Depression and Guitar Playing

• Thread starter Discoqueen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

Reaction score
Eh... Joe has always been a tool. What are you talking about?

Haha! Isn't that implied in the "more and more of a tool" part of my statement? ;)

That turdbag banned me from his forum three times! Once for standing up to an ignorant, violent, pharmaceutical pusher, once for wanting to help a suicidal forum member, and the last time for defending one of his supposed friends, Jan Irvin, from his mouthbreathing mods and followers. I think I might have to choke him until he says uncle if we ever meet. He's little though so that would be a little unfair and probably be considered bullying if I did it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Haha! Isn't that implied in the "more and more of a tool" part of my statement? ;)

That turdbag banned me from his forum three times! Once for standing up to an ignorant, violent, pharmaceutical pusher, once for wanting to help a suicidal forum member, and the last time for defending one of his supposed friends, Jan Irvin, from his mouthbreathing mods and followers. I think I might have to choke him until he says uncle if we ever meet. He's little though so that would be a little unfair and probably be considered bullying if I did it.
Why would you post on Joe Rogan's forum anyways? Who the hell even knew bullshit like that existed?

Ernesto

Reaction score
Regardless of his brotastic awesomeness and more recent CIA shilling, this is still my favorite comedy skit.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
People I've seen heal, not mask, their mental issue with modern medicine = 0
People I've personally known that were slightly in the dumps, got on meds, and attempted or committed suicide= 6
People I've seen heal using natural methods= 20+

If I tear a hole in myself or break a bone, modern medicine is awesome. That's about all it's good for though.
So, sample size of, what, 30? And you're going to discount scientifically tested treatments based over tiny sample size anecdotal evidence?

If we're going to play that game, I've probably had about two dozen friends treat depression with a combination of therapy and medication, and while some of them have struggled with particular medications and have had to get off them and on to something else due to side effects, zero of them have committed suicide and all of them have had positive results.

Meanwhile, telling people "you don't need medicine, you need more organic food" just increases the stigma on people who ARE struggling with mental illness, for turning to medication, and can be dangerous and counterproductive by keeping people with mental illness off treatments that could potentially help them. I've got no personal horse in this race, I don't suffer from mental illness, exercise and eat fairly healthy myself, but attitudes like yours can potentially kill people, by closing off viable treatment options.

EDIT - also, doctors prescribing people "slightly in the dumps" antideprtessants? I'm going to call BS on that. They either were displaying more signs of clinical depression than you're letting on, or - given the risk of side effects - the doctors in question should be sued for malpractice, because being "slightly in the dumps" isn't clinical depression.

gnoll

Reaction score
Potentially very serious problems shouldn't be trivialized by people with no real knowledge in the matter. Professionals are professionals for a reason, and people who could potentially be helped by said professionals should NOT be encouraged to stay away from them.

gnoll

Reaction score
Also, giving advice when it comes to medical/psychological issues can have VERY serious consequences. Everyone should remember that, always.

Treating people is for professionals to do.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Potentially very serious problems shouldn't be trivialized by people with no real knowledge in the matter. Professionals are professionals for a reason, and people who could potentially be helped by said professionals should NOT be encouraged to stay away from them.

Also, giving advice when it comes to medical/psychological issues can have VERY serious consequences. Everyone should remember that, always.

Treating people is for professionals to do.

Yea, but didn't you read:

psychiatrists have asked me where I got my doctorate

I mean, that basically makes him a professional now, so...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
People have offered me startup capital if I ever want a restaurant. That basically makes me a Michelin-starred chef, and as good as my seared scallops are, while they've certainly picked up a few people "slightly in the dumps," they've never yet cured someone of clinical depression. :lol:

gnoll

Reaction score
Yea, but didn't you read:

I don't care what's posted in this thread. I don't care what anyone in this thread claims to be or doesn't. It's an online forum accessible to anyone with an internet connection. No I didn't read the whole thread, I just got a bad enough vibe from it that I needed to write something. I was speaking in general terms. I didn't even write to anyone in particular or I would have quoted them.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I don't care what's posted in this thread. I don't care what anyone in this thread claims to be or doesn't. It's an online forum accessible to anyone with an internet connection. No I didn't read the whole thread, I just got a bad enough vibe from it that I needed to write something. I was speaking in general terms. I didn't even write to anyone in particular or I would have quoted them.
MFB was being sarcastic, and pointing out that this guy's "qualifications" are hardly those of an expert.

gnoll

Reaction score
MFB was being sarcastic, and pointing out that this guy's "qualifications" are hardly those of an expert.

Mmh, right after I posted that something felt a bit off. Anyway I hadn't read the whole thread like I said, didn't even know who he quoted.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score

Yeah, 100% sarcasm. I abso-fucking-lutely don't trust any rando spouting about 'holistic healing' for something like clinical depression, nor do I have any reason to believe that despite their own years of study and in-field research, in-field professionals asked a guy "where he got his doctorate"

You should definitely read the whole thread, it's pretty great to see the - pretty sure it's still at one - outlying belief about this when everyone else seems to be of the "hey, professionals are going to be your best bet," while the OP has also talked with professionals.

Ernesto

Reaction score
So, sample size of, what, 30? And you're going to discount scientifically tested treatments based over tiny sample size anecdotal evidence?

If we're going to play that game, I've probably had about two dozen friends treat depression with a combination of therapy and medication, and while some of them have struggled with particular medications and have had to get off them and on to something else due to side effects, zero of them have committed suicide and all of them have had positive results.

Meanwhile, telling people "you don't need medicine, you need more organic food" just increases the stigma on people who ARE struggling with mental illness, for turning to medication, and can be dangerous and counterproductive by keeping people with mental illness off treatments that could potentially help them. I've got no personal horse in this race, I don't suffer from mental illness, exercise and eat fairly healthy myself, but attitudes like yours can potentially kill people, by closing off viable treatment options.

EDIT - also, doctors prescribing people "slightly in the dumps" antideprtessants? I'm going to call BS on that. They either were displaying more signs of clinical depression than you're letting on, or - given the risk of side effects - the doctors in question should be sued for malpractice, because being "slightly in the dumps" isn't clinical depression.

So, you've spent ten years intensively and independently researching this? I have. If you had any idea what you're talking about, I'd take the time to address your points.

Ernesto

Reaction score
"Professional" only means that a person makes money applying the knowledge that they gained from government funded indoctrination centers using big pharma funded, blatantly biased, studies as curriculum. Actually curing people isn't nearly as profitable as covering up symptoms and causing more side effects. ;) I forgive the "doctors" though because most of them are acting in good faith but have no idea that they've been brainwashed and are blind to the fact that that their skill specialization actually prevents them from seeing the bigger picture.

Depression in hunter gatherers that live outside civilization is nearly nonexistent.
https://www.filmsforaction.org/arti...erers-hold-the-key-to-the-cure-return-to-now/

If I thought I was dealing with an open minded audience, I could post hundreds of links to accredited studies that prove the points I made here.

I've said everything I need to say in this thread. If anyone that's actually taken the time to do their own research wants read my posts and provide actual evidence to refute them, I might take the time to reply.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
So, you've spent ten years intensively and independently researching this? I have. If you had any idea what you're talking about, I'd take the time to address your points.
As Michael Bloomberg was fond of quipping, "In God we Trust. All others, bring data." I don't have to be an expert to point out that you're not an expert, and that you're drawing conclusions from an awfully small, self-selected sample group.

Let me guess, you're an anti-vaxxer, too?

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
As Michael Bloomberg was fond of quipping, "In God we Trust. All others, bring data." I don't have to be an expert to point out that you're not an expert, and that you're drawing conclusions from an awfully small, self-selected sample group.

You sound like a Suhr/Boogie playing twat?:lol:

Ernesto

Reaction score

I'm a primitive anarchist at heart and believe that Nature has a better plan than humans will ever be able to devise so I firmly believe that vaccinations devolve us and that vaccinating will likely be what creates the supervirus that kills us all.

As far as me drawing conclusions from a small sample group, your reading comprehension skills are definitely lacking. It doesn't matter whether someone does research at home or pays thousands of dollars to do it at a desk in school. Research is research and I've done enough of it to post the conclusions I've derived from it with 100% confidence in their accuracy.

Some of you guys need to open your minds a bit and actually READ for once in your lives.

Latest posts