Do degrading rectifier tubes degrade tone.

• Thread starter mongey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
Did some googling and read Conflicting opinions.

been playing my dual a good amount for the first time in 2 years due to second child being born.

the pre and power tubes were pretty fresh. Changed them about 6 months before the break and wasn’t gigging at that stage. Just jamming every week or
So.

playing the amp and it just sounded really dull and flubby. Clean channel or high gain. yeah recto haters I know , that’s how they sound right.

I prefer the tube rectifiers. So playing away thinking something is wrong , switch to diode and bang it’s all good.

Now I’m thinking the rectifier tubes may be shot but some say it happens and some say they either work or they don’t.they don’t really degrade. And effect tone.

I bought the amp new in 2008 and while I’ve rolled all the pre and power tubes a whole bunch I’m not sure if i have ever replaced the rectifiers. Maybe once long ago.

Can afford to change em but it’s $80 i might not need to spend.

Tubes the issue or maybe I just like diode now ?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
$80 a rectifier tube? Where the hell are you buying tubes from?

Last edited:

mongey

Reaction score
$80 a rectifier tube? Where the hell are you buying tubes from?

Its a dual. need 2. They are 35 to 60 here in Australia depending on brand. That’s just for modern tubes. Not NOS Plus delivery.

tubes are way more expensive here in general. Won’t even tell you what Mesa
Branded power tubes costs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Its a dual. need 2. They are 35 to 60 here in Australia depending on brand. That’s just for modern tubes. Not NOS Plus delivery.

tubes are way more expensive here in general. Won’t even tell you what Mesa
Branded power tubes costs.

Wow, that's nuts. I agree Mesa is a pain in the ass when it comes to tubes, though.

wakjob

Reaction score
I guess rectifier tubes could degrade...

I've yet to encounter that one.
Mine are all from the 1950's & 1960's, and the voltages within the circuit are where they should be...:shrug:

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
- If you degrade your tubes why would they want to give you good tone? Be nice to them and they will give good tone.
- Kidding! But I'd try to get them tested first before dropping money on new ones. Make sure they're actually bad or not.
- I've never heard of they either work or don't. I guess that's true but also I'd think like other tubes they get weaker over time, which I would think would affect some voltagegoiing on which I would guess would affect tone. I could be wrong though.