Covid 19/Coronavirus

• Thread starter Ralyks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I took a screenshot, made a contact called 5G, and used the screenshot as the contact's photo. That's a little easier for me, and if they don't accept the screenshot for fear that it was faked, then I can go the extra mile and open up the Google Pay app where it's saved, but that hasn't come up (granted, I've only ever used it to get free Krispy Kream doughnuts twice).
I just saved it as a favorite image, which since that's a feature I really don't use, takes me a matter of seconds to pull it up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
I took a screenshot, made a contact called 5G, and used the screenshot as the contact's photo. That's a little easier for me, and if they don't accept the screenshot for fear that it was faked, then I can go the extra mile and open up the Google Pay app where it's saved, but that hasn't come up (granted, I've only ever used it to get free Krispy Kream doughnuts twice).
I mean, it would alphabetize conveniently...
I just saved it as a favorite image, which since that's a feature I really don't use, takes me a matter of seconds to pull it up.
I'll just save my QR code as the screensaver, no need to pull it up

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Taken county by county, and breaking it up by the % of the 2020 vote Trump got, increasing from left to right in 10% increments, the bars represent deaths per every 100,000 average in those counties, in the last 2 months or so.

FB_IMG_1631919236135.jpg

spudmunkey

Reaction score

I'm on board with most of his messaging.

A minor point: at the beginning, he says companies won't do the testing, because that costs money....but some companies are instead currently charging non-vaccinated employees more for their health insurance. Rapid tests in many other countries cost $1-3 per test, even free for businesses. But in the US we're at, like, $10-15. But that's still just a one-time cost per week per person, which I don't think is really a deal-breaker. If someone's putting in 40 hours, that's like giving them a $.375/hr raise.

From an NBC article:
"In Germany, grocery stores sell rapid tests for under $1 apiece. In India, they're about $3.50. The U.K. provides 14 tests per person free of charge. Canada is doling out free rapid tests to businesses."

mbardu

Reaction score
I'm on board with most of his messaging.

A minor point: at the beginning, he says companies won't do the testing, because that costs money....but some companies are instead currently charging non-vaccinated employees more for their health insurance. Rapid tests in many other countries cost $1-3 per test, even free for businesses. But in the US we're at, like, $10-15. But that's still just a one-time cost per week per person, which I don't think is really a deal-breaker. If someone's putting in 40 hours, that's like giving them a $.375/hr raise.

From an NBC article:
"In Germany, grocery stores sell rapid tests for under $1 apiece. In India, they're about $3.50. The U.K. provides 14 tests per person free of charge. Canada is doling out free rapid tests to businesses."

He has some good points, but why end with the suggestion that vaccinated people should just forget about any precaution such as distancing or masks and do as they please?
That's part of the problem at the moment. Why the neverending problem with masks even from people with an otherwise reasonable messaging?

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
this seems pretty spot on. Dems bungling something on accident is pretty standard operating procedure.
I guess we could say the Dems have had some missteps in how to go about solving a problem that was created from the ground up by Republicans. The whole anti-science, anti-mask, anti-vax movement is perpetuated by Republican politicians, conservative news outlets, and conservative funded online misinformation campaigns.

And what exactly have Republicans done to correct this problem that they've caused? More anti-mask bullshit. If "Dems bungling something on accident is pretty standard operating procedure", then what is Republican SOP? Sabotaging the health and safety of Americans? Doing everything they can to maximize death and suffering?

I'm not saying dems are beyond reproach. I'm just saying lets all keep track of whose bungle this really is.

And what alternate universe is this guy living in where he things that Republicans would cooperate with democrats on anything let a lone town hall style meetings about health and safety?

I'm not directing any of this at you Tacos; these are all rhetorical questions.

Last edited:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
So, about that Ivermectin decision, where someone sued a hospital because their partner was in the ICU, after a different, unaffiliated doctor prescribed it, and won...

this has happened enough since that it's tough to figure out, looking back at it, which was the original case. In at least one instance a lower ruling was overturned on appeal and the courts sided with the hospital, but I'm mostly posting because this happened locally, at the hospital my fiancee works at.

Mostly sharing to highlight the stupidity - she was out of the office when it happened and saw a whole bunch of fairly cryptic internal emails referring to security measures "in light of recent events," but when she came back into work, she was told a woman had sued to be prescribed ivermectin, lost, and protesters had been camped out outside the hospital ever since, threatening doctors and nurses as they were driving in.

"Health care heroes" 18 months ago, to threats of violence today. Thanks, Fox News!

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I guess we could say the Dems have had some missteps in how to go about solving a problem that was created from the ground up by Republicans. The whole anti-science, anti-mask, anti-vax movement is perpetuated by Republican politicians, conservative news outlets, and conservative funded online misinformation campaigns.

And what exactly have Republicans done to correct this problem that they've caused? More anti-mask bullshit. If "Dems bungling something on accident is pretty standard operating procedure", then what is Republican SOP? Sabotaging the health and safety of Americans? Doing everything they can to maximize death and suffering?

I'm not saying dems are beyond reproach. I'm just saying lets all keep track of whose bungle this really is.

And what alternate universe is this guy living in where he things that Republicans would cooperate with democrats on anything let a lone town hall style meetings about health and safety?

the republicans and the crazy right are super effective at getting things done. getting shit done is their sop.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score

Anti-vax rhetoric predates the Republican party. Prior to the widespread understanding of germ theory, vaccines probably sounded like black magic to many folks - "if I poke you with this needle, you won't die of smallpox" sounded screwey, but, to be fair, people of the time thought that washing your hands was also an insane thing to do. :shrug:

The republicans of the Nixon-era probably wouldn't have batted an eye at the government strapping people down and administering vaccines without consent. This latest round of anti-vax is mostly "because Trump."

I've asked Republicans before "What could Biden do that would improve your opinion of his presidency," and the answers are either based on past actions "well, he shouldn't have done..." or were that they'd never ever accept him. Probably unsurprising, but I observed the same sorts of answers about Trump four years ago from democrats.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58628491

OK folks, pitch me some holiday destinations! My interests include guitar shopping, basketball and not being shot for wearing a mask.

NYC? They have a basketball team and plenty of guitar stores. There are also some pretty strict gun control laws (not that people there won't shoot you, but at least they have to pass some sort of bar of minimum effort to do so, as opposed to most elsewhere in the USA).

So, about that Ivermectin decision, where someone sued a hospital because their partner was in the ICU, after a different, unaffiliated doctor prescribed it, and won...

this has happened enough since that it's tough to figure out, looking back at it, which was the original case. In at least one instance a lower ruling was overturned on appeal and the courts sided with the hospital, but I'm mostly posting because this happened locally, at the hospital my fiancee works at.

Mostly sharing to highlight the stupidity - she was out of the office when it happened and saw a whole bunch of fairly cryptic internal emails referring to security measures "in light of recent events," but when she came back into work, she was told a woman had sued to be prescribed ivermectin, lost, and protesters had been camped out outside the hospital ever since, threatening doctors and nurses as they were driving in.

"Health care heroes" 18 months ago, to threats of violence today. Thanks, Fox News!

Protesters used to stalk the hospitals trying to prove covid was a hoax. The anti-science sentiments are coming to a head with this nutty business.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Anti-vax rhetoric predates the Republican party. Prior to the widespread understanding of germ theory, vaccines probably sounded like black magic to many folks - "if I poke you with this needle, you won't die of smallpox" sounded screwey, but, to be fair, people of the time thought that washing your hands was also an insane thing to do. :shrug:
...though I think there's definitely an element of symbiosis here, with Trump-aligned republicans seizing on the existing anti-vax movement for ammo against "leftist" attempts to get the public vaccinated, and the anti-vax movement seeing this as a golden opportunity to go mainstream. It's been a mutually beneficial alliance, if you ignore, well, charts like @spudmunkey posted. :lol:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
A study out yesterday says that Ivermectin works as a prophylactic. However, if you look at the sources of the metadata, you might notice that there is a huge amount of variance in randomized control trials, which seems fishy to me, as it indicates that there is another variable with strong effect, aside from the variable tested. So, maybe Ivermectin could be used in early treatment, but it's obvious that there is still a lot we don't understand about SARS-CoV-2.

Did anybody hear about this big youtube sweep to get covid-related videos off of the platform? I'm sure that'll keep the conspiracy people from going crazy. :lol: