Dingwall 2024

• Thread starter Asgard222
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It really does blow my mind---here's a 10--15 million dollar instrument:

Just think, in 300 years my used prestige will be...

Edit: sorry, realized I'm fucking up the Dingwall thread.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Also kicking myself for not picking up an AB for sale locally a few years ago... It had some minor finish issues but it was only 1500.
I saw an immaculate Z2 5 string with a cello hip and a tasteful traditional burst over flame for like $3500 in I think 2019... Could well have been my endgame bass but I was in grad school full-time and didn't want to put that much on a card.

Probably an $8000 bass now, and I cringe every time I remember it. :lol:

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I do occasionally think about the serious violin and cello (and I guess bass) people as compared to my guitar universe. A decent violin is, what $20k? I don't really know...

I wonder if there's a "violin page" where they obsess about whether their bridge was made in 1740 or whatever? Or, maybe they're a bunch of sensible folks? I played violin for many years, but outgrew it to... chug.
In school I knew a few violin majors who were getting paid gigs and trying to go pro. Their instruments were mostly $5k to $8k from what I remember. Comparable to a concert-quality classical guitar really.

The string bass professor's orchestral instrument was $90k though...

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
In school I knew a few violin majors who were getting paid gigs and trying to go pro. Their instruments were mostly $5k to $8k from what I remember. Comparable to a concert-quality classical guitar really.

The string bass professor's orchestral instrument was $90k though...
I dated a cellist in college. Her "student" cello was 8k, and her "grad school" cello was 14k with another 1k for the bow (this was the budget option - she made a full trip to a Texas store for a week by appointment and was comparing 22-30k instruments before deciding she really couldn't afford it). She was a heavily gigging and teaching musician at the time.

She would borrow her professor's "professional" cello for all of her orchestral concerts. It was 65k.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
A buddy of mine was a professional concert player. His trumpet was around $24,000 and it took him about a month of trips to the shop and auditioning every trumpet repeatedly before choosing the one.

He explained the process of selecting it, materials, how they make and tune the bell, etc. They nerd out just as hard as anyone on TGP. When that kind of money is on the line, I'd hope they'd put some thought into it.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Gosh you guys are reminding me about all the instrument-buying conversations I had with other music majors in school. From the guy who worked at a bar and financed a $60k tuba, to the girl needing to replace a $10k cello that was reduced to literal splinters by an airline that forced her to check it.

...meanwhile I made it through grad school on an (admittedly quite good) beat-up Mexican-made guitar I got on eBay for $1100 and some borrowed lutes... :lol:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had no idea the brass game was that serious.... I knew string stuff gets ridiculous. I've seen bass bows go for new Canadian Dingwall money, which blows my mind.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had no idea the brass game was that serious.... I knew string stuff gets ridiculous. I've seen bass bows go for new Canadian Dingwall money, which blows my mind.

Internet guitar enthusiast elitism has absolutely nothing on old guard Orchestra. Like you can't even get an audition unless you have instruments of a particular pedigree available to you.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes. We must justify and encourage each other to spend lots of money.
I mean, it's like the Einstein quote, "I assure you my problems in math are greater than yours" kind of thing. Though, I saw that quote on a college poster (wall), so who knows.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Once I learned what concert musicians paid for their instruments, it totally became my excuse for buying an R9.

I'm like, "Man, compared to what I'd pay for a cello this thing is a discount".

(I'm not even joking. That was a real internal conversation I had with myself)

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Once I learned what concert musicians paid for their instruments, it totally became my excuse for buying an R9.

I'm like, "Man, compared to what I'd pay for a cello this thing is a discount".

I already started texting my wife about the cost of tubas thanks to this thread in the hope it earns me some goodwill when the UPS truck pulls up 3x this week.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
I already started texting my wife about the cost of tubas thanks to this thread in the hope it earns me some goodwill when the UPS truck pulls up 3x this week.
When I was going through my Orange amp phase it was great... they all looked the same and she never questioned why the number of knobs kept changing.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
$60,000 tuba. I can't even imagine.
It was pretty cool. It had extra valves and stuff... :lol:

An orchestral scoring class I took included presentations from professionals on various instruments. Of those tuba day was probably my favorite. Come to find out, the super-low notes metal bass players have been chasing have been available on tuba all along. Dude busted out some notes way below the range of a grand piano, and they were LOUD. He explained that even lower notes were theoretically possible; the limitation wasn't within the tuba but rather the limited amount of air a human being can produce. For that reason I decided that tuba is the most metal instrument in the orchestra.

That and it contains the most metal...

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It was pretty cool. It had extra valves and stuff... :lol:

An orchestral scoring class I took included presentations from professionals on various instruments. Of those tuba day was probably my favorite. Come to find out, the super-low notes metal bass players have been chasing have been available on tuba all along. Dude busted out some notes way below the range of a grand piano, and they were LOUD. He explained that even lower notes were theoretically possible; the limitation wasn't within the tuba but rather the limited amount of air a human being can produce. For that reason I decided that tuba is the most metal instrument in the orchestra.

That and it contains the most metal...
You want to know the only reason I don't play the tuba: spit. I don't want to drain spit. Ever.

Sorry to this thread...