Does this tone sit well in a mix?

velopodband

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just recorded this little diddly last night...I'm doing a cover of Bulb's "Blackmachine B6 Test" song, but I'm having some trouble picking the right guitar tone out...The tone I used here is too scratchy for my taste, but what do you guys think? I'm using Guitar Rig 5, and I have a TON of eq on the tone itself because GR5 sounds like total crap otherwise haha.

https://soundcloud.com/dropkickproductiontx/trying-new-tones-on-all-the

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gamber

Reaction score
sorry man, i really dont like it. It sounds really scratchy, dull, and muddy. You using any impulses?

velopodband

Reaction score
sorry man, i really dont like it. It sounds really scratchy, dull, and muddy. You using any impulses?

I completely agree, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who thought it was bad haha. Most of the problem is my pickups. They're the stock ones that came on my Douglas Scope 727, and they're total crap. I almost have enough money to buy some Seymour Duncans for the bridge and neck though! only 30 more dollars to go!

Also, to answer your question, I use the orange cab impulses that come with Guitar Rig.

velopodband

Reaction score
Quick question also: What would your suggestion be for me to improve my tone? Keep in mind I'm on a serious budget...

velopodband

Reaction score
What EQing have you done to this?

I run my guitar through a mixer with:
1. The highs set just above center
2. The high mids are just above center
3. The low mids are directly in the center
4. The lows are only turned up about a quarter of the way

THEN:
5. I run the mixer into a Behringer Guitar Link which goes into the computer
6. On the computer, I give it a tiny boost in the mids with a digital parametric EQ
7. If it needs any extra EQ, then I will adjust the EQ for the final recorded guitars accordingly with the mix

P.S. Were you talking about the whole mix or just the guitars?

manana

Reaction score
I run my guitar through a mixer with:
1. The highs set just above center
2. The high mids are just above center
3. The low mids are directly in the center
4. The lows are only turned up about a quarter of the way

THEN:
5. I run the mixer into a Behringer Guitar Link which goes into the computer
6. On the computer, I give it a tiny boost in the mids with a digital parametric EQ
7. If it needs any extra EQ, then I will adjust the EQ for the final recorded guitars accordingly with the mix

Dont bother recording the guitar with a mixer. Recording it direct into the interface and do any EQ after the distortion/effects. Care to share the patch? :) that tone is pretty damn good. Any kind of scratching would either be from the playing or too much distortion. Try lowering the distortion but run the tubescreamer at max tone and volume.

velopodband

Reaction score
I'd be happy to share them with you, but I use EZ Mix with part of my input signal, and I can't find the presets folder anywhere. Anyone have an idea where I can find them?

manana

Reaction score
I'd be happy to share them with you, but I use EZ Mix with part of my input signal, and I can't find the presets folder anywhere. Anyone have an idea where I can find them?

Its in C:\programdata\toontrack\presets programdata is a hidden folder.

Narrillnezzurh

Sir Clipsalot
Reaction score

Just the guitars. As has been said, don't use the EQs on the mixer, do it all in your DAW.

The scratchiness everyone's referring to is likely because you're scooping the mids with the mixer before the amp sim and boosting them again after the amp sim. Try boosting the mids (1200hz or so) before the amp sim with a parametric EQ and then cutting them after the amp sim if they're too prominent, and get rid of the mixer altogether.

velopodband

Reaction score
Its in C:\programdata\toontrack\presets programdata is a hidden folder.

Okay, the thing is, I use multiple plugins in the input signal that are exclusive to FL Studio, so I'd have to either send it as a .flp file or take screenshots of all the settings...

manana

Reaction score
Okay, the thing is, I use multiple plugins in the input signal that are exclusive to FL Studio, so I'd have to either send it as a .flp file or take screenshots of all the settings...

screenshots are fine :metal:

Tyler777

Reaction score
I actually like that tone a lot. It is scratchy, but it's a djent tone... presence heavy is the name of the game.

Also your drums sound fantastic

Horizongeetar93

the sparkle guy
Reaction score
I like the tone, anything can really fit in the mix as long as it's eq'd properly in the post. But as far as the tone goes, it's a guitar tone so it should do fine :)

velopodband

Reaction score
I actually like that tone a lot. It is scratchy, but it's a djent tone... presence heavy is the name of the game.

Also your drums sound fantastic

Thanks dude! Programming drums is really fun :D

I like the tone, anything can really fit in the mix as long as it's eq'd properly in the post. But as far as the tone goes, it's a guitar tone so it should do fine :)

Sweet, thanks for the tip!

manana

Reaction score
Wow, so it really is "ezmix". I had to put a TS for more gain but damn the simplicity works! Thank you