COW jackson!

• Thread starter Adrian89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian89

Reaction score
I need heeeeeeeeeelp! someone is offering me 2 guitars:

Jackson COW 7 strings in BLACK
Ltd viper 407 Black

they sell for 400 each one... and I need a fucking 7 strings now, but I cant choose between those monsters :S

I need feedback from the 7 strings kingdom!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Thy're both good guitars. Both are made of mahogany and have an ebony board, the COW is lighter and the Viper suffers from neck-dive AFIK. The neck on the COW should be thinner as well, but the Viper has better hardware and two pickups. I think it just narrow's to if you like more one shape or the other, and if you need a neck pickup or not (which you coul route in the future if you want it).

Also, the COW is stupidly overpriced these days, so I'd say is a very good deal.

mat091285

Reaction score
I saw get both! a new COW or new Viper is over 400 USDs ... new COW can go to 1XXX USDs and a Viper is around 800 to 900 USDs.

What a deal you have there mate!

Adrian89

Reaction score
how can I get rid of neck diving issues from Viper???

the COW is retardedly expensive here (1450 euros)
the viper's about 980

ah! both of them are sold with case from my friend :D

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
The COW7 easy. Better fretwork, ebony board, no neck dive, awesome neck profile, and it looks extremely badass:metal:. I don't know what the hardware is on the Viper but the TOM on my COW works fine and non of the finish has faded off and I'm like the 3rd owner.

Plus you could always turn around and make a decent profit off of it if you buy it for $400 :lol:

Adrian89

Reaction score
the COW is seriously tempting me.... but im a bit aware about the sound/ versatility, which looks like NO ONE :(

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
the COW is seriously tempting me.... but im a bit aware about the sound/ versatility, which looks like NO ONE :(

Because of the neck pickup the Viper is going to be more versatile but I personally feel the COW is a better playing guitar. If the guys is a friend of your's just sit down with both of them and see which one you prefer playing. You could always add a neck pickup to the COW later on if you get tired of not having on :cool:

Adrian89

Reaction score
the guy's living on the BASQUE COUNTRY, 500km away from madrid, but I have tried a COW.. a red one with a 1450€ price tag, and all I said was..... this guitar is sightly overpriced, but for 400 looks like the best bet, but I want to know HOW versatile is that 707. I only play mastodon's like tones and a little harder, so no real cleans ( always overdrived) and no BRUTAL DEATH gain, Im playing tru a JCM 900 SL-X with EL34 so you can imagine my tone

avenger

Reaction score
I sold my my within 2 weeks of getting it. I hated only having one pickup and the headstock drove me insane.

The neck was okay, no Ibanez, but def playable.

I woulds just buy the COW and use it to trade/sell for any other guitar you want pretty much.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I used to play some old Mastodon on my COW and thought it was great. The 707 was decent enough for that but it sounded better with a Blackout in it. It is definitely a much better playing guitar than the Viper.. lighter, better balanced, puts your picking hand in a better position, more comfortable. Skinnier neck, better fretwork, Jackson's 7 string radius is absolutely perfect. Better access to the high frets.

You can still play cleans and leads on them if you use different picking techniques but it never sounds quite the same as a neck pickup would

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
the one guy is rating it as 1 out of 10 because it has a factory setup. Then the other guy doesn't like how incredibly light it is. Then the other guy bought it used and didn't like it.

Don't use harmony central as advice on what to buy or not to buy.

Adrian89

Reaction score
wow im confused, fuck bad reviewers!!! :( and Youtube videos are pretty cheap or bad,,, anyone with any of those guitars here? :( or just any advice

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I've owned three COWs. They all kicked ass but I eventually sold them all because of the lacking versatility. In terms of playability though, hands down the best playing 7 string you can get for less than a grand, new or used. The price for a brand new one is far, far too high. If you can get a used one for 400, I would be all over that if I were you because there is nothing for even twice the price that would play better.

I_infect

Reaction score
I bought a cow 7 new. I received it with the neck bolts stripped from the neck, and the neck hanging by the strings, in its case. Got it replaced for free of course, but after I saw that, I just don't trust them. I play it now and think if I play it a certain way the neck is going to pop loose...

I owned a viper, and dug it alot. The neck was your standard ESP... thinner than Schecter, but not Ibanez thin. If I had to choose, I'd take the viper. You can eliminate most of the neck dive by moving the strap button to the tip of the horn. I did that and it was fine.

Bones43x

Reaction score
The SG/Viper neck dive has never bothered me. I've had my SG for over 10 years, and I really don't even notice it.