Depression - How to get motivation?

• Thread starter vampiregenocide
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

megano28

7 String Newbie
Reaction score
Man if you met me you'd see I'm a pretty happy, confident and out-going person. A lot of these issues I talk about I keep under wraps to myself, and just carry on with life.

:agreed:

Just faking does not fix the problem, you should really think about your best qualities and then try to magnify them as much as possible...in order to truly feel confident, you have to believe that you are a valuable person. Being happy is about being satisfied/content with what you have...keep that in mind. Faking happiness and then substituting it with real happiness is different than creating a façade and leaving it that way...

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
True man, but like what has been said, eventually kaing happiness and telling yourself to be happy can become real happiness.

Once again thank you everyone for all the advice and kind words both in this thread and the rep I've been recieving. It means a lot and has given me a real lift. This is exactly why this is the best forum on the net. If I ever get to travel the globe, I will buy all of you a drink.

megano28

7 String Newbie
Reaction score
True man, but like what has been said, eventually kaing happiness and telling yourself to be happy can become real happiness.

True, but in order for that to work, you need to assess what you have and then realise you are content with what you have, that is the root of real happiness. It's something you have to do while you are faking it, in order for it to become genuine.

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
Same place as you man, still in school but I recently broke up with my girl of almost 5 years, and it's kind of sent me into a spiral, I'm 20 as well. Kinda have a pretty bleak outlook on life. I feel everything you've said, man. If you ever need someone to chat with, shoot me a pm any time.

MrTheBerry

Reaction score
Need motivation? Join the military.

Go discover Metallica. Or re-discover them. Seriously. Anesthesia (pulling Teeth) and Orion are good places to start. Throw on some Orion and lay back and just close your eyes and roll with it.

Or join the military.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Ross, I think I can help you out with this one bro.

I've been committed twice (5150) and was diagnosed with severe chronic depression. I know you're probably feeling what I was feeling back when they wanted me on meds. I felt that I was somehow weak and less of a man because I would have to take 2 pills everyday for the rest of my life. I can tell you from experience that it isn't all that bad really. To be honest, taking Prozac for my depression and Ativan for my insomnia made my life better. I wasn't so unmotivated that it took me 4 hours in order to even get out of my room to take a shower, and I started caring more about my hygiene and treating myself right. The ativan helped me go to bed at a decent hour and as a result, I wasn't going to bed at 9 in the morning and waking up at 5 in the afternoon. I could lead a fairly normal life.

I hate doctors that act impersonal and just give you a prescription and then a foot in the ass out the door later as well. But I do believe that in some people (like me) there is a chemical imbalance that needs to be regulated. Antidepressants do this for you by correcting the seratonin levels in your brain.
As a positive side effect, it also corrected my ADD problems I was having by allowing me to focus much more clearly. I did a test of this by playing a series of chess puzzles before I started my meds. After about 3 weeks of being on them, I did a similar (though not exact, otherwise I'd know the answers already) set of puzzles and my score was about double.
I'm not saying this will happen with you, just that it helped me in more ways than one.

But meds alone won't do it for you. You have to make yourself active. By active, I don't mean going to work and then coming home and sitting on your bed hating life for the rest of the evening. I mean talking with people and making connections and relationships. By finding your inner charisma, you'll find your self-worth as well.

Other things you can do that help:
- Cut down on alcohol consumption. This just makes the problem worse, and if you ARE on meds like prozac, it will make one beer feel like you just drank 4. The headache you feel the next day after doing that will be close to unbearable. I'd advise against it.

- Read. A. LOT. Especially more uplifting literature. Chicken soup for the soul is a great series that helps put things in perspective for you. In fact, I find that the more I read, the less depressed I feel.

- Exercise. Your typical 9-5 work movements won't cut it. You gotta get to a gym, or else invest in a good set of headphones/mp3 player and then start hitting the trail. I know people will tell you to get a treadmill, but there is something more rewarding about getting outside, breathing fresh air, and seeing the sights while you build up your body.

-Diet. Fix it. I can't remember exactly all the details, but I've seen on the news about scientists studying how poor eating choices can be a factor in depression. Eat more leafy greens and veggies, and all that jazz. You'll find that you'll feel better about yourself when you start to look good because you're taking better care of yourself.

-Pets. They are the best for people with broken hearts. If it wasn't for my cat Taylor, I have no idea how I would've gotten over me breaking up with my ex-fiancee. I wouldn't eat for 3 days after it happened and all I would do was curl up in bed and lay there before and after work. My cat would see that I was hurting and curl up next to me and purr. Once I swear he opened up his front paws and gave me a hug. As emo and "ghey" as it sounds, it really helped me through that. Also, the added responsibility of cleaning/feeding your pet will increase your self-worth.

-Don't be agoraphobic. This kinda ties in the with first one, but I find that the more you stick around at your house, the more you kinda brood over things and fall back into depression. Force yourself to get out of bed and find things that are worth living for. Which brings me to the next thing:

-Count your blessings. You honestly have a lot more going for you than you think you do. Some days are rough and you have to nitpick to find good things, but they are good things none the less. I remember during those 3 days, suicidal thoughts came often, but I told myself "No, because if I die, who's gonna take care of my cat?"
Even things like that will keep you from doing the worst thing you could do, which is killing yourself. Trust me when I say that it isn't worth it. When I attempted to hang myself in my closet, I was dead for a couple of minutes before they brought me back. It scared the shit out of everybody I knew and I hated myself even more for putting them through that.

And no, mental wards are not as cool as people make them out to be. It's essentially a prison and you're stuck in a room all by yourself. They won't even let you have blankets, in case you decide to use them to kill yourself.

The best advice I can give you though, is see a doctor right away. If they don't even at least try to talk to you, find a new one. Don't give up on them; keep looking for the right doctor. For all you know it could be a matter of life or death.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Thanks for all those pointers man I appreciate it, I'm going to get on the phone to the doctor and sort something out.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I'm going to re-iterate what someone else said about getting good at something.

Guitar, Call of Duty and cooking are my go-to ego boosters :yesway:

Even cleaning can give you a sense of satisfaction, it's very therapeutic.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I'm going to re-iterate what someone else said about getting good at something.

Guitar, Call of Duty and cooking are my go-to ego boosters :yesway:

Even cleaning can give you a sense of satisfaction, it's very therapeutic.

Same bro, except Halo instead of COD, and guitar pisses me off a lot because I'm not good enough. :lol: Sometimes I do randomly clean everything, or organise things. I'm kinda messy in an OCD way (I leave things in certain places, and thats how I like it, not necessarily clean but I have my own way of organising or not organising things).

Bobo

Reaction score
First off I hope you get to a happier mindset Ross. I don't guess I've ever been in a really bad depression, but I think most if not everyone goes through times where they feel somewhat depressed. So don't feel too alone, and of course try to talk to people for help (hope this little thread has, and maybe more counseling is worth a shot).

As others have said, try to focus on the positive and really try to find the things in life that make you happy. I find stuff I hate everyday. Things in people that I'm totally disgusted by. I think that the area I live in can't be best for me with the type of people I generally find around here. When you can't relate and identify with many people, and end up just rolling your eyes at most people, it can make you...well maybe depressed is too strong a word, but it dims life for sure. But I still find myself looking forward to the positive things, and trying to find new positive things. I'll never be king of the world, but I know I have good things, and it sounds like you do too. Find more and don't let depression win. Ok, that last comment sounded like a lame pep talk from the ole ball coach lol, but hey, laughter can always help too, right?

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
This is going to sound really odd...

Do you find that you PHYSICALLY lack motivation to do things.

Because I have a friend who was like that. It ended up being they were gluten intolerant...

Told you it was odd, but it's possible, and she changed her diet and felt WAY better.

Not trying to detract from actual depression, but it's a small possibility. I think it's like 90% of people who are Gluten intolerant or are Coeliacs don't know.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Cheers for the advice man, I am trying to see positives where I can.

And yeah to be honest it does kinda feel that way. I don't know, I have no idea what normal lack of motivation would feel like.

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
I thought I'd be able to come in here and help you out... but unfortunately I'm on pills.

I went to counselling for two years (for depression, anxiety, and anger management), which made things worse.

At the time I was only in junior high so the "doctor" kept telling me I'm a teenager and I will grow out of it. I will leave out all the personal details of why I should have been on medication then, or for the following few years.

I went on through the next few years down in the dumps all the time. Finally I went to a new doctor and I've been antidepressants for five or six years now, maybe longer. I'm not happy, but I'm not depressed. I'm... somewhat content.

If you want to talk to anyone, Ross, I'm your man. That is, if you don't want a "professional", but someone with years of personal experience. I've been battling depression since... well, since I can remember.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Cheers man, good (In a manner of speaking) to see someone who has dealt with the same issues and has their own results.

Do you feel a bit emotionally numb sometimes? Like you feel stuff should affect you but doesn't?

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
Cheers man, good (In a manner of speaking) to see someone who has dealt with the same issues and has their own results.

Do you feel a bit emotionally numb sometimes? Like you feel stuff should affect you but doesn't?

Yeah, man. All the time. I can go days without really feeling anything. I sometimes have to just force a few smiles and keep going.