Yet another PU recommandation thread - Change SD Blackouts to XYZ?

Dommak89

Reaction score
Hi guys,

so I'm really not satisfied with my SD Blackouts in my 7-string Agile Interceptor (mahagony body). I can't seem to be able to dial in a tone that I like. When using the same profiles (Kemper) I use with my 6-strings or my other 7-string, they all sound better IMO than this one, so I figured it's the PUs that need to be changed.

I'm a fan of mahagony body and a combination of Seymour Duncan SH-6 in the bridge and either SH-2/Sentient/Black Winter in the neck. I play a lot of (Modern) Metal, with influences from Sylosis, Gojira, Bleed from Within, AILD and others.

So now I'm debating whether to switch it out completely and use my known standards, or go with maybe the "new hype": Fishman Fluence Modern.

For me there's several factors I consider:
- Easyness of switching it out --> Is active to passive more work than active to a different active system?
- Price --> For some reason a Fishman Fluence Modern Set is cheaper than getting a SH-6 and a Sentient
- Needs to be a soapbar

Honestly I'm even debating if it makes sense to switch the PUs or just try to sell the Agile and get eg. a Cort KX507 that already has the right PUs instead. Simply because on the bottom line it would be the same costs, if I get roughly the same for the Agile as I bought it a couple of weeks ago.

TL;DR: OP is undecided which direction to go to create a sound he likes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
When using the same profiles (Kemper) I use with my 6-strings or my other 7-string, they all sound better IMO than this one, so I figured it's the PUs that need to be changed.
Have you considered that this might be the issue, rather than the pickups? I'm going to guess that your other guitars have various passive pickups and were what you created the profiles for. If you were to create new Kemper profiles that are optimal for the Agile w/ Blackouts, all of your other guitars are likely to sound worse than the Agile with those same profiles.

That said:
I would never choose Blackouts.
I like to be able to use multiple guitars / pickups with the same amp / modeller settings (it seems that you do too). This allows each guitar / pickup to impart it's own character on my tone, while also avoiding the hassle of anything beyond minor amp tweaking, so is win-win imo.
If I was you, I would go with passives that are similar enough but different to what I already have (and like) in my collection. For example, as you know you like the Distortion in the bridge, you could consider things like Black Winter / Invader / JB (all four models are a variation of the same design). Or you could consider options in the same ballpark as the Distortion from another brand (e.g. DiMarzio Evolution / D Activator / X2N, or BKP Painkiller / ceramic Nailbomb).

Dommak89

Reaction score
Have you considered that this might be the issue, rather than the pickups? I'm going to guess that your other guitars have various passive pickups and were what you created the profiles for. If you were to create new Kemper profiles that are optimal for the Agile w/ Blackouts, all of your other guitars are likely to sound worse than the Agile with those same profiles.
Yes, I've done that. The Kemper is designed to have the possibility to have multiple sounds and "play" around with different ideas and still make it match your overall sound.
I've tried equing, using different amp/cabinet combinations, looked at typical equalizing settings for seven strings, but somehow it all sounds very harsh and even with less gain I have this chainsaw sound.
If I was you, I would go with passives that are similar enough but different to what I already have (and like) in my collection. For example, as you know you like the Distortion in the bridge, you could consider things like Black Winter / Invader / JB (all four models are a variation of the same design). Or you could consider options in the same ballpark as the Distortion from another brand (e.g. DiMarzio Evolution / D Activator / X2N, or BKP Painkiller / ceramic Nailbomb).
Yeah that's my gut feeling as well, just because I "know" it and have one less piece in the signal chain to worry about.

Switching from active to passive pickups means changing potis, correct?

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My vote: try some EMG's. All you'd have to do is unplug your original pickup and put an EMG in. You wouldn't have to do anything with the rest of the electronics.

I've had Blackouts in 7 and 8 string guitars. The 7's were okay but I didn't like them for anything that wasn't high gain. The 8's were much better all around for clean to super heavy tones.

That said I've switched both guitars to EMG. The 7 string now has 707's and it's much more well rounded now. That guitar also has an EMG PA2 boost if I want more gain instantly.

Last edited:

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
My vote: try some EMG's. All you'd have to do is unplug your original pickup and put an EMG in. You wouldn't have to do anything with the rest of the electronics.

I've had Blackouts in 7 and 8 string guitars. The 7's were okay but I didn't like they for anything that wasn't high gain. The 8's were much better all around for clean to super heavy tones.

That said I've switched both guitars to EMG. The 7 string now has 707's and it's much more well rounded now. That guitar also has an EMG PA2 boost if I want more gain instantly.
That's a good suggestion. EMG 81 should be widely available on the used market, so could always be resold for the same as Donmak89 pays for it.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Hi guys,

so I'm really not satisfied with my SD Blackouts in my 7-string Agile Interceptor (mahagony body). I can't seem to be able to dial in a tone that I like. When using the same profiles (Kemper) I use with my 6-strings or my other 7-string, they all sound better IMO than this one, so I figured it's the PUs that need to be changed.

I'm a fan of mahagony body and a combination of Seymour Duncan SH-6 in the bridge and either SH-2/Sentient/Black Winter in the neck. I play a lot of (Modern) Metal, with influences from Sylosis, Gojira, Bleed from Within, AILD and others.

So now I'm debating whether to switch it out completely and use my known standards, or go with maybe the "new hype": Fishman Fluence Modern.

For me there's several factors I consider:
- Easyness of switching it out --> Is active to passive more work than active to a different active system?
- Price --> For some reason a Fishman Fluence Modern Set is cheaper than getting a SH-6 and a Sentient
- Needs to be a soapbar

Honestly I'm even debating if it makes sense to switch the PUs or just try to sell the Agile and get eg. a Cort KX507 that already has the right PUs instead. Simply because on the bottom line it would be the same costs, if I get roughly the same for the Agile as I bought it a couple of weeks ago.

TL;DR: OP is undecided which direction to go to create a sound he likes.
The only 7 string blackouts worth a damn are the Retributions imo. They're basically a better, cleaner 81-7x . They are tighter and have less of a honky midrange than the 81-7x.

Moderns are basically tweaked 81s as well on V1. They're tighter than an 81 but they're a lot more situational with the midrange honkiness.
Josh from Sylosis uses the Moderns and used to use the 81 before.

Going active to active is the easiest since you can basically hot swap Fishmans, Blackouts and EMGs with no real issue.

Swapping to passive would require new pots and maybe a ground wire. It's not terribly hard unless you want to have a variety of split tones.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@Dommak89 one thing to remember if you decide to try EMG: most of the soapbar pickups will drop right in to your guitar without any any changes.

The only ones not compatible with your current setup would be the TW/TWX models. Those have split coil capabilities and use different pots and the pickups have 5 pins instead of three like your Blackouts.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's a good suggestion. EMG 81 should be widely available on the used market, so could always be resold for the same as Donmak89 pays for it.
This is true. I actually got a great deal yesterday on two 81-7's and wiring for the price of what one typically sells for.

Another thing to consider with EMG is their outlet on Reverb. I'm not sure if they ship internationally, but it's worth checking out. I got an open box 85-7 (it didn't include any wiring, the box, etc) for $59 shipped. I paid a similar price for an 81-8XH last year as well.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
I haven't been a fan of EMG's (707, 81-7) with the same settings as my other guitars with hot passives. Too different without tweaking. Sounds like your experience too.

That being said, I got a new guitar with the 808X, and it is killer. Sounds like my passive equipped guitars. I assume the 707X would be pretty close. At any rate, I would suggest an X model if you're considering EMG's.

If you decide to go passive, you just have to add a bridge grounding wire if it doesn't have one, and swap the pots. Not too difficult really.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
This is true. I actually got a great deal yesterday on two 81-7's and wiring for the price of what one typically sells for.

Another thing to consider with EMG is their outlet on Reverb. I'm not sure if they ship internationally, but it's worth checking out. I got an open box 85-7 (it didn't include any wiring, the box, etc) for $59 shipped. I paid a similar price for an 81-8XH last year as well.
If this is what you mean, then it's currently showing as nothing being listed. Is there actually nothing listed or is it just hidden from me because they won't ship to the UK?

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Outside of the US, we also miss out on DiMarzio's free exchanges and Seymour Duncan (which apparently at least used to be cheaper than DiMarzio in the US???) seems to be priced quite a bit higher.

Conversely, I live a 2 hour drive from BKP, but it seems their prices are similar in the US.

Dommak89

Reaction score
Thanks guys. A lot of good suggestions. I have an aversion to EMGs for some reason that's not rational and only based on one guitar experience. But I'm considering this.

I've found a good deal on an SH-6 actually and a Sentient, so I may go that route, just because I know what I'm getting.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks guys. A lot of good suggestions. I have an aversion to EMGs for some reason that's not rational and only based on one guitar experience. But I'm considering this.

I've found a good deal on an SH-6 actually and a Sentient, so I may go that route, just because I know what I'm getting.
It may be a good time to learn to solder if you get the Seymour Duncans! There's tons of good info in YouTube, people here... Seymour Duncan has or had free courses going over soldering pickups as well.

Worst case, do you have any technicians or luthiers in your area if you needed help?

Dommak89

Reaction score
It may be a good time to learn to solder if you get the Seymour Duncans! There's tons of good info in YouTube, people here... Seymour Duncan has or had free courses going over soldering pickups as well.
True. I'll give it a try. My father in law is quite good with soldering and I have a technician close by that doesn't charge me much so I'm good on that end.

Just wanted to get the best bang for the buck or the path of least resistance.