Cool 8 string tuning?

• Thread starter pwilldabeast14
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pwilldabeast14

Reaction score
so some friends are trying to put a band together but no bassist, fortunately i have an agile 828! so i was wondering what would be a cool tuning to go with to get that bass range and also upper register, i was thinking mayb EADGDGBE?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I'm keen on FADGCFAD. That or something with a 2nd between 8th and 7th string so that, even if you're playing high up the neck, you can play close lines in the lower registers.

pwilldabeast14

Reaction score
nice options, i just thought having atleast a low E would be most helpful since my buds would be playing standard on 6 strings

DoktorAtomic

haters gonna hate
Reaction score
If you're not going to be doing a lot of soloing on the highs I'd say tune it to some kind of open chord or something you can generate ambiance or make weird sounds with

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
My main tuning at this point is EADGCFAD. That gives me normal guitar chords on the top six strings, although a whole step flat.

I play a lot of funk in this tuning, with basslines and funk chords, and it's just easier to know where the cords are. I don't have to relearn the instrument.

alfred

forever detuned
Reaction score
for me EBEADGBE. Killer tone with possibility of making great chords like
A -9-12-14
E -7-10-12
B -7-10-12
E -7-10-12

or if you prefer B-F#-B-F# | D-A-D-A | E-B-E-B

It's like standard guitar and standard bass play together. And you can play with standard 4 and 5-strings bass tuning in a band, which is truely important for me.

EADGCFAD and EBEBEGBE / EBEBEF#BE seems to be great too, for the same reasons...

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
My main tuning at this point is EADGCFAD. That gives me normal guitar chords on the top six strings, although a whole step flat.

I play a lot of funk in this tuning, with basslines and funk chords, and it's just easier to know where the cords are. I don't have to relearn the instrument.

^-- You're using that tuning on a 25.5 scale, yes? What gauges are you stringing with?

ErnieBall2837SlinkySilhouetteShortScale6StringBassStringsStandard.jpg

This set on the bottom 6, plus two plain steels at the top. It gives me the same tension as the strings I use on six-string....

gr8Har V

dimini....
Reaction score
F standard, Drop F, E standard, Drop E, i'd stay somewhere in there. open tunings scare me cuz it would pretty much be like re-learning the guitar.

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
F standard, Drop F, E standard, Drop E, i'd stay somewhere in there. open tunings scare me cuz it would pretty much be like re-learning the guitar.

wrong. open tunings are like having another instrument to work with. great stuff is possible with open tunings.
i utilize them greatly