Diezel VHX knows when its been profiled

• Thread starter MetalDaze
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zilla

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
This sounds like it might be an era of DRM for amps.

I don't think they'll use this to brick an amp, BUT what i can see happening (and this would be really easy to do) is when a profiling attempt is detected that it can switch some components in/out of the circuit to totally change the sound of the amp so that you can't get an accurate profile, or they can mute the output so it can't be profiled.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score

I don't think they'll use this to brick an amp, BUT what i can see happening (and this would be really easy to do) is when a profiling attempt is detected that it can switch some components in/out of the circuit to totally change the sound of the amp so that you can't get an accurate profile, or they can mute the output so it can't be profiled.
If you'd read the TGP thread you'd know they aren't doing any of that. They're just logging the info.

zilla

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
i never said that this is what they're doing, i said this is what it could lead to down the road.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

There's no realistic way to implement DRM for amps. The Kemper sine-sweep method is the modeling method of 2010...it's not going to be the method of 2020+, and even within just the scope of the Kemper, you could still modify the reference DI the Kemper uses.

Demiurge

Reaction score
It is kind of a peculiar feature which easily temps the imagination. It sounds like an awful lot of effort- basically having the amp 'listen' for certain configuration scenarios and inputs- to program a feature with the only practical use at the time perhaps being to help dealers with people buying & returning amps under sketchy pretenses.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
My thinking is that if you profile it and return it, you may not be able to get all your money back. Or maybe they're using the information to make their own amp sims based on the most used settings of each of the amps emulated on the VHX.

Demiurge

Reaction score
^Collecting players' settings would be interesting. Maybe the precipice of a slippery slope, though. I can imagine playing through an amp and then going online to find targeted ads for theory books and lessons. :lol:

Cynicanal

Reaction score
Or maybe they're using the information to make their own amp sims based on the most used settings of each of the amps emulated on the VHX.
My guess is along these lines as well. Even if they're not planning on entering this market themselves, it's basically the best market research imaginable -- being able to find what sounds from the amp are the most desired has to be some kind of wet dream for an amplifier engineer.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
My guess is along these lines as well. Even if they're not planning on entering this market themselves, it's basically the best market research imaginable -- being able to find what sounds from the amp are the most desired has to be some kind of wet dream for an amplifier engineer.

But they could just do that by logging the time played on each setting, entirely separate from checking for profiling impulses. And obviously the setting is highly dependent on the rest of the setup. You don't know what cab the guy's going through, and you don't know what his guitar and pickup sound is like, so some reported settings could sound like shit with V30s, or some bright guitar/pickup, etc..

Also a weird amp to pull this on, given it's an attempt to proxy other Diezel amps. Given that you're presumably only going to get so close given that each has a particular power section that you're not going to get without real physical changes. Then there's already limitless profiles of those amps -- vh4, herbert, hagen, etc., out there already.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
All this thread makes me want to do is update my Kemper and download some VHT profiles.

laxu

Reaction score
Note that the VHX is not connected to the internet. Maybe when connected on Bluetooth to a computer it could send log data but even that might not be so directly possible without at least having some Diezel app open. I don't know enough about what BT is able to access just by being connected.

So the log data is largely local and I really don't know how they plan to use it.

Just so you know, logging things in digital realm is perfectly normal. In the projects I've worked on (web/app developer) we log a good amount of data but it's not for identifying the users or selling it for marketing but for things like error logs, possibly user experience improvements. On a digitally controlled amp, knowing if profiling was done could be just another interesting metric.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Gen.public with Kemper;
"Oooh, Diezel VHX. I'll save this chit and get my cash back"

Diezel; (before profiling)
NbPXue-fmZZ7ilZ_qCdlnOyr3iRt_L5Ix0CFBsOYpcKWYLP0VzdQ2Zv9tOGnOd_XBS9mhp20bHDrKU9sMWY6uD2wp5SFqzig54xT5HrVIlYr73_Qe_5T5-A6GMUvFLj5A7DRPSDLd-75TMFSPXz9XmuCtPZi

Diezel; (AFTER profiling)
76618470.jpg

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
But they could just do that by logging the time played on each setting, entirely separate from checking for profiling impulses. And obviously the setting is highly dependent on the rest of the setup. You don't know what cab the guy's going through, and you don't know what his guitar and pickup sound is like, so some reported settings could sound like shit with V30s, or some bright guitar/pickup, etc..

Also a weird amp to pull this on, given it's an attempt to proxy other Diezel amps. Given that you're presumably only going to get so close given that each has a particular power section that you're not going to get without real physical changes. Then there's already limitless profiles of those amps -- vh4, herbert, hagen, etc., out there already.

Since those sweeps are dependent on cabs, it could help with IRs as well since you can't adjust an actual speaker.

Note that the VHX is not connected to the internet. Maybe when connected on Bluetooth to a computer it could send log data but even that might not be so directly possible without at least having some Diezel app open. I don't know enough about what BT is able to access just by being connected.

So the log data is largely local and I really don't know how they plan to use it.

Just so you know, logging things in digital realm is perfectly normal. In the projects I've worked on (web/app developer) we log a good amount of data but it's not for identifying the users or selling it for marketing but for things like error logs, possibly user experience improvements. On a digitally controlled amp, knowing if profiling was done could be just another interesting metric.

I'm an ethical hacker. I send data from ports or WiFi traffic to log files all the time. Sometimes pulling the data straight back out in the same terminal command. Sometimes I keep it just in case and don't yet have a use for it. That data could be valuable in diagnostics in some way. We don't know. Diezel may no know what its for yet either.

Diezel already have official amp sims.

Sure. This stuff could be used to make it better. If you make something, wouldn't you want to know on average how it is used?