Do You Name Your Guitars?

Do you name your guitars?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Nope! Some of my guitars (one in particular really) mean a great deal to me, but I don't feel any compulsion to name any of them.

Zhysick

Reaction score
How you dare to name your guitar!?!?!?! It's so weird...

PS: Flo, Evo, Woody, Bones... yes... that cool but if you do it you're an asshole so it all depends on being famous? C'mon...

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
How you dare to name your guitar!?!?!?! It's so weird...

PS: Flo, Evo, Woody, Bones... yes... that cool but if you do it you're an asshole so it all depends on being famous? C'mon...

In short, yes. Famous guitars have a use for the names (as you just showed, in that we know what you're referring to when you list them) whereas the guitars in your bedroom do not.

Basically, if you name your guitars you're playing pretend guitar hero.

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
In short, yes. Famous guitars have a use for the names (as you just showed, in that we know what you're referring to when you list them) whereas the guitars in your bedroom do not.

Basically, if you name your guitars you're playing pretend guitar hero.

I'm honestly surprised this thread is still going.

A guitar being famous or not seems like an illogical reason for whether or not it's given a name.

At least in my case, I just name my guitars because I buy the same guitars repeatedly. I will keep buying SL7's until I can't. It's helpful for differentiating, especially when I go to record something. But, that's just me. I think most of the people on this forum experiment more with their guitar purchases than I do and/or will ever.

narad

Reaction score
I'm honestly surprised this thread is still going.

A guitar being famous or not seems like an illogical reason for whether or not it's given a name.

I mean...it's super logical. A thing has a name because multiple people need an unambiguous pointer to some referent. If your guitar is famous, or if you are famous and multiple people regularly handle multiple guitars you own, then naming them leads to more efficient conversation. If only you know the name of your guitar, it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and that is illogical.

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
I mean...it's super logical. A thing has a name because multiple people need an unambiguous pointer to some referent. If your guitar is famous, or if you are famous and multiple people regularly handle multiple guitars you own, then naming them leads to more efficient conversation. If only you know the name of your guitar, it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and that is illogical.

A thing has a name so that it can be identified, internal and/or external to party giving the name. It's just an organizational skill.

You gave a reason as to why one would name an instrument, which is the same reason I gave as to why I name my guitars: to organize a set of things so that they can be easily identified. So, in your example, the person being famous is irrelevant. The crux of example is someone is handling something(s) and would like to identify them. My only point was being famous seems an illogical prerequisite to naming the guitar. Not that it's illogical to name your guitars if you're famous.

But, I think we're speaking past each other. I think the hang up (and not just yours) is why give your inanimate object a human name. Because a name is just a designation. But, admittedly, I think I'm the only one making that distinction hahaha. I think because of my examples (all human names), most people are thinking I'm asking about giving your guitar a human name(?). I probably should have said name, designation, moniker, etc.

In my case, a human name is more distinct and easier to remember, because people are easier for me to remember. With a human name comes a very distinct memory.

Hope everyone is doing well today! Try to be kind to each other!

narad

Reaction score
A thing has a name so that it can be identified, internal and/or external to party giving the name. It's just an organizational skill.

You gave a reason as to why one would name an instrument, which is the same reason I gave as to why I name my guitars: to organize a set of things so that they can be easily identified. So, in your example, the person being famous is irrelevant. The crux of example is someone is handling something(s) and would like to identify them. My only point was being famous seems an illogical prerequisite to naming the guitar. Not that it's illogical to name your guitars if you're famous.

But, I think we're speaking past each other. I think the hang up (and not just yours) is why give your inanimate object a human name. Because a name is just a designation. But, admittedly, I think I'm the only one making that distinction hahaha. I think because of my examples (all human names), most people are thinking I'm asking about giving your guitar a human name(?). I probably should have said name, designation, moniker, etc.

In my case, a human name is more distinct and easier to remember, because people are easier for me to remember. With a human name comes a very distinct memory.

Hope everyone is doing well today! Try to be kind to each other!

Well I said, "In short, yes", it's only logical if you're famous, because, in short, it's for the most part only famous guitar players that (1) have techs that have to refer to specific guitars, and (2) have iconic guitars that magazines and fans need to refer to.

For the average guitar player, the only person that needs to think about the guitars is yourself. And in your own head you already have the concept of each guitar, so the name is superfluous. If you think you need to grab the black RG1239XL, you don't need to think a sentence in your head, "I need to grab the black RG1239XL" -- you just think that thought. Model name, brand name, human name... you never need a word for that thought because you never have any need for someone else to distinguish one of your guitars from another one from language alone.

In other words, if you were the last person on earth, nothing would need a name.

N3cr0p57

Reaction score
No, because they all came with their own names.

Bich
Xiphos
Sabre
Iceman
Falchion
Lucifer
Brent Hinds V
Rhodes V
Anarchy V
Baby V
Baby ML
MLcoustic
Axxion
Thunderhorse Explorer
LP
SG
Paul Allender SE
Warrior
006 Deluxe

LaoDan

Reaction score
I use the George Foreman naming convention... Today they're named Kim, cause they all sound phat, like Kim K's butt