Dark Lord of the Sith type build ;)

• Thread starter Omzig
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
Dude...this hurts and I feel for you! It's not the cost of the wood, frets, truss rod and other materials that hurts...it's all of the hours that went into it.

Here's to hoping you can save it!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Omzig

Reaction score
damn, this one is taking it time, hey, one can't mess with perfection... may the force be with you... no, wait, that's the other way around... what was it that the sith used to say toeach other?

Id never use the word perfection for anything i attempt to do ;) more like dogged till its about right.

Dude...this hurts and I feel for you! It's not the cost of the wood, frets, truss rod and other materials that hurts...it's all of the hours that went into it.

Here's to hoping you can save it!

I think the fretboard/frets/led's and all that work is salvageable, the neck might even be if i can get some carbon rods in there, looking at it with the board off it seems the neck is fish tailing upwards at about the area of the 2nd fret, im thinking this might be because the rod isn't set far enough back towards the nut, i'll post some pics later on and you guys can let me know what you think...atm im thinking 4-5 hours to cut a new neck or 3-4 hours to try and fix this ;)

Omzig

Reaction score
Right ive decided that i can't be bothered spending any more time cleaning up the old neck,removing the glue & trying to fix that POS so it's getting burnt..."burning the night with the devils child.....:kd:" ;) & im just going to surface this wenge blank i have and recut the neck section....

51004169021_1714897326_c_d.jpg

I have reclaimed the fretboard/led's/rod + wheel and frets so that's not a total loss, & i replaced the dead 9th LED (which hadn't come lose at all it had just died???) and all the others are still snug and fully lit.

Hopefully getting it right the 3rd time won't make me hate this guitar once it's finished ;)

Reaction score
In my homeland we say something like this: não há duas sem três, e à terceira é de vez... :)

It is just a saying to bring up the moral when things go south for the 2nd time... we generally don't track nor count these things... just don't loose the lesson on that!

electriceye

Reaction score
After you cut the new neck, let it sit for a couple of weeks. I’ve had a few move on me with the release of the tension in the original board. PRS lets their neck blanks sit for a month.
(Although it always seems to be curly maple necks I have the issue with.)

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
In addition to letting it sit for a few weeks after cutting the neck to shape, it's also worth re-level sanding the top of it before you glue on the fret board. Or if you glue on the fretboard before cutting the neck to shape, re-radius the fretboard after a few weeks before fretting. I've had a few non laminated necks walk on me a bit, but the bonus of being really slow at building guitars is that they get a chance to take their intended form before I make mine out of them.

For as stiff and as much of a PITA it is to work with wenge, I've seen it shift more than expected just by itself. For that reason I only use it with laminated necks, or place it with opposing grains.

Omzig

Reaction score
Hey guys

Many thanks for the advice and feedback, you are all like and oasis of knowledge in my desert of ignorance ;)

So i was about to build a funeral pyre for this neck but my bro taked me out of it and conviced me to let it sit for a while then level it of and add a 2-3mm accent line between the neck and fretboard to rebuild what i'll loose and use it on another build.

In my homeland we say something like this: não há duas sem três, e à terceira é de vez... :)

It is just a saying to bring up the moral when things go south for the 2nd time... we generally don't track nor count these things... just don't loose the lesson on that!

that's agreat lesson to learn, here in thr UK we have a saying "3rd times a charm" which i take as if i fuck it up a 3rd time it's time to give it up ;)

laters

Omzig

Reaction score
So as ive had this offcut sitting for about 10 days now i'll try and get it CNC'ed into a 3 neck tomorrow, i was going to do it on friday but retuning the CNC and dropping in a new wasteboard took a bit longer than id hoped, but was worth it as i now have it transporting at a max of 2500 mm PM which is up from my old max of 1800,seems my guide wheels were a little to pinched to the rail and were gagging at higher movement speeds

Pic feels like dajavoodoo ;) 3rd time lucky

51036467123_7457928806_b_d.jpg

Omzig

Reaction score
More Glitches in the Matrix, this time with code update to inc 4x4mm carbon rods.

51040939042_513eb06b81_b_d.jpg

I didn't get chance to do the rear profile today as i was delayed this A.M. waitting around for DHL to drop my new water cooled spindle and a slab of padauk for an upcoming fretless bass/neck im working on.

Omzig

Reaction score
3rd neck cut and wohoo no major screwups ;) after a few tweaks and a bump to 10% step over i got it done in about 2hr30mins,also using an 8mm bit at 50% step over for roughing out really helped reduce the run time.

51044075012_17d57c1c43_b_d.jpg

not completely without issues though...but nothing that a little dust filling and sanding won't fix....Got a strange scalping issue on the transition between surface cuts at the head end & a little bit of tear out on the last pass of the head end...F'in Wenge

51043251733_cac0b5434c_b_d.jpg

And just to show how far back the old neck has sprung back due to that cold snap we had here it board off cleaned of glue and face down on an (almost) prefectly flatten wasteboard

51043251703_e20c9298e0_b_d.jpg

I still think i can fix it by skiming off a mm or so and adding a slightly thicker fretboard....ok onto my fretless bass build

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Everytime I see this it makes me want to get out my wenge/bubinga necked 7 string. But I keep it hidden for special occasions! :D

Omzig

Reaction score
Everytime I see this it makes me want to get out my wenge/bubinga necked 7 string. But I keep it hidden for special occasions! :D

Not sure why but my brain read that as you like to get naked with your 7 string out ;) LOL, thx for the feedback and encouragement it really does help.

So so glad I recut this neck, it been sanded up to 400 and it feels super smooth (doubt I’ll even wax this one) I’m going to leave it over the weekend (I doubt it's going to move with the CF rods in there) and I’ll glue it up on Monday

51049078428_9f17e9c1c4_b_d.jpg

Im about to start a "Consolidated Build Thread" to keep all my crap in so i'll link this thread and post updates in that one from now on.

Latest posts