Thinking of refinishing my RG752 - would appreciate some thoughts and opinions

• Thread starter Stiman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stiman

Reaction score
S series are awesome, if you find one, get it.

That is a cool guitar, shoot a lower value, you may be surprised...

I'd have to find out what it should reasonably go for. Seems way over priced, but to his credit, there are none for sale anywhere that I can find so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm in the "don't refinish it" camp. The limba top looks great on that one already.

I did refinish a guitar in purple/green chameleon though and it came out great. I used Duplicolor color change cans and the color was very easy to do. As always the clear coat makes or breaks the finished job, and I wouldn't recommend using anything other than a 2k poly on any kind of DIY refinish.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
There's this one here locally which I find looks awesome but I think the price is too high:
This is more the price I had in mind as I typed my earlier post:

1720116215710.png

neurosis

Reaction score
I would not refinish a guitar with a nice top. Just sell it and get a different Prestige. With patience there's always good ones to be had and there's also 7620s and 1527s coming up with a lot of finish damage often enough. Those would be IMO more suitable candidates for a refinish given they are already blemished. You would probably sell your guitar for more than one of those, too.

Doom Burst is one of my favorite Ibanez colors. I forget what the Green and Blue burst from that year is called. That was also great. But I haven't seen many and the S-series that I have run into were always higher price tag and not in good shape.

I say find a good 1527 and swirl that.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
I had around 4 guitars refinished and it's always a fun experience to get something a bit more unique, so I say go for it if you really enjoy the guitar overall feel.

Aside from that; that top seems pretty nice, don't have any refinish idea that could make use of that? if not, you can also keep the binding and refinish, IMO, RG's looks incredible in solid colors with a quality binding (think RG2027XL, Ibanez Universe or Misha's solid color Jackson's), I just think it would be a bit of a shame to cover some of the guitar characteristics with a full solid refinish

Stiman

Reaction score
I had around 4 guitars refinished and it's always a fun experience to get something a bit more unique, so I say go for it if you really enjoy the guitar overall feel.

Aside from that; that top seems pretty nice, don't have any refinish idea that could make use of that? if not, you can also keep the binding and refinish, IMO, RG's looks incredible in solid colors with a quality binding (think RG2027XL, Ibanez Universe or Misha's solid color Jackson's), I just think it would be a bit of a shame to cover some of the guitar characteristics with a full solid refinish

You make some really good points regarding the binding. I totally agree, there's a better path to refinishing this particular guitar than just a solid colour. As much as I would love it.

Ultimately, I've decided to just part with this one instead of going to refinish route. As cool as it could be, I'll focus on finding something that I find more appealing.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
As someone with the 6 string version of this, I couldn't fathom covering the black limba top, especially considering they aren't super common. (Not "rare" by any means, but not your run of the mill X52) I'd sell it or trade it for a cheaper Prestige that maybe has a fucked up body or something.

Stiman

Reaction score
As someone with the 6 string version of this, I couldn't fathom covering the black limba top, especially considering they aren't super common. (Not "rare" by any means, but not your run of the mill X52) I'd sell it or trade it for a cheaper Prestige that maybe has a fucked up body or something.

You're right. I've come to realize that although I don't love it, someone else could and so I have it up for sale.