Converting Warmoth 5 string bass into a 7 string sub-baritone guitar

DoktorAtomic

haters gonna hate
Reaction score
Hello folks. I've lately been playing around ideas for how to achieve insanely low tunings, like lower than a normal 8 string, while still maintaining a tonal footprint similar to that of a guitar rather than a bass. One theory I have is converting an extended range bass into an extended range guitar by routing the bridge pickup closer to the bridge, using string gauges lighter than those on a bass, and slotting the nut for seven or eight strings. Warmoth's seven string necks have a nut width that is about the same as their 5 string basses, while the Gecko six string bass has a nut as wide as an eight string guitar.

So basically I could build either a 34" scale seven string baritone, possibly tuned to something like G to G on the six and D (an octave below a guitar's drop D on the) seventh. Or... a 35" scale 8 string with some even lower tuning.

I'm leaning toward the 34" scale seven. I can play a 34" scale bass fine, but I feel like I'd probably have more difficulty on the 35". What I'm thinking is if I
1. get the body made of some bright wood like alder,
2. rout for seven string guitar pickups,
3.place the bridge pickup just in front of the bridge, like in most electric guitars, and
4. use strings no thicker than what would normally be used on an 8 string guitar

I should be able to tune far lower than any eight string while still sounding like a detuned guitar, not a bass.

So what do you guys think? Is it feasible? Has it already been done? what tunings would work best for it? Am I crazy for even thinking about trying to build such an instrument??

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

8nexus8

Reaction score
sounds awesome, but what about the bridge? and where will you do all this woodwork? too bad warmoth doesn't make 8 string gutiars or baritones longer than 28 5/8

DoktorAtomic

haters gonna hate
Reaction score
sounds awesome, but what about the bridge? and where will you do all this woodwork? too bad warmoth doesn't make 8 string gutiars or baritones longer than 28 5/8

I know offhand that Hipshot makes great 7 and 8 string bridges. There might be other companies that do as well. When I order the body I'll get it without a bridge rout, and it should have some kind of index hole in its place, so I can just put it on myself.

As far as the woodworking, I have a decent workshop in my basement and just about all the tools you would need. Its just routing the pickup cavity, cutting the nut slots, and bolting everything together. And maybe applying some kind of ghetto paint job to the finished product.

I think if I explained what I was doing to Warmoth they'd probably rout for the pickups and bridge and cut the nut slots for me.

Now I'm thinking I might try to build the eight string out of the Gecko 6 with the 35" neck.
I want to tune C-F(the Meshuggah F) then Bb-Bb on the six.

Sadly it may be a while before this project gets underway. Kinda tight on cash.

But when I'm done I'll have the most diarrhea-inducing low tone ever heard by man!

DoktorAtomic

haters gonna hate
Reaction score
How are you going to stop the high strings from breaking?

By tuning low enough that the strings have some slack. Say you use an .009 as your highest string. If you tuned like a standard eight string, it would most definitely break at a 34 or 35 inch scale. If you tune down so that the six strings are Bb to Bb like I intend to, the tension on the first string at .009 would be roughly the same as on a standard 25.5" guitar, about 13lbs. I found that out using this string tension calculator:

Guitar String Calculator

bandinaboy

SS.org Unsui
Reaction score
another possible concern: string length. I have heard of some strings not fitting a 30" 8 string guitar. if you are using guitar strings for this project, make sure they are long enough.

Counterspell

Wesley Belmont
Reaction score
Cool idea, I wish you success with this project!

What I can say, as the owner of a Gecko 5, that I highly recommend going with the Gecko. I know the main difference will be a 35 inch scale, but its a very nice instrument, and I think the difference in heel,body contours, and neck shape is worth it over the standard models.

But also as said above, string length will be a challenge, but that seems to be the only potential problem I can think of for doing this.

vansinn

Reaction score
Cool idea! You could also simply buy an inexpensive Wolf 7-string 35" bass ;)
Have a look at mine in my albums. I did a mini review post about it like a year or so ago.

Apart from the obvious, playing bass on it, I also sometimes play use it as a ULSB - Ultra Long Scale Baritone :lol:
Both for this and for bass, I'm quite happy with the stock Olympia strings, providing a nicely rigid action. Except for the .125 low B, to be replaced likely with a DR DDT.

In my opinion, the low B isn't suited for guitar works, but it has to be noted that is isn't stringed or setup for guitar works.
Strings are maybe spread a Bit too much for guitar works, but I'm pretty sure the neck could be trimmed more guitar-like with less taper.

idunno

Reaction score
Good plan. Im currently working on a 6 stringer with a 30 inch scale to be tuned to drop D an octave below standard guitar. Im using a 90 gauge on the low D.

Im using the bass VI set from ernie ball for strings, its hard finding really long guitar strings. O4 plus may make you a custom set.

DO it!

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
It can definitely be done.

I play a 32" to 36" multi-scale baritone 7 string. Mine is headless and string length is not a problem.

For your headed instrument you can use Circle K strings if string length is an issue.