Detuning an eight string.

• Thread starter Supaguitarbitch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Supaguitarbitch

Apleasantcryforhelp.
Reaction score
I recently bought a Schecter Damien Elite 8, i was wondering about detuning. I want to play stuff like Mastodon, or Between the buried and Me, which on a six string guitar would be tuned down. If i tune only the six strings down and leave the F# and B strings as they are, would that put uneven tension on the neck? :scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Not the best guitar to do this, you're complicating something simple :D Use a 6 string for this

Tomo009

Reaction score
Well if you detuned it would sound terrible, but if you downtuned it, it would be uneven but really unless its a massive difference to the low strings it wont matter much. I'd still tune it back up to normal when you put it away though. I do htat kind of hting all the time with my 7, doesn't seem to have affected it at all.

Kavnar

Reaction score
Should be fine. Might need different strings though depending on how much you want to down tune it.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having those extra strings in the first place? Use the B string. That should put you about in the right range.

ncbrock

Reaction score
I tried this on a seven string for a little bit, and couldnt do it. Maybe its my lack of skill but when your strumming the 6th string a lot I sometimes hit b string.

Supaguitarbitch

Apleasantcryforhelp.
Reaction score
I know it might seem as if downtuning on an eight string seems like it's defeating the purpose, but my eight sounds considerably better, than my six, and it's just nicer to play. Thanks for everyones help.

jaretthale78

7 stringed playa
Reaction score
I know it might seem as if downtuning on an eight string seems like it's defeating the purpose, but my eight sounds considerably better, than my six, and it's just nicer to play. Thanks for everyones help.
i think if i were you id just adjust my playing up or down how many frets to match the same notes as the songs u want to play along with :agreed:

thefpb2

Reaction score
After the Burial downtune a half step on RG2228's which i do to play their songs, you will be fine

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Since he's talking about playing covers, I'm assuming it's because he wants to be able to play straight from tabs of the songs.

guitar pro>detune to 8 string tuning>"do you want to transpose the track to the new tuning"?>Noes!>a little fingering fix>get drunk after the gig

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Does guitar pro 6 finally have 8 string capability? GP5 doesn't.

Yes it has...At last..But even with the GP5,you can detune it so that you have exactly the tuning of an 8,with just the one string missing...

And a response to the OP : You don't need to have the exact same tuning with the band..You have the mighty range of an 8 string :shred:...the only thing you need to do is adjust is the fingering..If you can play the notes it counts as knowing the piece,regardless of tuning so why bother? :)

Dethfield

Advanced Prototype
Reaction score
You should be able to use the B string to play the notes you need in those songs without doing any downtuning at all. Just requires some thinking on what frets to play. You dont need to play exactly what the tabs say, you only need to hit the same notes.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Yes it has...At last..But even with the GP5,you can detune it so that you have exactly the tuning of an 8,with just the one string missing...

Hmmm... now if it just weren't for the fact that I've heard a shit ton of awful crap about GP6 I might spring for it. :wallbash:

Status
Not open for further replies.