DiMarzio D-Sonic 7 Pickup \m/

• Thread starter zimbloth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
jtm45 said:
Is it quiet compared to the Blaze (as in not as loud,not hum-wise)?

:lol: Uh oh, here we go again, Nick.

See my post about the DS7. In short, no, it's not as quiet as the Blaze. How much of an issue that will be for you or if you are able to overcome this issue if it is (Like I recently seem to have been able to do) is for you to decide. But Dimarzio themselves admit there is a noise issue, and they are working on it.

It does sound goddamn great, though. :D

jtm45

Reaction score
I think you mis-understood my question there TDW.

I wasn't bringing up the whole 'hum' issue again:lol:
I wouldn't even go there!:ugh:

I was asking about the actual 'volume' of the pickup in comparison to the Blaze,although ,as i do so frequently, i didn't express myself clearly enough.
Sorry!

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
jtm45 said:
I think you mis-understood my question there TDW.

I wasn't bringing up the whole 'hum' issue again:lol:
I wouldn't even go there!:ugh:

I was asking about the actual 'volume' of the pickup in comparison to the Blaze,although ,as i do so frequently, i didn't express myself clearly enough.
Sorry!
Ahh, gotcha. ;)

I'd say the volumes are nearly identical. The DS7 seems just a tiny, tiny bit louder. But basically the same.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jtm45

Reaction score
Cheers Dude:yesway:

I think i put to much bearing on DC resistances:scratch:

With the Blaze being over 20ohms and the DS7 being just over 14ohms you'd (i'd)assume the Blaze would be way louder,but then that's probably got something to do with this false belief in the relationship between resistance and volume i always get sucked in by.:lol:

I think i'm gonna' have to try me one of these there new-fangled DS7 thingies.:agreed:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
jtm45 said:
Cheers Nick:yesway:
No probs about the delay. I figured you were probably not around as i hadn't noticed you posting much.

I think that's what i needed to hear about this pickup.
The only thing that concerns me slightly is the relatively low DC resistance (think it's around the 14ohm mark?).

Is it quiet compared to the Blaze (as in not as loud,not hum-wise)?

Where did you buy yours from Nick and if you don't mind me asking,how much are they over there?
It's pointless me even trying to get one from a UK supplier 'cause they charge ridiculous money for them and it'll take forever to get here too.

I know that quite a few U.S. Dimarzio suppliers wont ship to the UK for some reason.

Where do you reckon would be my best bet to get one from (price-wise and prompt delivery wise)?

Thanks again Nick:yesway:

1) It's definitely pretty loud man. It definitely is powerful and pushes your amp well. I'd say it's similar to the Blaze if not a bit more.

2) I bought it off eBay, from that 'BanjoMikez' guy, who many people here buy pickups from. He's awesome, has a great selection, and ships fast. I don't know if he ships to the UK, but he may. I believe I paid $74 USD for mine.

jtm45

Reaction score
Thanks Nick:metal:

I checked that guy on ebay but he has nothing at all at the moment on there.

What's Eric's like for pickups?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've never used him, so I'm not sure. People seem to speak highly of him though. As for BanjoMikez, yeah.. he just has colored DS7s in stock right now it seems, not the black one I bought. You could email him and ask if he has any though.

Another place I've purchased pickups from in the past: http://www.gtrheaven.com/. They seem to have DS7's now.

jtm45

Reaction score
I had a look at his ebay auctions and it appears he doesn't ship Internationally:wallbash:

I just checked out guitar heaven too and they only ship continental US too:wallbash:

I think i heard that Dimarzio (and many other companies in the US)only allow their dealers to ship within the Americas so that they can still do business in the UK and elsewhwere at stupid prices.

Thanks anyway Nick:yesway:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, I could always buy one for you and ship it to you.

jtm45

Reaction score
zimbloth said:
Well, I could always buy one for you and ship it to you.

Good suggestion Nick. Thanks dude:metal:

I'll drop Eric an email and see what the score is with him and if it's no go i'll take you up on that offer.

I'm pretty set on the DS7 in the bridge for this project RG7 i'm doing but i've still got a nagging Bareknuckle yearning goin' on in the back of my mind.
Only prob is the BKP's are nearly three times the price of the DS7 and i ain't no rich person at the moment.:lol:

Zand3

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
hey, i just bought a d sonic 7 + air norton 7 from banjomikez as well, he reserved em both black/black for me, and he shipped em as soon as he got them, best purchase..i can't wait to put them in my dc727c, this review made me so excited to put em in hehe

Oneiros

Reaction score
man I ordered the same couple too, I am waiting every day to get em :p:p:p
cheers!!! post your oppinion pls :)

Zand3

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
they sound killer man, they're so full of tone, i'm still getting used to them so I can't say too much, but you can't not like them

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
I'm going to put one of these in my Ibby RG7321FM with an Air Norton 7 in the neck position (John Petrucci anyone? LOL!)

blumkin_pie

27inches 27stitches
Reaction score
This for mahogany sevens! Very clear and aggressive without being too much to tame down. It seemed a bit grainy in basswood though.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
D-Sonic + PAF 7 is my go-to combo for 7-strings. My one variation is an EVO7 in the bridge position if I'm looking for something slightly different, but at the moment, the D-Sonic made it to my main guitars - very nice and more versatile than people give it credit for. :)

Drumageddon

Reaction score
I can't say that the JB 7 is a tight pickup...I find it to be muddy and undefine.
I hope the D-sonic 7 is WAY more tight and defined.
But...I tried the JB 7 in a Schecter Blackjack with rosewood fretboard...

Drumageddon

Reaction score
By the way, anyone fancy the left handed Schecter Loomis FR that is out now?
I asked Schecter about putting the non-floyd model out too, but they said maybe next year...if the fans wanted it...