Do dents you get in your guitars bother you?

• Thread starter Santuzzo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
After a the first few, I said fuck it, I'm never going to sell it, I've modded the resale value out of the thing, what the hell is a dent going to do.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AVWIII

Pope of Chilitown
Reaction score
When I bought more new guitars than used, it really bothered me. I remember I sold my second guitar because of a string of dents left by a small chain.
Now that I buy more used ones, I could really care less. That being said, I'm a pretty gentle dude, and I play sitting down, so they rarely come into such damage. Hell, I have a classical that is covered in dents and scratches from playing with fingernails.
The only exception: The back of the neck. I can't stand a dent, ding, or god forbid, a chip in the back of the neck. Ugh. If it's in an area where my thumb runs over it, even worse.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope some of you never gig, or you might have heart attacks :lol: Cost of instruments is pretty low (unless you are playing 10k + Benedetto's) so dig in, have fun, and stop worrying about a hunk of wood with some strings on it. It is going to happen eventually so why stress. (I have no problem paying 3+k for a guitar either, grand scheme that isn't too much cash)

Contra

Reaction score
The only damage on any of my guitars that bothers me are the hundred tiny scratches I have on the back of one of them from when one of my friends thought it was okay to play it with a winter coat on.
He's done far more damage in less than a minute than I've done to all of my guitars over years, and I guess that's the part that really gets at me.

Black_Sheep

Reaction score
Everyone tries to keep real good care of their guitar, of course. But dents are not something you can avoid unless you just stop playing the guitar.

Also, RG1527 is basswood, dunno, but from what i've heard, basswood bodied guitars get dents more easily cause the wood is soft.

Vinchester

Reaction score
I used to be very bothered by it, but a few days ago I accidentally put a dent on my ESP Eclipse. I didn't even blink lol. Dents happen because I PLAY my guitars so I don't mind anymore.

Unless if it's SOMEONE ELSE that hurts my stuff :mad::mad::mad:

Relinquish69

Reaction score
dings and dents that are attained through years of playing are signs that the guitar has gone through a lot with you. think along the lines of your favourite pair of shoes. no matter how dirty or worn they get, you'd wear them till the day they tear into 2 right?

nkri

Reaction score
I buy all my guitars used, so I don't care if a guitar is dented when I buy it. If I make a scratch/dent though, it drives me nuts for a day or two, then I realize it's there to be played, not looked at, and I pretty much forget it happened :lol:

Daken1134

Reaction score
My 2228 i use live has a good amount of paint chips and such and thats a guitar i dont think ill be parting with ever if i have the choice, i personally love it, i think it adds character like "this guitar has seen its fair amount of shows, seen shit, its been around and its mine" idk its a sentimental thing but i embrace dents and stuff. obviously i dont go smashing my guitar around but yeah

GXPO

Reaction score
I used to be very bothered by it, but a few days ago I accidentally put a dent on my ESP Eclipse. I didn't even blink lol. Dents happen because I PLAY my guitars so I don't mind anymore.

Unless if it's SOMEONE ELSE that hurts my stuff :mad::mad::mad:

This.

As long as it's me that dents it I can deal with it for the most part. My little brother used to be able to dent a piece of mahogany by looking at it. :lol:

squid-boy

Reaction score
Only headstock dents bother me.

Not sure why...:scratch:

:lol:

Amen, sir. A-freaking-men. I can have dents or chips in the body that don't bother me (I have a 1990 RG550!), but when it comes to the headstock... Man, that grinds my gears. I bought an LTD SC607b (that I've recently sold) and it had a chip on the end of the headstock. I could never look at it without cringing a little. :nuts:

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
stop worrying about a hunk of wood with some strings on it
The fact that solidbody electrics are essentially hunks of wood with some strings on them is the biggest reason the mindset that damage is acceptable exists at all among electric guitarists/bassists. Most instruments are much more sensitive to damage, and those who frequently play or started out on other instruments will likely be of a different mindset regarding damage to said instruments. There's also something to be said for maintaining your investments. That goes for $1k and $6k guitars alike since it's dependent on how much expendable income the owner has relative to the value of the instrument.

Dayn

Reaction score
My guitar has one tiny bit of paint chipped off, when I bashed it against the wall during a blackout. I was devastated. I collected the chips and glued them back on.

Nothing else has happened since.

WildBroskiAppears

Reaction score
My first legitimate guitar, my only guitar (Schecter Damien FR) is dented in many places, even a few on the neck. The neck dents piss me off every time I look at them, and I groan if I tap something with the guitar, but it's all expected. At this point being my first and current guitar it just makes it that much more mine.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Dents right on the top bother me. On the sides no. Any other wear and tear can go anywhere, I try and stop it but if it happens that's okay, I dig it. I just don't like those dents on the very top.