Do You Name Your Guitars?

Do you name your guitars?

• Total voters

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
So the aesthetic/image/concept/theme is just dungeons and dragons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Actual people names no. That's.... So early 2000s. lmao.
I prefer to name mine after the aesthetic or image I have in mind for a concept based around an album, song, or overall theme. Like if I have a black and green guitar I'd name it "Necromancer" or "Black forest" or something like that, kinda like a sig. I WANNA dub the kelly I just got the "Ritual Fire", but I'm deciding on what knobs/pup rings to get to compliment the name, ya know? Although it's for the most part a mental thing (you're rarely gonna "introduce" your guitars) t's all gotta come together

One does introduce their guitars to similar guitar nerds... hence the NGDs we see around here...:D it's like, look at my new girl/boy/whatever friend I just conquered kind of thing...

Reaction score
if one goes with Ibanez, one gets a mouth full to say the complete guitar name...:D

Also, naming the guitars is useful when one has more than one of the same exact brand/model/finish guitar... different tunings/setups/pickups justify different naming references.

I have 2 exactly equal guitars minus their pickups, which are similar looking but with different spces. The only differences between them are (besides pickups): a flat versus a round miniswitch lever and a cap of a push/push micro switch that differ from black in one to white in the other. Same everything else, wiring included, pot values, string gauge, tuning and setup is pretty similar.

Last edited:

SlamLiguez

Voidist
Reaction score
So the aesthetic/image/concept/theme is just dungeons and dragons?

Not exactly lol, if I was in a fuckin.... WW2 band and had a green finished guitar I'd call it "war machine" or "panzershreck" or something, you know
Like how the Michael Ammot sig is named "Tyrant" after the album, or how the Brendan Small sigs are named "Thunderhorse" and "Snow Falcon". They fit the aesthetics and themes of their respective albums/concepts

Last edited:

thedonal

Reaction score
Not generally. They go by functionals- the Epiphone, the PRS etc.

Though strat-wise my HRR strat is known as the Brown Strat (in true Gilmour/Clapton tradition).

My RG550 is called Stormbringer, being the only named guitar in my collection. Mainly with it being black and pointy, like the titled black sword. Cheesy, I know- but I'm a Hawkwind fan and love the Elric books!.

I might call one of my guitars Gordon. Just because.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Topic reminds me of Game of Thrones:

'When Olenna asks what Joffrey called his sword, Jaime replies, "Widow's Wail", to which Olenna calls Joffrey a cunt'

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I have a pair of ESP M-IIs I named that are pretty much the same except one is Black with a rosewood fretboard and one is white with a maple fretboard

I named the black on "Black Lives Matter" and the white one "All Lives Matter."

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
Since I got my silverburst a couple months ago, I just called it "this beautiful thing". Before that, there had never been any other object in my life that I had desired for so long and finally got.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
No. I feel like giving an inanimate object a name implies a deep connection or importance, and they're just chunks of wood with strings on them to me.