Does aTremol-no change the feel of a guitar with floating bridge?

• Thread starter newfinator
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
I understand that when not engaged a guitar fitted with a Tremol-no feels as it did before. My question is really in regards to how it plays and feels when everything is locked down such as if it were a hard tail.

From what I've read it seems to increase sustain but does it have an effect on the feel such as pick attack, sensitivity, percussiveness, etc. I'm thinking of putting one on my UV and, before doing so, am trying to set expectations.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Any kind of tone difference will probably be subjective. There is only a proven direct positive correlation between a locked Tremol-No and general awesomeness.
With my install last night, I did notice a difference in sustain and the low end. It has a more powerful and tighter low end. The attack is also slighty snappier. It certainly didn't make the guitar sound like a hardtail - it still has that same double locking trem snap and pluck to it - but it solved most of the tonal and tuning problems I have with any kind of tremolo bridge.

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
Any kind of tone difference will probably be subjective. There is only a proven direct positive correlation between a locked Tremol-No and general awesomeness.
With my install last night, I did notice a difference in sustain and the low end. It has a more powerful and tighter low end. The attack is also slighty snappier. It certainly didn't make the guitar sound like a hardtail - it still has that same double locking trem snap and pluck to it - but it solved most of the tonal and tuning problems I have with any kind of tremolo bridge.

Thanks for the info. It's funny, one of the terms I had in mind was that I was hoping it may help is to increase "snappiness". I guess it does. : )

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The bridge doesn't move AT ALL when it's locked down, so i feel there's a more pronounced attack, and bends are more direct (i.e. you don't have to bend the string as far to get the same amount of "bend" because the bridge isn't sagging forward as you bend). I also believe the tone of the guitar is better because the springs are coupled more directly to the body by a high-grade bar of metal in the back. :)

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
If properly installed, when not engaged, meaning the guitar is fully floating, you shouldn't even be able to tell that you have one installed.