Cool interview with Devin, Tosin and Petrucci

• Thread starter Kwert
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I read some comments form this video on gearz and it honestly makes them sound like idiots. Talking about randomness and shit in their tube tonez.

Stiman

Reaction score
I enjoyed the interview. Devin did seem a little out of place but that's only because it was only focused on guitar. He's obviously a hugely successful songwriter, singer and guitar player. So I don't mean this in a bad way whatsoever.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I enjoyed the interview. Devin did seem a little out of place but that's only because it was only focused on guitar. He's obviously a hugely successful songwriter, singer and guitar player. So I don't mean this in a bad way whatsoever.
Devin is a virtuoso that hates being virtuoso so that makes sense lol. He seems more into the soundscapes than he is the intricacies of guitar technique even though he's well versed in it.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn, this is way cooler than I thought it would be (15 mins. in). Thanks for the tip!

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
He seems to get a bad rap around here from what I’ve seen

The normal reaction to having anything forced down your throat. You can't watch a guitar video and then visit youtube anytime for the next five years without getting more beato videos recommended to you. And then even worse when you start to get the 2nd tier beatos recommended to you.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth, I attended the Dreamsonic show last night, which was terrific. My favorite was Devin's set; I believe the rest of the audience would agree — the girls were dancing, shaking hips to Devin's metal riffs!

Devin displayed his usual awkwardness in this interview, but he was gracious. As mentioned, he is more of a songwriter, although he can hold his ground on lead guitar. I enjoy his music due to how he projects his voice — he could be the end-of-times troubadour.

DT, Animals, Devin ... they cover different corners of our shared humanity :)

Werecow

Reaction score
Dude's amazing when it comes to breaking down music and theory, but is absolutely grating when it comes to his old-man-yells-at-cloud shit-was-better-back-in-my-day opinions.
I used to watch his more educational or chilled stuff, but the whole "this is the best song from that year" or "this is ......'s best song" thing he does really annoys me. I can't work out if people like that think music is entirely objective, or if they feel so superior that they think their personal taste is fact. I've always rolled my eyes at people doing that, it's such weird behaviour.

sailsaway

Chronic Lurker
Reaction score
I used to watch his more educational or chilled stuff, but the whole "this is the best song from that year" or "this is ......'s best song" thing he does really annoys me. I can't work out if people like that think music is entirely objective, or if they feel so superior that they think their personal taste is fact. I've always rolled my eyes at people doing that, it's such weird behaviour.
Man's gotta make his money somehow though. It's just a format that simple enough to attract the casuals, I doubt he truly believes that the songs he chooses are the "best songs ever" of that year.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Devin sounds like a wizard talking to mathematicians, lol. Listening to Petrucci explain the difference between amps and digital was hilariously silly.

Rob Joyner

Reaction score
When he started doing that "see? this music would be way better with a guitar". I bailed immediately. Like, says who?

JediMasterThrash

Reaction score
The air/randomness argument is so dumb. You can take a modelling amp and still run it through a tube poweramp and speaker cabinet. And you can take an IR modeller and run it through a FRFR poweramp and speaker. Nothing about modelling inherently prevents feeling the speaker push air randomly.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
The air/randomness argument is so dumb. You can take a modelling amp and still run it through a tube poweramp and speaker cabinet. And you can take an IR modeller and run it through a FRFR poweramp and speaker. Nothing about modelling inherently prevents feeling the speaker push air randomly.
For whatever reason it's really hard for guitarists to say "I'm comfortable here so I'm going to stick with this." There always needs to be some intangible justification for it.