Custom fanned fret 6 string baritone

• Thread starter nathanjue
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nathanjue

Reaction score
So I'm looking to get my first custom guitar, and I'm planning on having it tuned to AGCFAD, and I'm thinking I want to get a fanned fret so I can keep tension on the low a, and not break the higher strings every time I go to bend. I'm currently playing that tuning on a 25.5 inch scale length with a .74 on the low A and it feels like shit, so I know I need a longer neck, but I was wondering if anybody has any good recommendations for a good custom guitar maker that could do this for me? Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Murch

Reaction score
I don't think you'll need a fanned fret, just a longer scale length. The higher strings breaking shouldn't be a problem, since I have an 8 in standard at 26.5 with 11s and almost never break them. I'd try calculating out the string tension first, since you shouldn't need that thick of a string for that note, and if the tension isn't the problem, you should be able to get away with a straight scale at a longer scale length

Xardoniak

Reaction score
Theres Oni Guitars and (I believe) Etherial in Australia but I dont know much about pricing and I havent seen much of Oni's work and Etherial have been very on/off with their build quality but only aesthetics wise.

You could check out Skervesen aswell, they have some really nice and aggressive body shapes and their guitars come with BKPs but naturally their a decent bit of Dosh (I dont know what most custom companies sell their guitars for so they could be cheap for all I know, although I wouldn't call them "cheap") but from what I've seen, they're really damn good.

Look them up on Facebook and have a look, I'm sure you'd beable to get a quote from them.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
From what I've gathered, Oni is fairly expensive. Skervesen would be a good choice, though you're looking at around $2500+ USD.

F4R537KTP09

Antithetic machinery
Reaction score
Fan fretted seems like a good idea, but why not have a try at one of the 27" available baritones on the market? That would be much less expensive, and you'll just have to get a little thinner strings. You won't have any breaking problems with the high strings as well...
Still if you really do feel like a fanned fret would be a better choice, well... Be ready to spend some more bucks...

Amanita

Reaction score
So I'm looking to get my first custom guitar, and I'm planning on having it tuned to AGCFAD, and I'm thinking I want to get a fanned fret so I can keep tension on the low a, and not break the higher strings every time I go to bend. I'm currently playing that tuning on a 25.5 inch scale length with a .74 on the low A and it feels like shit, so I know I need a longer neck, but I was wondering if anybody has any good recommendations for a good custom guitar maker that could do this for me? Thanks!
so this is like 7string tuning taken a full tone down and with D string removed? i guess you use some standard set, say 11-48 and then replace the last string with .074, innit?
if so, then please consider something thinner like .068, .074 tuned to A on standard scale sounds way too much like a bass guitar IMO.
tweaking your string set if you play non standard tuning is something that can take you a long way before you shell out money on a custom guitar ;)

edit: actually there is a simple test you could perform - tune the .074 string down to G, F#, F. does the sound improve in your opinion? if so then use tension calc to determine what tension you need and shop around :)

nathanjue

Reaction score
I didn't think of a straight scale, as I've never tried a 27 inch...I think I may see if a straight scale will work for me, because if so, I may just pick up a mayones baritone, would be much cheaper than a custom. What guage strings should I use for the top 5 for a 27 inch neck? I use 12-16-24-32-44 for the top 5 on a 25.5 right now and the tension's perfect.

Amanita

Reaction score
well, if you find .044 string perfect for G then you'd need something around .080 or more to get satisfying tension for A. IMO both are a bit of an overkill tho', as much as i like sound of thick, tense strings on cleans, thinner strings tend to work better with heavy distortion... to my chagrin actually ;)
and yes strings in .074 and more range intonate and sound way better with extended scale. but the same factors that help thick strings on a baritone scale can make treble strings sound piercing. in which case a bit of multiscale could be of help indeed :)

WaffleTheEpic

Banned
Reaction score
People never mention that there's Black Water Guitars in the US that make stuff like this all the time... Haha.
Remember that huge fanned Telecaster that's tuned to F standard?

Their price range is about 2000-3000 as well. Just depends on woods and options.

zachyl

Reaction score
I have a 27 inch agile baritone and even thought I have some pretty thick strings on it, it was easily able to handle the high D. True the string tension would be more balanced if you went with a fanned fret, it would still be fine. The fanned fret would just be an expensive fix to something that really is not a problem for your tuning.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
People never mention that there's Black Water Guitars in the US that make stuff like this all the time... Haha.
Remember that huge fanned Telecaster that's tuned to F standard?

F-E in fifths :shred:. Playing a fanned fret isn't any harder except on large stretches, but the fan on my guitar is damn extreme.

Purelojik

Reaction score
Just built a 26 scale and tuned it to F# and it held tuning almost perfectly even with a 52 on the low end.

these guys are right too. fanned isnt really necessary. a longer scale length will be the biggest factor. the high strings will sound fine. This whole "shrill" sounding high strings isnt what everyone makes them out to be. Sure they wont sound sweet like a 24.75 les paul but i'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a 25.5 and my 27.5 scale 7 as far as high strings go.

Aaron at Blackwater's a really cool guy. And hes on Luthier talk and here in the dealer sections and people have nothing but good things to say of him and his work.

-Alex

Latest posts