Convinced Japan Gets The Best Stuff (Mij Schecter)

• Thread starter MaxAidingAres
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
Pics first:

IMG-2437.jpg

IMG-2438.jpg

IMG-2439.jpg

IMG-2440.jpg
IMG-2441.jpg

It's the Schecter AR-07 in Candy Apple Red

Been keeping an eye out for one for years. It's so quirky and out of place what not to love?

This is an older one probably from ~2011 or something.
the newer ones have a spoke wheel truss rod (this one is hidden in the neck pocket) and they have dots on the 24th (which i dont like)

This thing is so Vibey!

Pretty standard specs
Alder Body (maybe Basswood)
Maple neck
Rosewood fretboard

What I love about it is that it looks and feels like a vintage Fender
Its got a smaller nut width (~45mm)
Side dot markers where the fretboard meets the neck wood like on Vintage Fenders.

The neck is a little chunkier than your average 7 string (~21 mm 1st fret) but with the smaller nut width and the "rounder" 12" radius it feels super comfy
It's kind of like an ESP U 7 neck (think H-207), slightly more C

The fretwork is insanely good, Low action no buzz. currently strung 10-62 Drop Ab
Just polished the frets and damn it plays so good

The pickups are kind of weird and the selection is interesting

There are 3 switches (Neck on/off | Bridge on/off | Both tapped Parallel) what's weird is the tapped switch bypasses the other selections when On.

It is weird because there is an active circuit and or active pickups. They sound closer to humbuckers but in the tapped position it sounds "straty"

My goal was to swap the pickups and electronics out for a Jaguar-style setup. 2 single coils (stacked if I can find some) and 3 on/off switches with the rhythm circuit but honestly I am not sure. It sounds so good right now and I know I probably wouldn't even use the rhythm circuit. But we will see...

All in all this thing is super dope. The perfect blend of vintage aesthetics and modern appointments. TAKE NOTES FENDER

Super jelly that Japan has stuff like this. Keep in mind new this thing is like $1300 or less, Made in Japan.
We can't even get Korean-made stuff under $1500 anymore.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
The dream, HNGD!

I was on the lookout for one when in Tokyo last year, but only found the black and mirror guard one. Think I'm going to end up ordering a white one, now that they have maple fretboard options.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
Y
The dream, HNGD!

I was on the lookout for one when in Tokyo last year, but only found the black and mirror guard one. Think I'm going to end up ordering a white one, now that they have maple fretboard options.
Yeah the plan was to order one after my tax returns in either white or red with a rosewood fretboard. But this popped up at a good price and I couldn't help it (damn GAS).

White looks really good with the tortoise shell.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
That looks so cool. Especially in that color + natural headstock.

But now it’s heel time. Show us the back!

Sparky8691

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Such a unique design! I only found out about Schecter Japan recently. Not a huge amount of information about them in English...it seems that they are made in an ex-ESP factory? Most of the stock models seem to be pretty traditional, just Strat and Tele shape with the same pickups - that seem to be MIJ versions of one of Schecter's USA pickups. Interestingly they seem to have a custom shop, the little information I could find suggests these orders would be made in the ESP custom shop. They also seem to have a huge amount of artist signature models...more than their normal range! The Japanese seem to have a lot of respect for their signature artists and very willing to let them have their own models.

When I saw the AR-06 and AR-07 I thought they looked so cool. Offset guitars just look awesome. But usually they have quite traditional specs. I was tempted by the AR-07 and I did see two brand new black ones for sale - newer models with a silver metal pickguard, one had a maple fretboard and the other rosewood. I would've gone for rosewood but that listing was about £300 more. I almost made an offer but looking more closely I'm not so sure if I'd get on with the feel of the guitar. I love the vibe of a Jazzmaster style 7 string with single-coil sized active pickups but I do prefer sleek guitars with slim necks i.e. my Schecter Reaper-6. The pictures of the AR-07 seemed to show quite a chunky, traditional neck heel joint. I have an Ibanez AZ 7 string with a 20.5mm - 22.5mm neck and that feels on the bigger side for me, still comfortable to play but I prefer slimmer, and any thicker than that I don't think I would enjoy.

Still though, it would be handy to hear how thick the neck gets up to on the higher frets. If it's 21 - 22mm that would be OK and I would still be quite tempted.

Would also love to hear some demos of this being played to hear these unique pickups. Only found about 2 or 3 videos online of the AR-07 so far. From what I can tell about the pickups, they seem to be 'twin blade' which would suggest they are actually humbuckers? Which also explains there being a coil split option. Surprising to see custom pickups like this for one guitar model (I believe at least one of the artist signatures uses them too though). And active, single-coil sized blade pickups at that. I wonder who actually produces them, whether ESP/Schecter Japan make them from scratch, whether they make the active circuit themselves etc.

The latest versions seem to have a 3-way switch to go between bridge/both/neck and then 2 switches to turn the coil split on/off. The 3rd switch on the pickguard apparently activates a 'direct mode'. Would assume that's the bridge pickup only, bypassing volume and tone. Could be used as a kill switch if the volume is off in normal mode.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I have several Fender Japan models An Aerodyne Tele, Aerodyne HSS Strat, and a LE CuNiFe 60s Jazzmaster. All are absolutely perfect and incredible pricing.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
Such a unique design! I only found out about Schecter Japan recently. Not a huge amount of information about them in English...it seems that they are made in an ex-ESP factory? Most of the stock models seem to be pretty traditional, just Strat and Tele shape with the same pickups - that seem to be MIJ versions of one of Schecter's USA pickups. Interestingly they seem to have a custom shop, the little information I could find suggests these orders would be made in the ESP custom shop. They also seem to have a huge amount of artist signature models...more than their normal range! The Japanese seem to have a lot of respect for their signature artists and very willing to let them have their own models.

When I saw the AR-06 and AR-07 I thought they looked so cool. Offset guitars just look awesome. But usually they have quite traditional specs. I was tempted by the AR-07 and I did see two brand new black ones for sale - newer models with a silver metal pickguard, one had a maple fretboard and the other rosewood. I would've gone for rosewood but that listing was about £300 more. I almost made an offer but looking more closely I'm not so sure if I'd get on with the feel of the guitar. I love the vibe of a Jazzmaster style 7 string with single-coil sized active pickups but I do prefer sleek guitars with slim necks i.e. my Schecter Reaper-6. The pictures of the AR-07 seemed to show quite a chunky, traditional neck heel joint. I have an Ibanez AZ 7 string with a 20.5mm - 22.5mm neck and that feels on the bigger side for me, still comfortable to play but I prefer slimmer, and any thicker than that I don't think I would enjoy.

Still though, it would be handy to hear how thick the neck gets up to on the higher frets. If it's 21 - 22mm that would be OK and I would still be quite tempted.

Would also love to hear some demos of this being played to hear these unique pickups. Only found about 2 or 3 videos online of the AR-07 so far. From what I can tell about the pickups, they seem to be 'twin blade' which would suggest they are actually humbuckers? Which also explains there being a coil split option. Surprising to see custom pickups like this for one guitar model (I believe at least one of the artist signatures uses them too though). And active, single-coil sized blade pickups at that. I wonder who actually produces them, whether ESP/Schecter Japan make them from scratch, whether they make the active circuit themselves etc.

The latest versions seem to have a 3-way switch to go between bridge/both/neck and then 2 switches to turn the coil split on/off. The 3rd switch on the pickguard apparently activates a 'direct mode'. Would assume that's the bridge pickup only, bypassing volume and tone. Could be used as a kill switch if the volume is off in normal mode.
I dont have calipers so i cant check the neck thickness exactly. But its for sure sorta chunky. However with the slimed nut width 1 6/8 vs 1 7/8 (~45mm vs 48mm) it isn’t obnoxiously thick. Also it has medium jumbo frets which help not make the neck feel too thick. Its very comfy imo. I look at it as a different flavor as opposed to just being a shredder neck. (Definitely shreds though)

Sound wise its sick! Bridge pickup is tight and chunky sounding. Can do rock metal djent whatever you want. In between split sound is dope, a little ice picky if you don’t dial it in right on the amp. Nails the Polyphia spank sound. Neck pickup (at least on mine) is huge sounding, considerably louder than the bridge very full and big sounding but not too muddy somehow.

Theres a new model coming out thats HS instead of HS and it has gold HW…

THEY CANT KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS!!!!