Drop tuning - light top / heavy bottom VS normal strings with a heavier low string

• Thread starter AwakenTheSkies
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
In short, I want to tune Drop C# on 25 inch scale. I love the 10-46 set for Eb, but I hate the 10-52 set. I dislike 10-52 because I have a floating trem and I would have to set up my guitar for them, but also because I like the feel of the 10-46, and it doesn't make sense to increase the gauge on all 3 bottom strings when the only one that I will be detuning is the low E.

So what I want to try is buy the 2 sets and replace the 46 with a 52. In theory, I should get what I want, but since I've never done it, are there any disatvantages to doing this aside from having to buy 2 packs? Is there a reason why the light top / heavy bottom strings are made like that?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JK-PA

Reaction score
Only downside is buying two sets imo.
But I do the same, I'm using a 10-48 set and replace the 48 with a 62 for drop C#.

70Seven

Ibanez Foerever!!!
Reaction score
I just bought a set of Ernie Ball Ultra slinky 10-48. I'm like you I like 10-46 for Eb butI don't like the feel of a 52, I also don't like the feel of an 11 on the 1st string and an 18/19 for the 3rd string.

I got a guitar with the ultra slinky, works well in D, also tried drop C with it, its a little small for drop C but I'm ok with it. I think you might like that set for Drop C#.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
10-52 has been my choice for 90% of my guitars for almost 2 decades, so Im fine with it :lol.

10-52 E to D. 11-56 C standard. 12-60 B standard (though my bari has 14-68? And flappy haha).

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
I think there is a Dunlop set that comes with 2 size big strings for this purpose. Maybe the Kerry King signature strings?

That's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks for letting me know! Shame that I can't find them in any of the stores nearby..

10-48 sounds like a good idea too. 12-60 though has to be my most hated 6 string set haha, every time I buy it, I regret.

Stephan

Reaction score
10-52 has been my choice for 90% of my guitars for almost 2 decades, so Im fine with it :lol.

10-52 E to D. 11-56 C standard. 12-60 B standard (though my bari has 14-68? And flappy haha).
I also use 10-52 from E to D, even drop C, sometimes (24.75 scale). I think it’s indeed a very versatile set - especially if one often changes tuning on the same guitar.

but sure - in theory it seems to have too much tension on the A- and D-string. If you (awaken..) are bothered by that, I‘d go for the 10-46 set and replace the 46 with something between 48-54.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
There's typically no logical thought people put into string gauges because as you commonly see people will always refer to string gauges as e - E (IE: 10 - 46/9 - 42/11 - 56).

You will also find people will suit up majorly for the tuning they chose, I've seen people use 13 - 60 in C# and I get why they do it. But you'll typically fall under either willing to compromise your playstyle, or not. What I mean is that I know that the person who sizes up their gauges more than I would perse is because they enjoy the same tension they feel in E Standard with 10's as they would in a lower tuning so they increase the tension to make that feel more consistent.

I'm on the lighter end of the spectrum (not really), but when I tune down I typically will not use enormous strings to accomplish it nor do I care about "string balance" which became a selling point to a lot of mainstream folks.

10's in Eb are perfectly acceptable, but loose for heavy handed rhythm players by maybe a tad. You'll see those folks up their gauges to 11's (11/14/18/28/38/48), but in your case the only string you want to compensate for is your low string because that's the only one actually changing. So it's actually perfectly fine to just size up your low string to a 50 or a 52 or whatever you want to at the end of the day. You cited not liking 10 - 52's gauges because you'll have to setup your floyd trem for it, I don't understand how that's a conflict because you will have to rebalance your trem and adjust it regardless if you plan on increasing your low string's gauge only as well.

There's no downside to mixing gauges and having to buy two packs, you'll find a use for the other set eventually I imagine. What I had to do before Elixir offered more gauges than they do now is buy 3 sets for my main tunings.

10 - 46
11 - 49
10 - 56 (7 String)

And what I would do then is take the 56 from the 7 string set, leaving me with a set of 6 string 10 - 46's. Use the 56 instead of the 49 with the 11's set to get better tension in Drop C/B. Then take the 49 from the 11's set, and use it on a 6 string when I want more tension in Drop D for the low string or a more stable low Eb when tuning to Eb Standard.

Costs more money sure, but you're gonna restring those guitars anyways and it doesn't hurt to have more strings. They're cheap enough :D

4Eyes

Reaction score
I find 10-52 very balanced for dropped C on 25" scale. I tried 11-54, 11-56, 11-54 with lowest string changed for 60 and I settled on 10-52 as soon as I started to play some leads. I was tired of battling with my guitar. I'd go with 10-52 even for dropped C#

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
You cited not liking 10 - 52's gauges because you'll have to setup your floyd trem for it, I don't understand how that's a conflict because you will have to rebalance your trem and adjust it regardless if you plan on increasing your low string's gauge only as well.

It's a PRS SE with a MannMade trem. I'd like to mention that I also don't want the 10-52s because of the nut. I'm using Black Tusq XL and those were factory filed for 11-49 at the maximum I think. With 10-46 the strings fit right in and work well with the guitar. But I don't have the tools to widen the 3 bottom slots for 10-52 and I can't pay someone to do it for me. With 10-46 +52 the low E string would be a bit stuck but as long as I leave the trem alone it should be okay.

Shask

Reaction score
I just bought a set of Ernie Ball Ultra slinky 10-48. I'm like you I like 10-46 for Eb butI don't like the feel of a 52, I also don't like the feel of an 11 on the 1st string and an 18/19 for the 3rd string.

I got a guitar with the ultra slinky, works well in D, also tried drop C with it, its a little small for drop C but I'm ok with it. I think you might like that set for Drop C#.
On my guitars tuned to D standard, I have been making hybrid sets of the bottom half of 10s and the top half of 11s, to make a 10-49 set. I saw that the Ultra set recently came out, and thought about trying it, but generally dont like EB strings. I ended up buying a few of the Daddario 10.5 - 48 sets. I am hoping they will work well. They are like the top half of a 11s set, and the smaller strings fall in between normal 10s and 11s.

I typically use the 10-49 hybrid set on my 25.5" guitars tuned in D standard and drop C, and 10-52 on my 25" scale guitars tuned to D or C# standard.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
It's a PRS SE with a MannMade trem. I'd like to mention that I also don't want the 10-52s because of the nut. I'm using Black Tusq XL and those were factory filed for 11-49 at the maximum I think. With 10-46 the strings fit right in and work well with the guitar. But I don't have the tools to widen the 3 bottom slots for 10-52 and I can't pay someone to do it for me. With 10-46 +52 the low E string would be a bit stuck but as long as I leave the trem alone it should be okay.

Just use the 52 to file the nut.

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
Why 2 string sets? Just buy the 10-46 pack you like and grab a single 52 for the bottom.

I don't have big stores around, small stores usually don't sell separate strings, I can drive to a big one, but then the single strings might be a different brand. I'm not sure if that's important, in the way that different brand strings might decay at a different rate. If I had to do what you say, I'd have to order from Thomann. Actually that might not be a bad idea, I could buy a 10-pack of 10-46 and 10 single 52s, I'd be set for a while. Hmm. I have to try it first, and see if I like it before ordering big..

gnoll

Reaction score
String sets are shit and make no sense whatsoever.

I buy balanced tension set + heavy single for drop tuning.

Strobe

Reaction score
I use 10-52 for Drop C (the Ernie Ball Skinny Top / Heavy bottom set) on a 25.5" guitar. It seems to have enough tension for me (a little loose on the high strings, but I kinda like that). It stays sufficiently tight for me on the low strings - which is where it matters in my opinion. The guitar I keep always set up in Drop C is a Jackson RR24 with a Floyd. The setup really feels great on it - so it can be done. You could probably throw on some 11's and be done with it. I would, however, definitely get it set up. My local guitar store has a great guy - cost like $50 for a full setup with a floating trem, but he does a lot better job than I do and I am very happy with how it plays.

ixlramp

Reaction score
String choice is useless in guitar shops, buy online =)
I'm using Black Tusq XL and those were factory filed for 11-49 at the maximum I think. With 10-46 the strings fit right in and work well with the guitar. But I don't have the tools to widen the 3 bottom slots for 10-52 and I can't pay someone to do it for me.
It is easy to widen a slot using a very cheap 'diamond needle file' with a curved side. Just thoroughly research online first to learn how to do it right. Do not buy an expensive 'guitar nut slot file' to do it.
Without filing slots you will always be restricted, it is just something you have to face.
Filing a slot with a string is a bad idea, it cuts poorly and contaminates the windings with plastic dust.

And yes it is obviously best to just use the set you like plus a carefully chosen single for the detuned string. Otherwise you will undesirably increase the tension of some strings.
For the same tension when detuned 2 semitones, you need to mulitply gauge by 2 ^ (2 / 12) = 1.122.
46 * 1.122 = 51.6 so a 52 is similar tension.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
I buy two sets at a time for certain tunings. A lot of sets just aren't optimised for certain tunings. For me personally 9-46 (or maybe 49) works really nicely for drop C#.

Screwhead

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
With a floating trem, the absolute key to not having to do any fine tuning of the inner springs is to match the string tension as EXACTLY as possible. So, if in Eb your Eb has 17.3lbs of tension, you're going to have to find a single string of the right gauge that, when tuned to c#, is also 17.3 lbs.

There are some Excel spreadsheets to help out, and I'm also a fan of stringtensioncalculator.com, though, that being for khalium strings specifically, had some weird gauge choices..

I think, though, that no matter what, you're going to have to tweek the springs at least a little bit, but using a string tension calculator, you should be able to get in the right ballpark.

First, plug in your sing gauges, set what they're all tuned to, then just change the Eb to C# and go up a gauge or two until you find ones that gives you as close as you can get to the tension when it's tuned to Eb.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can buy any gauge of any string available in singles from Stringjoy and others, try 'em all.