Controller for pedals and amp

Reaction score
Hey!

I'm looking for a controller to steer my effect pedals and amp channel with.
Of course I have certain demands that makes me get lost in this jungle of options.

First a list of what exactly I want to connect to it (and where in the chain)

AMP:
EVH 5150 III 50w

INFRONT OF AMP:
Korg Pitchblack tuner
DUNLOP ZAKK Wah
MXR ZW-44 overdrive

IN THE EFFECTS LOOP:
MXR Smartgate
Ibanez dl-10 delay
MXR 5-band eq
MXR EVH phase 90
Chorus pedal incoming...

Since the EHV 5150 can be MIDI controlled it gives me more choices of wich controller I want i guess. And I want to be able to have for example CH3 on my amp turned on, ZW-44, smartgate, delay and the eq with a single stomp on the controller and maybe on another setting the CH1, chorus and delay.

Does anyone know of a controller that can help me do this? Without any extra midi-box needed. I guess the G Lab GSC-5 would do the job, but it seems a little pricy for me.

Can I get just some pedals in the fx loop using either the gsc-3, Rocktron PatchMate Loop 8 Floor or the Voodo lab commander? The Carl Martin Octa switch seems nice, but I've figured it cant control my amp channels, right?

Any help really appreciated!

/Jonatan

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mniel8195

Reaction score
This is something you want to spend a little money on if you choose to keep the amp for a long time. it will become the brain of your rig! dont screw it up. Spend more now so you dont have to later.

Reaction score
This is something you want to spend a little money on if you choose to keep the amp for a long time. it will become the brain of your rig! dont screw it up. Spend more now so you dont have to later.

Thanks for your reply. Don't want to spend the double of what I need to if that's not necessary though.

mniel8195

Reaction score
check out what pete thorn is using i think they have a few options packed into a small package.

Reaction score
Thanks! seems like the Musicomlab mkIII he's using is good shit, and in a pretty handy size! But not sure if there's a way to connect some pedals in front and some in the loop of the amp .

awesome unit though! gonna dig deeper into this.

Reaction score
you can hook pedals to the effects loop thats what he does

yeah well I got that. that's what u can do on any of those devices. But I want to be able to split so that I have some in front of the amp but to turn them on and off at the same time with a single stomp.

Reaction score
you cant just program that? am i missing something?

maybe you can!

not sure how to connect the pedals so that some goes to the input of the amp and some to the loop. I'm watching a demo on youtube on the musicomlab now and it seems he can do that on it if I get it right. would be awesome if it is so.

I checking the manual and since it has two inputs and two outputs i guess you can do just that!

About the ampswitching... since my amp only has one footswith input (as an most amps), i wonder if I still can do the channel switching to it's fullest capability.

mniel8195

Reaction score
the evh amp switching can be controlled via midi you can ditch the footswitch. how does the price look?

Reaction score
the evh amp switching can be controlled via midi you can ditch the footswitch. how does the price look?

749 USD, but seems very hard to find in Sweden. There's one store here in Stockholm with only pedals and effects that I've gotta check with. They might have it or some similar product.

The price I'd say is a little over my budget, but might be okey.Guess there will be black pudding for dinner next month.

ihunda

Reaction score
You could also ditch the pedals and got to something like G-major or GSP1001. Both can control your peavey via midi and replace your pedals.

Reaction score
You could also ditch the pedals and got to something like G-major or GSP1001. Both can control your peavey via midi and replace your pedals.

Yeah, thought about that. But I'm pretty big fan of not having another case to carry, and also collecting/changing pedals is like eating candy for me!! And I like the fact that I can change just one unit(effect) If I need to or just want to try something else out.

WarMachine

Reaction score
^ this. I use a GSP1101 as a preamp with my 5150 but i have also ran it just for the effects and using it for effects alone is worth ditching all your pedals, TRUST ME!! I used to have the MXR Wylde Overdrive and Zakk Wylde Wah and those, along with all the other pedals i had got traded with some interest to get my GSP. Pick that up and pair it with a Rocktron MidiXChange or Midimate if you dont want to shell out another 300 for the matching pedal and your set. This to me is the ultimate setup, and i couldnt be happier with my rig! Give it a shot dude, you wont be disappointed! And also, dont let the GSP running thru the effects loop fool you for distortions and OD's, the distortion goes out in front of the amp, just like normal whereas you can route all the other effects thru the loop or the front as you choose. It really is a gnarly piece of gear! :shred:

Reaction score
Have I got it all right if I say: My controller need to have 2 inputs and 2 outputs to be able to have some units in front of amp and some in the loop?

Or can i just go from send on my amp into my (for example) phaser, then return on one of the loops on the controller and then send on the next loop into a delay and after that from delay out to the return on my amp?

ihunda

Reaction score
^ this. I use a GSP1101 as a preamp with my 5150 but i have also ran it just for the effects and using it for effects alone is worth ditching all your pedals, TRUST ME!! I used to have the MXR Wylde Overdrive and Zakk Wylde Wah and those, along with all the other pedals i had got traded with some interest to get my GSP. Pick that up and pair it with a Rocktron MidiXChange or Midimate if you dont want to shell out another 300 for the matching pedal and your set. This to me is the ultimate setup, and i couldnt be happier with my rig! Give it a shot dude, you wont be disappointed! And also, dont let the GSP running thru the effects loop fool you for distortions and OD's, the distortion goes out in front of the amp, just like normal whereas you can route all the other effects thru the loop or the front as you choose. It really is a gnarly piece of gear! :shred:

Yeah, the GSP is great here because it supports 4CM, so distortion and comp in front of amp, delay and reverb in the effect loop FTW :hbang:

But I am like the OP, I also collect pedals but that's just for my bedroom setup :) Wouldn't want to move all the spaghetti cables on stage. :lol: