Customizing a current guitar vs custom ordering

• Thread starter Crungy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Have you done the following...

• Customized your current guitar

Votes: 34 89.5%
  • Custom ordered a body

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Custom ordered an entire guitar

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's an example of how sometimes a subtle detail can make all the difference:

Before:

16003037-399469450405714-9111317564599724314-n.jpg

After:
- Elysian Trident IIs w/ quilted maple bobbins (to match the bevel)
- Hipshot satin black knobs and tuners (to match the bridge)
- Switchcraft 3-way toggle

B7-Elysian-4-copia.jpg

@CanserDYI Do it.

Last edited:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have both. I'm not above changing out parts, or getting finish work done, or whatever else on an already existing production guitar.

349156378_228183933262143_1860439138557532262_n.jpg

However, I've also had custom guitars built just for me from the ground up with things that I wanted. Even if it's not another strat/tele, or an amoeba, or whatever other pathogen some luthiers want to emulate these days in their creations, there's more than enough under-the-hood type material in what I've had that wouldn't make sense to either wait for a production model to finally come around, or to compromise and settle for less with a semi-custom brand's offering that I wouldn't be fully happy with since they're neither able nor willing to actually get me what I asked for.

354244819_10230144941230446_9004876937119294495_n.jpg

Such builders will take time and effort to seek out in finding who will accommodate without coming up short if not being on a completely different page over a client's preference in design, aesthetics, functionality, etc- so yes, there is still a niche for that. And despite a few bad apples in the bunch who have been deservedly ripped apart in the past for one reason or another, if not more, there's still some decent folks who can take it a step past whatever the aforementioned could or would offer in their builds. Regardless of how weird said aforementioned + their more outspoken fanbois opt to react, in turn.
And @CanserDYI

I think the time in waiting for a custom and cost is enough of a deterrent for me. Plus, I'm more than happy with regular production instrument quality: My RG7321 gets just as much play time as my nicer 7's, it plays and sounds just as good and my butthole doesn't clench if I ding it up.

@NickK-UK I think I could handle doing the work myself as well as pickup installs or other bolt on mods. I'm not too interested at the moment in routing pickups, finishes or actually building an entire instrument. I do respect the hell out of anyone that can do that stuff! I'm happy to Frankenstein something together with off the shelf parts/husks, that's worked out decently. I've been wanting to ask my brother in law to paint a body for me as well... He's painted cars for many years and I think he's done a guitar or two. I'd trust him to do a good job with a finish.

@Captain Shoggoth that Explorer is fucking sweet, holy shit! Is it Gibson scale or longer?

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score

I gigged with one for a year or so. It was ok. Neck specs weren't really the best fit for me personally. It worked well, though. I only sold it because the finish definitely didn't wear evenly at all, and the back of the neck was about 90% of the way to absolute gloss in practically no time. IIRC I sold it to some guy who did studio guitar work with Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza. He said he was going to mod it, slim and carve the body a bit or something, but I never saw it again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I gigged with one for a year or so. It was ok. Neck specs weren't really the best fit for me personally. It worked well, though. I only sold it because the finish definitely didn't wear evenly at all, and the back of the neck was about 90% of the way to absolute gloss in practically no time. IIRC I sold it to some guy who did studio guitar work with Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza. He said he was going to mod it, slim and carve the body a bit or something, but I never saw it again.
That's pretty sweet it had a story that continued on!

That was definitely one thing that might keep me from buying of them. Matte black finishes are ass.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
@Captain Shoggoth that Explorer is fucking sweet, holy shit! Is it Gibson scale or longer?

Thanks dude! It's 25.5! The body is kinda stubby and designed for a 24.75" 22 fret neck so all together the proportions look a bit off, but as a spec combo it's awesome. Super resonant too. I am still stoked on it every time I see it, genuinely cured my Explorer GAS for life.

I wish the frets were bigger than med jumbo but that's fixable down the line anyway. Given as it has 0 resale value I might even scallop the board eventually.

Reaction score
Perhaps 'blasphemous' was too strong a term, since they're only specifically nuanced to my tastes. Still, there's always the option of listening to those guitars instead...
Thanks for suggesting that link. I was seeing it int the New threads list, but somehow kept on missing it. After watching the video I went the rabbit hole of checking out your 2016 (?) album and it's right up my alley. Nice work!

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
I think the time in waiting for a custom and cost is enough of a deterrent for me. Plus, I'm more than happy with regular production instrument quality

It's not for everyone, not going to deny that. Mixed feelings about some more recent/regular production instrument qualities aside, there's always going to be a niche for getting something that's already there and making that work. I've previously mentioned a few of the ones I've owned in that category, and I don't plan on flipping them anytime soon. Or ever, for that matter.
On the other end of the spectrum regarding a full custom, having patience was a relatively small price to pay for getting something to be fully happy with from the ground up. So, not having to make compromises right and left (ie- unflattering offsets along with other questionable-at-best design changes that weren't greenlit by anyone in their right mind, but I digress). That and some simpler, not-so-invasive electronics or hardware swaps couldn't make compensate on account of differences being rooted more in the building process, so the potential cost of trying to change those out would be silly compared to just getting one built from the start.
For what it's worth- depending on how or who one may luck out with, sometimes the waiting time is comparable to some of those other semi-custom folks minus the weird cult vibes attached. I'm not making guarantees here, but simply stating that here and there it can work out without the feeling of having to wait over what feels like an entire lifetime and then some.