibanez/Gotoh toneblocks.

Speaking specifically about the replacement Edge blocks from FU-tone, they have brass, titanium, and copper up for offer but I dont have enough experience with the materials to know what kind of an effect theyll have on tone. I know that PRS uses a lot of brass in their bridge hardware for the resonance, but what kind of an effect will titanium or brass have compared to the stock toneblock?

https://www.fu-tone.com/product-category/big-blocks/big-blocks-ibanez/

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
i dont think its called a tone block in any manual that came with a guitar lol.

People who have done the swaps will hopefully chime in, but change for the sake of change could probably be better spent elsewhere.

“Its a bit brighter now” well yes new strings are always brighter and im not sure that factors in.

The whole setup needs to be on point before I’d worry about replacing a trem block :2c:. At best its likely a lateral move, as with changing out trems or bridges or stopbars.

Very curious to read the replies!

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I’m sorry, did you say $1000 titanium LoPro? And you’re still considering other options?

Jokes aside, I’ve never tried one of these, but I do know that a lot of them are larger than the stock ones. This often results in the bridge losing range of motion, or in extreme cases, needing wood to be removed for it to fit.

I also know they make a lot of sizes, and it can be pretty easy to buy the wrong one. Just have to measure everything and double check the product dimensions before you buy.

Calija

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Speaking specifically about the replacement Edge blocks from FU-tone, they have brass, titanium, and copper up for offer but I dont have enough experience with the materials to know what kind of an effect theyll have on tone. I know that PRS uses a lot of brass in their bridge hardware for the resonance, but what kind of an effect will titanium or brass have compared to the stock toneblock?

I saw a post somewhere with actual quantitative data that showed the different block material didnt make much of a difference at all. Its probably pretty easy to find and its a fairly reliable test and Im pretty sure they did a titanium block and if i find the post Ill send the link.

Reaction score
As i near the end of my journey of getting a guitar suited for every purpose i can think of, ive now shifted into upgrading my current lineup. This isnt me saying there is anything wrong with them currently with stock hardware, but I am curious as to the benefits/downsides of getting a replacement tone block for my LoPros. While replacing them with titanium LoPros from Hantug is a bit cost-prohibitive at $1000 a piece, I am curious about replacing the stock Ibanez/Gotoh toneblocks.

If it's bigger tone you're after, you'll get far more interesting results if you mess with the guitar circuit, like testing different value pots and treble bleed solutions and... you know, pickups... and STRINGS, different kinds of strings, brands, compounds/formulas and gauges! Now that's where the tone lives, in strings!...

(...). This often results in the bridge losing range of motion, or in extreme cases, needing wood to be removed for it to fit.

(...)
Now here's a perspective on this subject I haven't thought of (mostly because I do't think in changing the trem's block), but it makes perfect sense. One more reason not to get one of these for me, thanks!

Waste of money. Save your money for amps/cabs/software... That's where everything counts
+1

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
While I do like the subtle perks from the Gotoh retrofits on my guitars (the steel block on a GE101TS breathed new life in my Talman), and I've toyed with the idea of getting a Sophia Global Tuner Pro. But ultimately, I decided there's no substantial point in upgrading the blocks on my Edges, especially when I'm already satisfied with the sound of the guitar.

I do still like the idea of the Global Tuner though.

BrutalRob

Reaction score
I have been using different Sustain block materials in the past, they do all have some impact on your tone imo, but probably less than you might think or wish for. All subjective in the end.
I would not spend the money on the hantug tremolo. I did give it a shot last year and was glad i could return it. The saddles could not be held in place once you tuned the string, the kept slighting forward as soon as you put tension on the strings. And i do not use heavy gauges with lots of tension. Might have been the coating though, as i opted for the black version, maybe the uncoated would work better.

mastapimp

Reaction score
In my experience, upgrading may get you a touch more sustain, but it's not going to reshape the tone of the instrument. Just go with the big brass block and make sure it's the correct length so it doesn't butt up against your trem cavity cover.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Brass is just as soft as the zinc alloys used in cheap blocks to begin with. If you want a noticable difference use steel. I've did a lot of block swapping. Mostly in strats. None of them sounded bad to begin with. But I did have this Mexican standard strat that was pretty dull sounding with the stock fat zinc block. I put an all steel Callahan trem in it and it made a big difference. I put a Gotoh GE101TS in a squier and it made a big difference. I put a Gotoh 510 in another strat and it also made a big difference. Gotoh 510 is just a really great design too.

Swapped the stock block in my cousin's 2005 RG1527RB for an FU fat brass one with zero noticeable difference.

I didn't swap the block but I put one of those tremolo deadlocks on a 2000 RG570EX-CPK and that actually made a difference.

I can't speak for titanium or stone tones.

For me it's steel or don't bother.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Brass is just as soft as the zinc alloys used in cheap blocks to begin with. If you want a noticable difference use steel. I've did a lot of block swapping. Mostly in strats. None of them sounded bad to begin with. But I did have this Mexican standard strat that was pretty dull sounding with the stock fat zinc block. I put an all steel Callahan trem in it and it made a big difference. I put a Gotoh GE101TS in a squier and it made a big difference. I put a Gotoh 510 in another strat and it also made a big difference. Gotoh 510 is just a really great design too.

Swapped the stock block in my cousin's 2005 RG1527RB for an FU fat brass one with zero noticeable difference.

I didn't swap the block but I put one of those tremolo deadlocks on a 2000 RG570EX-CPK and that actually made a difference.

I can't speak for titanium or stone tones.

For me it's steel or don't bother.

I had no idea they made granite blocks until now.

Big marketing miss by not calling them TombsTones

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I’m sorry, did you say $1000 titanium LoPro? And you’re still considering other options?

Jokes aside, I’ve never tried one of these, but I do know that a lot of them are larger than the stock ones. This often results in the bridge losing range of motion, or in extreme cases, needing wood to be removed for it to fit.

I also know they make a lot of sizes, and it can be pretty easy to buy the wrong one. Just have to measure everything and double check the product dimensions before you buy.

yeah Hantug made a batch of them a while back. they were a bit too pricey for my pocketbook lol

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I've done a bunch of Floyd block swapping. Generally, it will not change your sustain despite their marketing. The heavier blocks do seem to lop off some treble. But I doubt your drummer will notice any difference.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I've done a bunch of Floyd block swapping. Generally, it will not change your sustain despite their marketing. The heavier blocks do seem to lop off some treble. But I doubt your drummer will notice any difference.
I've heard of people saying swapping the zinc block on a Floyd special for a steel ofr version made a difference. But for me swapping a stock ofr steel block for a fat brass block is a downgrade. Unless you have a guitar that's just way too bright sounding.

cardinal

Reaction score
I've heard of people saying swapping the zinc block on a Floyd special for a steel ofr version made a difference. But for me swapping a stock ofr steel block for a fat brass block is a downgrade. Unless you have a guitar that's just way too bright sounding.
Yeah, it's not necessarily a good thing to make a guitar sound a bit darker.

The marketing for these blocks makes it seem like a heavy brass block will make a Superstrat resonate and sustain like a Les Paul. IME it will not. The difference is very subtle.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not necessarily a good thing to make a guitar sound a bit darker.

The marketing for these blocks makes it seem like a heavy brass block will make a Superstrat resonate and sustain like a Les Paul. IME it will not. The difference is very subtle.

thats all i was looking to remedy is the sustain loss from it being a trem guitar. but i guess if im just blocking my trems, this is wholely unneeded

cardinal

Reaction score
thats all i was looking to remedy is the sustain loss from it being a trem guitar. but i guess if im just blocking my trems, this is wholely unneeded
I was pretty disappointed in the block swapping for this reason. It just didn't do that, at least from my perspective. Blocking the trem does help sustain a little bit, but it didn't matter what "block" was attached to the trem.

Marked Man

Reaction score
I saw a post somewhere with actual quantitative data that showed the different block material didnt make much of a difference at all. Its probably pretty easy to find and its a fairly reliable test and Im pretty sure they did a titanium block and if i find the post Ill send the link.

I've done plenty of real world A/B testing in the same guitar personally and can very easily hear and feel the difference. Put a massive 42mm brass toan block in my Charvel USA and it added noticeable girth as expected. Put a fat titanium block (from ebay....not GimmeAllYourMoney-Tone 🫠 ) on my Jackson Soloist and noticed increased girth and especially edge.

I've heard people all over the internets tell me that basically nothing matters. Wood, strings, blocks, even pickups and tubes, real vs modeler. Small wonder many of them are into modelers. But fortunately, my ears work. 😉

My advice to people is to think twice before changing blocks if you already like your guitar's basic tone. Because you may then think you have too much thump or edge and start chasing pickups to restore balance, not to mention trem action is different and of course range of motion may be limited.