Corey Beaulieu getting signature Seymour Duncan Blackouts

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
If you want to sound like Trivium you can

a) use JB/81 and sound like Trivium

or

b) use the Matt Heafy/Corey Beleioiauoue signature and not sound like Trivium - but for more money

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
i can already hear the honk. Although not as bad as Heafy's. That one is cocked wah city. The new album was an unbearable listen because of that.
They're both using EQ pedals into boosts into mid-heavy EVH amps which already have a filtered-to-hell input. There's cutting through the mix, then there's maiming the mix into a midrange-heavy mess which Trivium excells at nowadays

...I still wanna hear these properly and see how they're different from the EMTYs tho. To me the fixes they did to these sound exactly like what they did to the EMTYs lol

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
This is what I thought after reading the announcement email too. I really feel like the world does not need more blackouts but that is just me I guess.
To be fair, they lost Mick to Fishman, so I guess it makes sense to get another artist to push the Blackouts.

Also I thought SD was just gonna rebadge the EMTYs into a non-sig pickup like they did the Lynch pickups when he left Duncan... But nah they just discontinued it. So I guess these are gonna replace the EMTYs.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
To be fair, they lost Mick to Fishman, so I guess it makes sense to get another artist to push the Blackouts.

Also I thought SD was just gonna rebadge the EMTYs into a non-sig pickup like they did the Lynch pickups when he left Duncan... But nah they just discontinued it. So I guess these are gonna replace the EMTYs.

The "loss" of MT Blackouts is not the word I'd use to describe, they were like Old Yeller at the end and needed to be put out anyways; things were hot as shit and compressed to fuck, pretty much unusable in my opinion unless you're the cleanest player known to man.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The "loss" of MT Blackouts is not the word I'd use to describe, they were like Old Yeller at the end and needed to be put out anyways; things were hot as shit and compressed to fuck, pretty much unusable in my opinion unless you're the cleanest player known to man.
That just describes the Blackouts in general tbh. Though with the mid boost from the EMTYs I can see why they seem louder lol

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Seymour Duncan would have made more money if they did a release of the Blackouts Machete in 6, 7, and 8 string format. It's way better than the Retributions and i think more people would pay for those than a Damocles (which doesn't even have a different look to the vanilla blackouts).

The Machetes are open coil BOs that took after the dead Duality set.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Seymour Duncan would have made more money if they did a release of the Blackouts Machete in 6, 7, and 8 string format. It's way better than the Retributions and i think more people would pay for those than a Damocles (which doesn't even have a different look to the vanilla blackouts).

The Machetes are open coil BOs that took after the dead Duality set.
From what Dino described they're the Retribution preamp with the Duality coils. Also FWIW Duncan still seems to make the Duality. Which is weird because I've never ever seen them around lol

EDIT: Also the guy that sells the "24 Volt Mod" on eBay seems to really like the Dualitys

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
That just describes the Blackouts in general tbh. Though with the mid boost from the EMTYs I can see why they seem louder lol

I like the ones in my ATX, they're a little ... squishier (for lack of better term) than EMGs in my opinion, but they're definitely hot and I SHOULD make presets for them compared to my passive guitars; but I ain't got the time for that noise.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Since were talking about them; I just got the EMTY neck pickup in a trade and man, I really like the neck pickup more than I remember liking the bridge pickup. :lol:

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
things were hot as shit and compressed to fuck, pretty much unusable in my opinion unless you're the cleanest player known to man.
This is what I've known the Blackouts to be. I've never tried them myself mind you, but boy have I heard about their reputation...

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
This is what I've known the Blackouts to be. I've never tried them myself mind you, but boy have I heard about their reputation...

They're hotter than EMGs for sure, but they're not as unusable or "sterile" as people claim them to be, in my opinion, EMGs are more active sounding than Blackouts; but somehow the MTs took the worst aspect of both and combined them into something entirely unwieldy.

If people have a patch that's expecting an EMG EQ, like anything else it's going to need a little bit of tweaking because they're not 1:1, or else why would you even swap them out?

BabUShka

Reaction score
They're hotter than EMGs for sure, but they're not as unusable or "sterile" as people claim them to be, in my opinion, EMGs are more active sounding than Blackouts; but somehow the MTs took the worst aspect of both and combined them into something entirely unwieldy.

If people have a patch that's expecting an EMG EQ, like anything else it's going to need a little bit of tweaking because they're not 1:1, or else why would you even swap them out?

They used to market the Blackouts as "organic sounding actives" many years ago. When I ordered my ATX I was stoked to try them. I didnt like them from day one. Good thing they use same electronics as EMG, easy to quick swap and essy to resell.

When I got my Ran Crusher 15 yers later, loaded with Blackouts I got the same instant flashback. Theybhave some brutal high gain, but its just too much of the good stuff imo. They use same 3 pin connection as EMG, so I traded them away pretty quick for the ATX. For the Crusher, I recently sold my set pretty quick, they're obviosly popular.

But yes, they do sound warmer and less sterile.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
IMHO The Blackouts are waaay better at low/mid gain tones than EMG. Backing off the volume makes for great passive-like tones. Problem is nobody buys actives for those sounds.

EMGs in general (specially classic models) are a lot "stiffer" sounding and feeling, which makes them kinda suck for low gain stuff, but way better than the Blackouts at everything else.

(Speaking from the perspective of being a passive pickup fan, and having to deal with stock actives in most guitars I've had).

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score

Talks about it here.

Based on the core Blackouts tone, but also added the EQ curve of the 6-band EQ he used in front of the amp. I'm guessing there's a mid bump + low end scoop by what he described.

Seems interesting. Seymour Duncan said on YouTube that they may be releasing something that "scratches the itch" of the EMTY pickups (which they no longer offer as Mick left SD).

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Duncan updated the site and now it looks like they're the usual ceramic bridge and alnico neck. When they first posted them online it said A5 for both so that confused me

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Man, looks like I'm the only one here that likes the AHB1. :nuts::lol:

I came from 81s, HetSets, Fluence, and the Blackout is the exact opposite of an EMG 81. They kinda sound like Invaders, too. Which is cool.