considering tone block replacements for trems

• Thread starter soldierkahn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I get the feeling 99% of people commenting on tremolo blocks being a waste of money have never ever done it once.

A brass block is dirt cheap. It can change the sound of a guitar acoustically a fair bit. Since we usually base our decision on pickups based on the tone of the guitar, it can also affect your pickup choices.

If you have an OFR the difference may not be as big since the stock block is brass already, but Strat and Ibanez trems have cheap pot metal blocks.

How much that matters to you, only you can tell. People seems to associate Tremolo block swap = FuTone scam. :shrug:

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I get the feeling 99% of people commenting on tremolo blocks being a waste of money have never ever done it once.

A brass block is dirt cheap. It can change the sound of the guitar acoustically a fair bit deal. Since we usually base our decision on pickups based on the tone of the guitar, it can also affect your pickup choices.

If you have an OFR the difference may not be as big since the stock block is brass already, but Strat and Ibanez trems have cheap pot metal blocks.

How much that matters to you, only you can tell. People seems to associate Tremolo block swap = FuTone scam. :shrug:

its less about changing my tone, i can shape with my modeler fairly decently. i probably should have worded what i was saying better but what i was hoping to gain is more resonance and sustain, and i figured that more the mass would equal more resonance and sustain.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
its less about changing my tone, i can shape with my modeler fairly decently. i probably should have worded what i was saying better but what i was hoping to gain is more resonance and sustain, and i figured that more the mass would equal more resonance and sustain.
The sustain thing is negligible at best. It's more of a tonal change more than anything. Brass blocks will make the guitar more resonant and louder, though. Again, how much taht matters once amplified is up to you.

Another interesting factor is weight. Brass blocks are heavier. Titanium blocks are way lighter. Tungsten are massively heavy. It can help to leverage some weight on your guitar or balancing one that neckdives.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
The sustain thing is negligible at best. It's more of a tonal change more than anything. Brass blocks will make the guitar more resonant and louder, though. Again, how much taht matters once amplified is up to you.

Another interesting factor is weight. Brass blocks are heavier. Titanium blocks are way lighter. Tungsten are massively heavy. It can help to leverage some weight on your guitar or balancing one that neckdives.

yeah i generally use fishing weights in control cavities for that, but its nice to know that the brass outweighs the titanium. i sure wouldnt mind a little more weight in the body to balance it out more

trem licking

Reaction score
anyone that has swapped blocks... did you record the DI before and after swaps to A/B? that is the tell all

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
anyone that has swapped blocks... did you record the DI before and after swaps to A/B? that is the tell all
I did. Even swapping just the claw made a slight (although trivial) difference. There're videos on youtube showing you before/after block swap samples where you'd be deaf to deny a difference.

But different =/= better. I preferred the stock block on a Strat against a titanium one. It was just too bright.

Of course you can play with EQ to replicate the effects, but I prefer to focus on the instrument (if I can) rather than pedals and other stuff.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
A higher value volume pot will deliver brightness (more high end passing through).

A different kind of strings may deliver brightness as well.

All these are cheaper than a replacement trem block...
You can't replicate the frequency shift of a brass block with a different pot. A titanium one maaaybe. But then again I would only get a titanium block for their weight relief capabilities or for a very, very dark guitar. And there's no way I'd pay what they ask for them nowadays.

The days where Floyd Rose sold them for 80$ are looong gone. And there's this guy at TGP that buys every single one of them that pops up for sale :lol:

Last edited:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
could you link me to what youa re talking about?

20240208_201736-jpg.138414

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score

gclef

Reaction score
I saw a thread years ago, maybe on here where a guy changed the intertia block from the stock gotoh to bras, titanium, etc.

He had graphs and all.

The end result was that it sounded different but not "better". All the blocks has something going on.

The biggest takeaway was that the stock block is far from junk, and tjat the cost was not worth it.

All the new blocks also limited the trem travel, if that is important to you.

My edge is 100% stock and fully functional after 25 years.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
No but I also changed to a Tremmory at the same time so it wasn't single variable either.

My trems have usually a big block, titanium string lock screws, titanium string clamps and some sort of trem balancing system.

It makes a big difference. One thing is the mass. The TRS-101 trem has a really light block so adding some mass helps.

Even if you block your trem you are adding mass. More mass equals more volume, e.g. sound travels farther in water than in air because it's denser.

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
Yeah I don't do the fat blocks. I just want a standard size block made of steel. The oversized blocks limit movement.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
I've done a lot of block changes over the years, Brass, Titanium, Steel, Hantug Ti trem. In my personal experience:

- The amount of tonal change depends on the guitar. Brighter guitars will change more significantly than darker guitars
- You will hear change in the 'speed' of the low end. For instance, when I changed from a brass block to a Ti, the low end became quicker and less 'smeared' because there was less resonance (it was like effect that you get from muting trem springs or strings behind the nut but without becoming duller)

You need to consider the guitar tone as it stands currently, the material you want to play on it, probably the tuning to some degree and then adjust accordingly.