Cool 8 string tuning?

• Thread starter pwilldabeast14
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pwilldabeast14

Reaction score
okay so i have a few options:
EAEADGBE got the low end to emulate bass and also normal high end
EBEADGBE less useful for bass but working with drop tuning is cool
EBEBEF#BE just awesome drop tuning looks fun, but id have to adapt the wierd tuning for soloing and chords etc
EADGCFAD great bc same strings of bass, but also would hve to adapt to whole step down

Dayn

Reaction score
guys, do you think that tuning EADGCFAD will be posible on 25,5" scale?
ErnieBall2837SlinkySilhouetteShortScale6StringBassStringsStandard.jpg

This set on the bottom 6, plus two plain steels at the top. It gives me the same tension as the strings I use on six-string....
I'd be inclined to say yes, though I've never tried it.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
The only reference to that tuning I found here on SS.org was from Inception7, found here.

I tried drop E, (EADGDGBE) on my Schecter and it was ok when using touchtyle but not great with a pick. That's on a .74

That's not really what is referred to as Drop E incidentally, at least in my understanding. That is a drop-D tuning for six string, with a low A and E added beyond that.

Normally people go for either regular intervals, or for particular notes they want on the open notes. However, I don't know if they use altered guitar tunings, changing the regular intervals of the six upper strings, while retaining a regular pattern at the bottom.

----

Just because no one has tried it, though, doesn't mean it won't serve your needs. If you can think of advantages to that tuning for what you want to accomplish, why not? My two main tunings aren't the norm, and I can't imagine doing anything differently at this point.

Dayn

Reaction score
oh also has anyone tried a EADADGBE?
I call it drop DAE. I've only tried it a half-step down so I could play both SikTh albums plus Meshuggah's 'Nebulous', but I didn't find much use for the dropped D at the time. I prefer drop AE. It makes fingering octaves on those strings easy, and you can use the bottom two strings as a bass. Put 'em together and you can easily fret an octave bass line if you wish. :yesway:

pwilldabeast14

Reaction score
I call it drop DAE. I've only tried it a half-step down so I could play both SikTh albums plus Meshuggah's 'Nebulous', but I didn't find much use for the dropped D at the time. I prefer drop AE. It makes fingering octaves on those strings easy, and you can use the bottom two strings as a bass. Put 'em together and you can easily fret an octave bass line if you wish. :yesway:

ohh true, yea ido kinda prefer drop tunings as well, i also thought of one new one thats similar to the danza tuning: EAEAEF#BE cool?

Sponge

Carpe Diem
Reaction score
DGDGDGBE

You get a wall of sound and can pull off 3 octaves on one fret. That EBEBEF#BE tuning looks great too!

pwilldabeast14

Reaction score
DGDGDGBE

You get a wall of sound and can pull off 3 octaves on one fret. That EBEBEF#BE tuning looks great too!

awesomee yea id do something like that but idont think my agile could hold a string for the D? i really wana do the danza tuning but id have to relearn strings

77zark77

Reaction score
after a few testing, my best tuning is EB+normal tuning(EADGBE)

depends on what you are playing
but that tuning is cool for soloing and power chords on the 3 low strings and the DGB ones

demigod

Reaction score
This has been mentioned but the drop E is the most practical of the tunings, and mostly retains the 5 semitones between each string. except of course hi B and low E

Eddie Loves You

Reaction score
oh also has anyone tried a EADADGBE?

This one. I started using this because of my Wes Lambe guitar/bass hybrid. You can think of the low EAD as the first 3 bass strings and ADGBE as the 5 highest guitar strings. Or as a 6 string in drop D with normal 4ths below it.