Djent Band Names?

frakthygods

Reaction score
So me and my band are taking a new direction in our music, focusing on becoming tighter and heavier. Our band names before was called 'Quarantine', but we feel we want to change it to something better. We're kinda leaning more towards a more an atmospheric/djent yet maintain the progressive metalcore style in playing, so some suggestions in that direction would be awesome! Help a brother out :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Fun fact: Abbreviation for Quarantine is 'qt' , we're a pretty charming band

That was the idea. :lol:

In all seriousness, band names are quite the paradox in which you don't take seriously, yet you'll have to take seriously as it'll stick with you for the rest of the band's life, for better or worse. I've always leaned on the former, yet the latter really looms heavily over my head.

Hmmm, the only thing I can suggest is to pick something that'll be catchy enough to remember, and not too long. Nobody wants to fully pronounce ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead in it's entirety. Also name that associates with your musical direction does help but it's not mandatory.

The "Quarrantines" sugguestion, while intended as a joke has a rather serious undertone to it. A lot of the djent bands do go for the plural names as it does associate with the genre, just like how the "The" prefix bands went with garage rock a decade before. It's a marketing ploy that does work. Hell, we here in Australia have Circles, and they're actually a very good band. Plus not being an actual plural to Quarrantine, does have a sense of sly humor to it.

TL/DR, pick a band name you're all happy with but don't stress over it too much. :)

Hell, Frak Thy Gods isn't really all that bad of a name. A ton of thrash bands are named after songs from their favorite bands: Overkill, Bonded By Blood etc.

frakthygods

Reaction score

In all seriousness, band names are quite the paradox in which you don't take seriously, yet you'll have to take seriously as it'll stick with you for the rest of the band's life, for better or worse. I've always leaned on the former, yet the latter really looms heavily over my head.

Hmmm, the only thing I can suggest is to pick something that'll be catchy enough to remember, and not too long. Nobody wants to fully pronounce ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead in it's entirety. Also name that associates with your musical direction does help but it's not mandatory.

The "Quarrantines" sugguestion, while intended as a joke has a rather serious undertone to it. A lot of the djent bands do go for the plural names as it does associate with the genre, just like how the "The" prefix bands went with garage rock a decade before. It's a marketing ploy that does work. Hell, we here in Australia have Circles, and they're actually a very good band. Plus not being an actual plural to Quarrantine, does have a sense of sly humor to it.

TL/DR, pick a band name you're all happy with but don't stress over it too much. :)

Hell, Frak Thy Gods isn't really all that bad of a name. A ton of thrash bands are named after songs from their favorite bands: Overkill, Bonded By Blood etc.

Thanks heaps for that! I think we're going to ditch the whole Quarantine idea. Since we're aiming for a new atmospheric genre, I'm thinking 'The _____ Spectrum'. Not sure, what to put in that space. Any ideas? Anyone?

frakthygods

Reaction score

I would choose frak thy gods, but 'frak the gods' is already a song by periphery :C

Reaction score
Thanks heaps for that! I think we're going to ditch the whole Quarantine idea. Since we're aiming for a new atmospheric genre, I'm thinking 'The _____ Spectrum'. Not sure, what to put in that space. Any ideas? Anyone?

how about the ethereal Spectrum ? or something like that. Try looking up synonyms for atmospheric or space terms (e.g. nebula etc) and see what fits.

riffer_madness

Reaction score
Raw Dog!!!!

:lol:

{taps microphone}This thing on?{/taps microphone}

Sebastian Bach rules!

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
You shouldn't change your band name to sound more 'djenty' imo. You'll just get lumped in with the rest of the bunch. You should just keep your name, and then someday in the future if you ever want to return to your old style you can do it and everyone will be like 'hells yeah quarantine sounds old school again!'. Loads of great bands change their sound but not their name-- Behemoth, Carcass, Emperor come to mind immediately... but heck, even The Faceless have moved from the epitome of deathcore to prog death metal (with a complete absence of -core imo) but you don't see them changing their name.

To me, changing your band name too many times and without actual line-up changes/breaking up and reforming etc is characteristic of high school bands-- maybe just because the local bands that were popular when I was in high school were changing their names all the time for no apparent reason (mine too, though we were not popular at all).

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score
An important thing to remember about band names is it not only has to be memorable, but if it is typed into google it has to come up with you. For example, just typing circles into google won't get the band. (Sure, if you type circles band in, it'll get there straight away, but not everyone thinks of it.) I would for that reason stay away from single word names.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
I'm gonna echo one of my favorite posts ever on this thread:

"SPERM TRAP"

:lol:

Seriously though. "Djent" band names are so stupid that I'm starting to notice a trend with them. They're all overly-epic, one word names. Not to say that it detracts from their music, but it does turn me off initially.

Lots of people are starting to know them, but Little Tybee is from my home state, and specifically they take their name from an island off the coast of my hometown. My buddy made a good point about them, in that anybody who isn't from Tybee is probably gonna hear the name and say "WTF is a Little Tybee?!" So I think that's one avenue you can explore, come up with something and make people go, what is that and why did they name their band that? I have to hear what they sound like. (For instance, Pomegranate Tiger sounded mildly "djent" inspired, but their music quickly wiped away all doubt)

Best of luck to your search for a name, I'm going through it now and it sucks so I feel your frustration!

Latest posts